The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

m saying we are going to have to pay 21 million dollars in the next 12 or 24 months (someone feel free to let me know which).

Kyrule, unless someone answered you, and I apologize if I'm repeating here, but as I understand the "bonus part" the initial $10.5 mil is when we match and the 2nd comes one year later, thus it's $21 mil in a 12 month period.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Kyrule, unless someone answered you, and I apologize if I'm repeating here, but as I understand the "bonus part" the initial $10.5 mil is when we match and the 2nd comes one year later, thus it's $21 mil in a 12 month period.

Thanks Kjun.

From poking around more I see that it is 21 million in a 12 month period which furthers my point above.

Wish you would have posted earlier and saved me the time. 😛

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, alabos said:

sorry i am habs haters from quebec.......i hate what marc bergevin did to the canes.....i just want to know if he had a lot of chance that the canes did not match the offer????

Thanks for this and as you might guess, Marc Bergevin did not endear himself to a Bunch of Jerks, but then that's what we've come to expect from Canadians (possibly with you as an exception). I've read it bantered around in Habsville (coining that word) that the thought possibly was that our owner, having just lost $70 mil or whatever the investment was in this failed pro football league, coupled with having to complete payment for the Canes with Karmanos as well as possible looming  NHL lockout may doom this club to having to not match? Those speculating need to read up on TD's financial activities, as all that is a bunch of crap? I fully think that out of pride, Tom Dundon will match and woe be unto Les Habs because I'd guess TD could be ruthless?

2 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Kadri and Rosen traded to Colorado for Barrie and Kerfoot.

Aho's 3rd year significantly more than Duchene's career best.

1 minute ago, cclifford10 said:

Aho's 3rd year significantly more than Duchene's career best.

???

I think your response was meant to be tied to someone else’s quote.

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks for this and as you might guess, Marc Bergevin did not endear himself to a Bunch of Jerks, but then that's what we've come to expect from Canadians (possibly with you as an exception). I've read it bantered around in Habsville (coining that word) that the thought possibly was that our owner, having just lost $70 mil or whatever the investment was in this failed pro football league, coupled with having to complete payment for the Canes with Karmanos as well as possible looming  NHL lockout may doom this club to having to not match? Those speculating need to read up on TD's financial activities, as all that is a bunch of crap? I fully think that out of pride, Tom Dundon will match and woe be unto Les Habs because I'd guess TD could be ruthless?

OK I'M NOt sure to understand all because i'm french.....but for me its ugly that the habs do that to the canes  whne marner, point, laine or connor was the best candidate do to our team salary cap.....tat i said before i hate the habs i was nordiques before and hate the habs.......i'm sure that bergevin do that because of his day who has sign no big name and want to save time in front of his fans who want big name.......the habs has a lot of young player but no offense and price his 32 that the time left for cup.........i'm going sleeping but hope that dundon will match the offer for u aho will be great player in this league.......young man just 21.......him and svechnikov will be great in the future.......so good luck to u all....

• Like 2

Just to point out how out of control this signing bonus 💩 is:

With the offer-sheet that Aho signed, his actual salary will never be more than $750,000.

The rest is signing bonus money. Aho gets a HUGE signing bonus every year for five years.

They seriously need to change how much, and how long you can pay a signing bonus. It makes a mockery of how a contract is meant to be structured, and what a signing bonus was intended to be vs. actual salary.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, alabos said:

OK I'M NOt sure to understand all because i'm french.....but for me its ugly that the habs do that to the canes  whne marner, point, laine or connor was the best candidate do to our team salary cap.....tat i said before i hate the habs i was nordiques before and hate the habs.......i'm sure that bergevin do that because of his day who has sign no big name and want to save time in front of his fans who want big name.......the habs has a lot of young player but no offense and price his 32 that the time left for cup.........i'm going sleeping but hope that dundon will match the offer for u aho will be great player in this league.......young man just 21.......him and svechnikov will be great in the future.......so good luck to u all....

Thank you again and from your response, one day I hope we meet. Your English is excellent, much better than my French. In short, I think we will match. And I agree, I think Bergevin was trying to save face. That plus bully a small team. As far as your Nordiques team is concerned, I have long been a fan and wish you a team back soon (not the Canes though).

The Hurricanes ticket revenue last year was 22 million.

We have to pay Aho 21 million within 12 months.

So basically our entire ticket revenue from last season will be going to Seabass over the next year.

Thanks Aho!  😉👍🏻

Long day at work, and just now plowing thru the Aho debacle. Lots to unpack from it, and as sharing with our Quebecois friend, I personally wouldn't y'all can guess what if Bergevin were on fire!! Not that he's the sole culprit as I think we have arrived at this point as a "Perfect Storm" so to speak?

Now, 1st point I'd make is that focus on the offer sheet and it's financial encumbrances is easy, but are we overlooking several side issues which are equally important, "forest for the trees" scenario. Our friend, top_shelf makes and has been making a good point of fiscal responsibility in the league, and particularly with this player. If I'm reading him correctly, and Brind'Amour seems to be pumping the brakes too, namely, Is this player rugged enough to take the physical pounding to play 1C and therefore justify throwing him insane money? True, at this moment, he is undoubtedly our best player with respect to scoring, but Brindy seems to question something, and he's walked in those shoes? True, others have responded that in today's game, a GM cannot wait around for a player to "justify" a huge salary as vultures are lurking (Bergevin comes to mind) who will swoop in and poach a player away taking the chance of continued upward growth. 

So, now a 2nd point. Did Waddell's rather public blaise attitude on an Offer Sheet play into this? I realize GM speak maintains an aura of unpredictability, but this uncalled for aloofness is the 2nd time recently that fans have been mislead into unrealistic confidence, both with the Fox kid and now Aho, that ended badly. Now I'm equally sure that DW like all good GMs needs to maintain confidentiality in his dealings, but then I'd suggest not opening his damn mouth, rather than misleading an avid fan base starving for league wide credibility. His attitude may have also embolden Aho's agent to act as he did? 

A 3rd point I'd make comes under the issue of "haves and have nots". Gary Bettman, whom I unlike most tend to respect, likes to strut his mantra of league "parody"? And we see this play out in standings, playoffs etc, but I ask, with this strong arm tactic employed by Montreal, apparently with the blessing of CBA rules, is there parody between the way the "bigs" play vs "small market teams"? I've queried before and not sure I've gotten a response, Can the big market teams with undoubtedly their army of legal expertise find loopholes not envisioned by those with less expertise? Ergo, forcing us, TD if you will, into close to a no win situation. And yes, it might work out this time, but at what cost? A parallel thought, Why didn't Bergivin go after a "big" vulnerable market team, Toronto for example?

One last thought and then I'm going to sleep. How do we judge Aho's role in this? Is he an innocent bystander in this, mislead by an avaristic agent, or was he complicit in its unfolding, thus suggesting his unhappiness here? I think the answer to this question is huge as the fashioning of this offer sheet to me makes it very financially unwise to trade Aho before his 4th or 5th season, and apparently if we wait to the 5th, than he gets trade protection? From Aho's public persona, he appears very humble and respectful, but now, with his tacit agreement to a trade, are we seeing a different side of him? This also brings the issue heretofore unimagined, does this team continue to build around Aho as its centerpiece, or does this action refocus team allegiance?

Probably all of this was over thought, but those were my feelings. 

• Like 1

Kjun, I assume you were questioning the reality of "parity" in the league? I doubt anyone thinks there is any "parody" in this situation, just lots of tragedy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

Kjun, I assume you were questioning the reality of "parity" in the league? I doubt anyone thinks there is any "parody" in this situation, just lots of tragedy.

I found that word swap to be brilliant.  😀

It's a parody of parity.

There clearly is more here than wanting a good player.  This was an attack of rich on the poor for sure.  And I don't mean TD.  I'm talking teams of course.  For the last 20 years the Canes have been a pain in the butt to the "rightful inheriters of mother hockey.". Their occasional insurgencies need to be put down.  This was a salvo in that war.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Now we should take the full amount of time to match so it hampers Montreal, but the casual fan likely doesn’t understand all of this so we will likely match sooner rather than later to ease the angst amongst the fan-base.

Waddell is actually on the record saying he's in no hurry to "make a decision." All over Quebec, panties are in a wad...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bing_Chow said:

I don't know the details about RFA/UFA but there is something valuable about this 5y deal that players want. Matthews signed a 5y contract earlier this year too. If someone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it.

5 is the new 8.

For one thing, they never know when they'll be traded or locked out (the current CBA expires after 20-21) since owners/GMs are fickle things. So players want to make as much money as possible as soon as possible, and a front-loaded deal like this one certainly achieves that (although the tax hit is ridiculous). Plus, shorter deals give players added bites at the FA apple within their careers; if their current team is on a downward trend when their deal comes due, they can potentially move to one with a better shot at a championship while still able to make a significant contribution--and be paid handsomely (again) for doing so.

Owners, meanwhile, would prefer to pay a guy like Aho now for eight years, then sign him to a reduced (or declining) contract as he begins to age out of the league, because owners love certainty, i.e., knowing their fixed costs, for as long as possible. But if they were smart, they'd embrace the options that shorter deals like this one offer. The Canes just potentially saved money, if Aho falters, has injury issues (heaven forbid), etc., versus the cost of an eight-year deal. And as Coastal noted, since the deal is front-loaded, the Canes' payroll will drop just as the next wave of talent is coming out of their ELCs. 

Deals like this are essentially a hybrid of what used to be called bridge deals, i.e., a bridge to the payoff deal (when the player had fully matured). They were typically valued between an ELC and the big payday, and the term was typically three years, so the team could be sure their clearly skilled but still skinny kid would fill out into the adult stud they hoped for. If not, they'd move him.

This deal and Matthews' and even Gaudreau's (last year) are the agents' counter to that. They essentially extend the "bridge" by a couple of years and get their clients mature moolah to boot, plus (when they're super young, like SeaBass) a chance to earn that kind of money for 10 or 12 years instead of eight. Still, I think this approach gives both sides value, plus they potentially expose great players to more than one fan base during their careers, which can only be good for the game. The owners may not like prefer them, but they're essentially reaping what they've sown: They have no loyalty to individual players, so why should the players have loyalty to them?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kyrule said:

The Hurricanes ticket revenue last year was 22 million.

We have to pay Aho 21 million within 12 months.

So basically our entire ticket revenue from last season will be going to Seabass over the next year.

Thanks Aho!  😉👍🏻

I think the Canes are expected to make more this season.

5 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

Yes it was late, I was tired and that was just a slip of the tongue DDK. Thanks for catching.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think the Canes are expected to make more this season.

There is more to the finances than just tickets. IDK what percentage of overall income is just tickets. But yes I get your point and expect a bump from last years run.  Now you have to keep it going.

Nothing about this offer sheet situation sits right with me. We will match or at least I can't imagine we won't but it will leave a bitter taste. We have two GMs playing chicken with each other, we have a players agent saying the player wants to move, we will have a front loaded contract that will have its own implications, we might even have a set up for another strike with battle lines drawn over future offer sheets and bonuses.

Nothing about this sits well especially thinking if the player and our front office could of avoided this with good faith negotiations instead of becoming participants in this farce.

• Like 4

Following my epic, rem-like novel above and now that I've slept (hopefully not mixing up words), I wanted to return to a thought I'd floated there. Before that, I want to thank top for his monetary analysis and for your thoughts top.

Returning to Aho, again maybe overthinking this, but to me the possibly unintended (I say that tongue in cheek), but truly masterful part of this attack on Canes hockey, and I do believe it was so, was the potential by stating that Aho said "he really wanted to play in Montreal", to drive a wedge in that room and fragment the team. I do acknowledge that several believe that idea is overblown, but I just ask, if you were Aho's teammate and you read that in the media, how would you feel about his loyalty? I mean, my question would be, Dude, do you really want to play here and with us? So, I ask, Did Bergevin create a caustic atmosphere in that room, effectively neutralizing one of our primary weapons? That's why I think it critical to try to understand Aho's part in this. Of course he'll deny those words/thoughts, but the damage, though we can blow it off as GM speak, might have been done?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Nothing about this sits well especially thinking if the player and our front office could of avoided this with good faith negotiations instead of becoming participants in this farce.

This was what really ****** me off yesterday...and the whole signing bonus BS that needs to die in the next CBA.  

• Like 2

Pardon my english. As a french mtl citizen and habs fan I have to say we are shocked at the turn of event. But I think you guys have to know that ots getting impossible here to get good players. They dont want to live the stress of being looked under the microscope and off corse taxes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kjell Dahlin said:

Pardon my english. As a french mtl citizen and habs fan I have to say we are shocked at the turn of event. But I think you guys have to know that ots getting impossible here to get good players. They dont want to live the stress of being looked under the microscope and off corse taxes.

From what I’ve seen, the microscope in Montreal is nowhere near as bad as Toronto.

You guys don't get it do you?  Some of you do though.  Bottom line:  TD and DW were low balling Aho and not offering him fair market value.   So Aho took matters into his own hands in order to achieve fair market value.  Good for him and shame on management for being cheap skates and potentially losing a 1C and their best player for peanuts.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kjell Dahlin said:

But I think you guys have to know that ots getting impossible here to get good players. They dont want to live the stress of being looked under the microscope and off corse taxes.

We don't really care and have had it with Quebec in general.  Hope the fleas of one thousand camel's infest your collective armpits.  Thx for stopping by.

• Like 2