The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

Front loading the contract is why everyone said offer sheet Aho.

That’s what we have to be worried about.

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Wow, didn't expect this from you bluedevilcane?

Why not. He’s traded every player that did not reach an agreement. With Montreal front loading the contract, wonder what we will do?

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

Front loading the contract is why everyone said offer sheet Aho.

That’s what we have to be worried about.

Do we need to match the exact structure of contract offered by Habs or just term and total money amount?

1 minute ago, bluedevilcane said:

Why not. He’s traded every player that did not reach an agreement.

He didn't trade Ferland, Mrazek, or McElhinney, so no, not every player.

1 minute ago, Bonivan said:

Do we need to match the exact structure of contract offered by Habs or just term and total money amount?

The structure as well.

The Canadians are basically forcing Dundon to spend 21 million in the first two years

I really don't know why any free agent would look at this team as a possibility. It just seems this team has a cheap reputation, regardless of the owner.

• Like 1

I’ll reiterate what I said two weeks ago: if TD and DW let Aho go, I hope Rod resigns in protest 

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

This does not endear me to Aho btw.

He signed it.

Would you not go to work somewhere else if you were offered a big raise? We keep hearing that it is a business, and this drives the point home. 

It's only July 1st.  If Aho wanted to be here, he would have continued to negotiate a little longer.  He's no longer my favorite player.  Match it because he's worth more and then trade him.

Frankly, TD and DW should have gotten the deal with Aho signed before all this started. Maybe we ought to let Aho walk and offer sheet Marner with what we've saved. 😉

7 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

This does not endear me to Aho btw.

He signed it.

I’m livid he signed it...but I’m more livid that the dumb ****s on the committee pushed him to the point of signing it 

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

Freakin’ ridiculous.

First offer sheet since Shea Weber, and its on our best player.

Figures.

Even if we match, I have no love for Aho anymore. People need to realize AHO DID THIS in cooperation with the Canadians.

🖕🏼

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

No option to offer more term or money. Match or player is gone and you get picks.

That's if he already signed it.  I know some are saying he did, but if so he should get a new agent.  I'm not sure what the grace period is to sign an offer sheet, but I'm sure it isn't within the hour, lol.  Why wouldn't Aho wait to see if a better offer sheet came in before signing this one? Other teams might be embolded by Montreal's relatively mediocre offer and submit a better one of their own.

edit: when I say "mediocre offer", I mean in relation to what might be likely to actually pry Aho away from the Canes.

Edited by LakeLivin

From TSN:

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said he expected an offer sheet to Aho to be worth more money than the five-year contract the Montreal Canadiens offered worth $8.54 million annually.

"It's certainly a surprise, it's a surprise it wasn't more," Waddell said. "Literally we got the email at 2:40 today so all people are not fully aware yet."

Waddell said Sebastian Aho's camp informed him there would not be a counter offer coming on Friday, leading him to believe an offer sheet could be coming.

Waddell called Aho the team's best player and said the team wants to keep him. He said he couldn't comment on the situation since he'd only been informed of it by the Canadiens roughly 20 minutes before his availability. 

"We'll make a decision and we'll move on," Waddell said.

10 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I’ll reiterate what I said two weeks ago: if TD and DW let Aho go, I hope Rod resigns in protest 

That's like saying, "if the contractor doesn't give me the exact new wood floors I'm looking for, then I'm just gonna burn my house down."

Just now, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

That's like saying, "if the contractor doesn't give me the exact new wood floors I'm looking for, then I'm just gonna burn my house down."

Well I sure as *edit* wouldn’t want to work for management that would be so myopic as to let their star player go for what we might let Aho go for!

1 minute ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Well if he doesn’t keep Aho there’s literally no use supporting them again. 

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

This is what that clown on TSN radio said last week that a team should do to Carolina...basically making our entire gate proceeds for the next year go solely to Aho.  This is exactly how to weaponize an offer sheet and we are now the patsy.

5 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

If Aho is gone, the house is falling down, anyway.

• Like 1