The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

I think Aho is just proving a point here with the offer sheet.  He wanted 5 years, the team wanted 8.  He is basically forcing the Canes hands at 5 years.  

Canes wait a full 7 days, screw over the Canadians, and easily match.

Just now, gocanes0506 said:

I think Aho is just proving a point here with the offer sheet.  He wanted 5 years, the team wanted 8.  He is basically forcing the Canes hands at 5 years.  

Canes wait a full 7 days, screw over the Canadians, and easily match.

Then I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat for 7 days straight!

5 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Did Montreal just offer sheet Aho? 

Montreal has given Aho an offer sheet

5 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

8.5 million for 5

Beautiful, we're essentially done. Canes either match it or offer him more money for more years before he signs the Montreal offer.

Edited by LakeLivin

3 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

8.5 million for 5

Should we be worried?  I mean wth is going on TD and DW? He is worth 7.5 but the market is set high right now and you need to overpay the kid and get him his 8.5-9mil. 

1 minute ago, caniac6 said:

So, does this mean we are signing Aho for 8.5 X 5?

Did Aho agreed to this offer from Habs? If no then it doesn't count. Am I correct?

3 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Beautiful, we're essentially done. Canes either match it or offer him more money for more years before he signs the Montreal offer.

No option to offer more term or money. Match or player is gone and you get picks.

1 minute ago, bluedevilcane said:

If Dundon let’s Aho walk, it will be hard to support this team. It should never have come to this.

If he lets him walk, I'll take back everything I said in his and Waddell's defense of thinking they wouldn't go cheap so he could lose public support and move the team. 

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Is there any reliable report that he actually signed the offer sheet?

According to CTV he signed it, so we either match or I guess lose a lot of games (and fans)

21 minutes ago, remkin said:

I understand. I am so tired of medioce goaltending that I'd take the shot. We have lots of back up too.  Mrazek is not without risk though, either. He's had good seasons before too. Mrazek was #19 in save percentage for NHL goalies last year. Lehner was #2. He was #1 in the playoffs. In the regular season .930 regular and .936 playoffs. That is rarefied air.

Further, he put up .924,and .920 three and four years ago, and even when struggling .908. Which Mrazek has done a couple of times too.

BUT, your point is fair. Add to that, Mrazek had great chemistry here. I am a happy fan if we sign Mrazek. But just once I would like to see us with a full on elite goalie back there and would take the risk. But that's just me, I could be wrong (especially when it comes to goalies).

Like you, I can not be sure that what I am suggesting is foolproof.  I was born and raised in Hartford, and thus a lifetime Whaler fan/Canes transplant.  In addition, I am a lifetime Yankees fan, and as such, am hugely familiar with free agent experiments.  What I have learned is that players that come up through the Yankees system seem to have less pressure on them from the NY media, and fans are rooting for their success.  Players who have succeeded elsewhere and sign long term expensive contracts through free agency go there with a ton of pressure on their backs.  Some succeed, many do not.  With a fellow like Lehner, I am not sure pressure is such a good idea.  Petr came to the Canes as an experiment on a short term deal.  Hey, the experiment worked, let's extend it.

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If Dundon stays to form, he will trade Aho.

player who got offersheet cannot be traded. 

Edited by Bonivan

Saw a rumor of $21 million in first calendar year including signing bonus.  I stand corrected on my earlier comment that nobody would send him an offer sheet.:Oops:

DW has said we will match any offer. If we don't both DW and TD will take a BIG hit to their credibility and judgment. I can't believe we won't pay our top scorer 8.5. 

:facepalm2:  How is anyone even seriously considering the possibility that Canes don't match that amount, and especially since they'd only get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd?    Habs just did us a favor; Canes sign Aho and when it comes to future negotiations with other key players they can "blame" the amount on the Habs.  

So much for many of us who thought nobody would offer sheet Aho. DW said we would match any offer so it's up to Dundon now