The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

This validates my practice of never putting names on my jerseys. They either get traded or they let you down eventually. When I made a trip to the PNC during '17-'18, I had to choice to pony up extra for the "Aho" or not. Glad I didn't. 

1 hour ago, caneswincup said:

We’Ve now let every other impending RFA know they can use the same tactic when their time comes.

First off, they can't use the tactic unless another team uses an offer sheet.  And after this fails miserably for Bergevin, I don't see much likelihood of that happening.  Not only will the Habs not get Aho, I'm sure the Canes will go out of their way to screw the Habs any chance they get, be it offer sheets of their own, trades, whatever.

But secondly, in all fairness, if available, why shouldn't other pending RFAs use that tactic?  Offer sheets were negotiated between the owners and players for a reason.  RFAs have very little bargaining leverage.  The point of the offer sheet is to provide some protection so a player doesn't get taken advantage of if his team significantly "undervalues" him compared to the rest of the league.

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm worried about negative fallout in the locker room.  Players already weighing in.  Oh, wait . . .:P

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 5

Glad this is behind us and we can move forward. I don't blame either side for this turning into a semi circus and wish it could of been avoided. I still don't  get the negativity centered around Aho and feelings that he let the team down. Yes Aho signed the offer sheet but who wouldn't with 21 mil staring you in the face. It's  evident that the offer sheet as structured was the doing of the agent as he knew it was what Aho wanted and that the Canes would match it without a problem and would move the needle in getting the contract signed. Montreal's effort was futile. Aho didnt want to go to the Canadians and wants to stay with Carolina. His team mates wont view him any differently and there will be no Cancer in the room. Aho will continue his strong effort as he only knows one style of play and he hates to lose. I know it is a different scenario but I haven't seen one post of negativity about McGinn going to arbitration. He is excercising his right to get the best contract as Aho did. On another note there was a report from Waddell that JW seems to be leaning towards coming back but still needs more time for his decision.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm worried about negative fallout in the locker room.  Players already weighing in.  Oh, wait . . .:P

Pretty funny, right?

• Like 1

I read somewhere on this fan site - I could be wrong - that the $21M all counts against our cap in the same year?    What is the per year hit against our cap?    If it is only 8.4M then in my mind Montreal did the GM a favor of not having to deal with this issue the rest of the summer.   It looked like it was headed that way.   So if everyone thinks the locker room will be o.k. with this then hey - we win.   I have a feeling that professional athletes probably take these things in better stride than us mere mortals.   Go Canes!!

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Glad this is behind us and we can move forward. I don't blame either side for this turning into a semi circus and wish it could of been avoided. I still don't  get the negativity centered around Aho and feelings that he let the team down. Yes Aho signed the offer sheet but who wouldn't with 21 mil staring you in the face. It's  evident that the offer sheet as structured was the doing of the agent as he knew it was what Aho wanted and that the Canes would match it without a problem and would move the needle in getting the contract signed. Montreal's effort was futile. Aho didnt want to go to the Canadians and wants to stay with Carolina. His team mates wont view him any differently and there will be no Cancer in the room. Aho will continue his strong effort as he only knows one style of play and he hates to lose. I know it is a different scenario but I haven't seen one post of negativity about McGinn going to arbitration. He is excercising his right to get the best contract as Aho did. On another note there was a report from Waddell that JW seems to be leaning towards coming back but still needs more time for his decision.

The way some reacted you'd think Aho had kicked their wife or slept with their dog.  Uh, wait, I don't think that's quite right . . .

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

Just now, snuffy72 said:

I read somewhere on this fan site - I could be wrong - that the $21M all counts against our cap in the same year?    What is the per year hit against our cap?    If it is only 8.4M then in my mind Montreal did the GM a favor of not having to deal with this issue the rest of the summer.   It looked like it was headed that way.   So if everyone thinks the locker room will be o.k. with this then hey - we win.   I have a feeling that professional athletes probably take these things in better stride than us mere mortals.   Go Canes!!

Nah, it's $8.45m per.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Has it officially happened yet?

No. We have made the announcement to get out of the media mud.  DW and TD said it will happen before the CBA given timeline of 7 days. 

4 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

It is done.

Actually not. Hurricanes.nhl.com only cite intention to match. 

Don Waddell, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced the team's intention to match the Montreal Canadiens' offer sheet to forward Sebastian Aho within the timeframe allowed by the League's Collective Bargaining Agreement.

42 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Has it officially happened yet?

It may not be official yet but it's all but done. Just waiting in order to screw with the Habs by tying up their resources until the last minute.  Canes have made the announcement that they'll match and are really playing up Aho on  their media sites. 

Dundon:

"I'm not angry. I'm just surprised that any team thought this had any chance of working. I guess the Carolina Hurricanes are still misunderstood if anyone anywhere thought this would be hard for us. I'm not upset with Sebastian, I am actually relieved to have this done. We all understand the players should do what they can to get their best contract. But this was never going to work for Montreal."

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 7

Just now, LakeLivin said:

Canes have made the announcement and are really playing up Aho on  their media sites. 

Dundon:

"I'm not angry. I'm just surprised that any team thought this had any chance of working. I guess the Carolina Hurricanes are still misunderstood if anyone anywhere thought this would be hard for us. I'm not upset with Sebastian, I am actually relieved to have this done. We all understand the players should do what they can to get their best contract. But this was never going to work for Montreal."

I am glad TD has broken his silence on this. That has been one of the two biggest questionmarks around this issue. The other is locker room effect, particularly one very strong willed coach comes to mind..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kjell Dahlin said:

Pardon my english. As a french mtl citizen and habs fan I have to say we are shocked at the turn of event. But I think you guys have to know that ots getting impossible here to get good players. They dont want to live the stress of being looked under the microscope and off corse taxes.

Votre anglais est aussi bon que mon francais.

I feel much better now.  😀 Nice try Hab nots. 😜 People under estimate our Canes a lot since we aren’t an original AND we our in the south. Reading the wisdom of cooler heads like Remkin backed me off of my ledge but it’s nice seeing TD confirm it. 

• Like 1

With all the initial angst about the potential negative effects of the Aho offer sheet it might ironically turn out to be a positive.  The franchise is already rallying around Aho, as are some of his teammates.  Not only have we ended the anxiety that would have come with prolonged negotiations, but the deal got done before Toronto signed Marner to some stupid contract that Aho's agent would have legitimately put forth as a comparable.  And I don't know about anyone else here, but Dundon's response makes me feel better about the future of the Canes than before the sheet was offered (see what I did there? :P)  Dundon is going to be fiscally stringent, but he said he'll spend money where it makes sense and this seems to bear that out.

Remember how the Canes turned "Bunch of Jerks" from an insult into a rallying point?  To perhaps a lesser extent, I could see something similar here.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Dundon:

This is the pitch perfect response. Like shooing a fly away. And keeping things cool with our star.

The Canadians keep coming at us, with their distain of the storm surge and now this, and we keep knocking them down with what seems like ease. When the bully keeps getting punched in the mouth eventually they move on to someone else.

• Like 1