The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Well I sure as *edit* wouldn’t want to work for management that would be so myopic as to let their star player go for what we might let Aho go for!

Yes, loosing Aho would suck, but I wouldn't want to compound it by also loosing one heck of a head coach.

3 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Yes, loosing Aho would suck, but I wouldn't want to compound it by also loosing one heck of a head coach.

If we let our good players go when it's time to pay them, it really doesn't matter who the coach is.

• Like 2

If Canes lose Aho over this offer sheet, I'm done with them.

And if they trade Slavin for a 2nd round pick, I'm done with them.

And if they trade Svech for Panthers backup goalie Louis Domingue, I'm done with them.

:facepalm2:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

There will be a lot of people who will never support the team again if they let their best player go for a reasonable offer like this one. 

Not trying to be repetitive here (I know I am, though) but if he doesn't match the offer, it's basically "See ya, Raleigh"

Speaking of Rod, it was reported that he was the lowest paid coach in the league. Does he get a big raise, or will he eventually take his talent elsewhere?

2 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Id find a way to make sure Aho is playing in lovely Montreal next season and never look back.. 

No way...this is on management as much as him 

After ROR signed the offer sheet with Calgary, he was never fully accepted in Colorado.  The cheers turned to boos.  His time in Colorado was basically doomed,  Aho will never be the face of the franchise.

• Like 1

Montreal actually did us a favor IMO to some degree.

8.4 per year is fair in my opinion. We won’t get the 8 year deal we wanted but...

With an offer sheet there is no trade protection. A-hol......Aho can’t have any NMC.

Also, now we know what we are spending and can move forward.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

"We'll make a decision and we'll move on," Waddell said.

I thought he stated he would match any offer sheet. Now it is we will make a decision and move on?

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

If Aho is gone, the house is falling down, anyway.

Yeah, after Aho, this organization is so talent starved. I mean, Svech, Turbo, Nino, Jordo, Necas, Slavin, Pesce, Martinook... I mean, who are these losers?

Seriously, guys... Our AHL team just won the Calder cup, and this team just came off a phenomenal "come from behind" playoff run all the way to the Eastern Finals that ended a 10 year playoff drought, rallied behind one heck of a rookie Head Coach.

Seriously, guys...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Id find a way to make sure Aho is playing in lovely Montreal next season and never look back.. 

If I were a STH, I would wear an Aho Habs sweater to every game. They can't let their best player walk. Even if we get compensated with a bunch of draft picks, it could take years to recover from losing Aho.

The reports are that if we match, we owe the signing bonus within 5 days.  It was structured to make if difficult to match.  Aho doesn't want to be here.

1 minute ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Yeah, after Aho, this organization is so talent starved. I mean, Svech, Turbo, Nino, Jordo, Necas, Slavin, Pesce, Martinook... I mean, who are these losers?

Seriously, guys... Our AHL team just won the Calder cup, and this team just came off a phenomenal "come from behind" playoff run all the way to the Eastern Finals that ended a 10 year playoff drought, rallied behind one heck of a rookie Head Coach.

Seriously, guys...

Losing our best player would not be a good thing...

NHL Network just said that the Hurricanes may be coming back with a response.

More details after commercial break.

I wonder if they mean more than what DW already said.

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

If we let our good players go when it's time to pay them, it really doesn't matter who the coach is.

Then what's the point of being a fan?

I'm a NY Jets fan, so I know a little something about hanging on with absolutely no hope in sight. Ever hear of the Buttfumble? Yeah, good times those were.

Loosing Aho, alone, does not put us past that point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Seriously, guys...

And a lot of that was through camaraderie...you think that’ll still be in the locker room after this?  

No matter what happens, this is a black eye for this organization when it comes time for UFA’s as well as contract negotiations 

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Seriously, guys...

Really? Aho is the leading scorer. Plays on the PP and PK, and makes players that he plays with better. In other words, the best player we have, and probably the best player we have had in Raleigh since a young Eric Staal.

This shows zero respect for the Canes organization.  What s joke.  If I was TD, I would offer sheet every RFA on the market.  Screw up everyone.  Laine, Marner, rataanen.  All of them.

As for what the hell the committee is doing....why would they go out and get cheap this offseason after the season they just had.  Makes no sense.  Let’s fill up the building for the first time in 20 years and then not pay anyone.  Great strategy.

That AFL debacle is going to end up ruining the Canes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

From TSN:

Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell said he expected an offer sheet to Aho to be worth more money than the five-year contract the Montreal Canadiens offered worth $8.54 million annually.

"It's certainly a surprise, it's a surprise it wasn't more," Waddell said. "Literally we got the email at 2:40 today so all people are not fully aware yet."

Waddell said Sebastian Aho's camp informed him there would not be a counter offer coming on Friday, leading him to believe an offer sheet could be coming.

Waddell called Aho the team's best player and said the team wants to keep him. He said he couldn't comment on the situation since he'd only been informed of it by the Canadiens roughly 20 minutes before his availability. 

"We'll make a decision and we'll move on," Waddell said.

I'm sure the organization wasn't planning on front loading the contract to the extent of Montreal's  offer. There may be a decision to be made.

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And a lot of that was through camaraderie...you think that’ll still be in the locker room after this?  

No matter what happens, this is a black eye for this organization when it comes time for UFA’s as well as contract negotiations 

I'm going to at least wait until after this season to declare the sky falling.

If we loose Aho and end up in the basement of the division again? Yeah, I'll join you then.