Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

Bergevin was quoted as saying “Aho expressed he wants to be in Montreal”

Hey Aho.

🖕🏼

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

If I was TD, I would offer sheet every RFA on the market.  Screw up everyone.  Laine, Marner, rataanen.  All of them.

I realize this was mostly venting but you can only submit an offer sheet if you have the picks to back it up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wa1010 said:

I realize this was mostly venting but you can only submit an offer sheet if you have the picks to back it up.

I’d go after Marner before Laine...but since they don’t want to pay Aho, what makes you think they’ll want to pay MORE for those two?

Edited by AWACSooner

4 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Really? Aho is the leading scorer. Plays on the PP and PK, and makes players that he plays with better. In other words, the best player we have, and probably the best player we have had in Raleigh since a young Eric Staal.

I'm not denying that Aho is a great player for us, but if this team's success is based around the production of one, single player, then this team was never any good to begin with.

Loosing Aho would hurt, but the team will still be here. Anyone who wants to jump ship is welcome to. I won't be doing that.

• Like 2

This is either a tempest in a teapot and we will match for 8.5 . . . OR it's a lowdown sorry a** move by Montreal's GM who'll pay for it eventually . . . OR it is a gambit played by Aho's agent and Montreal to get Aho out of his RFA status with Carolina, which tells us that Aho doesn't want to be here. The structure of the OS suggests either #2 or #3.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Hey Aho.

🖕🏼

Based on the actions of the Canes manangement, if I were a player, I'd rather be in Montreal, too. I think I smell smoke from bridges burning.

• Like 1

The offer sheet is a slap in the face.  This is exactly what all the Canadian reporters have been talking about for the last few days. What s joke.

I have a bad feeling the canes are going to match and then trade Aho.  TD doesn’t seem like he is the kind of person who likes to have his hand forced.

in actuality, the contract isn’t even that bad.  Probably actually under market value for Aho.

• Like 1

Just now, Kyrule said:

Hey Aho.

🖕🏼

He made that insinuation based on the fact he signed the offer sheet. 

A few years back, Gordon Hayward signed an offer sheet with the Charlotte Hornets. You think he wanted to be a Hornet?

1 minute ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

I'm not denying that Aho is a great player for us, but if this team's success is based around the production of one, single player, then this team was never any good to begin with.

Loosing Aho would hurt, but the team will still be here. Anyone who wants to jump ship is welcome to. I won't be doing that.

You don't understand how hard 1cs are to get.

• Like 2

Just now, iceman11 said:

The offer sheet is a slap in the face.  This is exactly what all the Canadian reporters have been talking about for the last few days. What s joke.

I have a bad feeling the canes are going to match and then trade Aho.  TD doesn’t seem like he is the kind of person who likes to have his hand forced.

in actuality, the contract isn’t even that bad.  Probably actually under market value for Aho.

He can't be traded for at least a year if we match the offer.

• Like 1

If the canes don’t match, this will lead to the team becoming a joke in the league.  You don’t let your best player walk.  

47 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

He didn't trade Ferland, Mrazek, or McElhinney, so no, not every player.

They were not RFAs, they were UFAs and at least 2 will not be back

6 minutes ago, BoDarville said:

He made that insinuation based on the fact he signed the offer sheet. 

A few years back, Gordon Hayward signed an offer sheet with the Charlotte Hornets. You think he wanted to be a Hornet?

He not only signed a deal that is intentionally structured to make it difficult for a small market team to match, he signed it early on the first day of the signing period.  He is definitely worth more money than that, but is it really worth it if he doesn't want to be here?  ...and he clearly doesn't want to be here.  He has been my favorite player since game 1, but he can freeze his sack in Canada for all I care.

8 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

You don't understand how hard 1cs are to get.

You've totally changed my mind, sir. In fact, if we lose Aho, I am now openly rooting for them to just move the team.

#AhoOrQuebec

y'all are crazy.

Aho wanted 5 years and he made it happen.  Aho didnt counter after Vancouver.  My guess is he didnt want this to drag out all summer.

He doesnt want to leave, if he wanted to leave he would have gotten more than the Canes would match.

DW will slow play cuz they can.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

It sure looks like Aho doesn’t want to be here long term. They all say the convenient things when asked, but even insistence on a five year term seems to suggest he wants to be UFA ASAP so he can jump. And signing an offer sheet that is specifically written to cripple the organization, cash-wise, if they match is kind of an a**hole move. I know much of this is on the agent but without Aho signing it it’s nothing.

Why not just call Waddell and say, “this is the AAV and term of the offer sheet we have; what do you want to do?”  All this SB crap is just designed to favor the large, richer franchises who are incapable of drafting and developing their own talent. 

Huck the Fabs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

You've totally changed my mind, sir. In fact, if we lose Aho, I am now openly rooting for them to just move the team.

#AhoOrQuebec

I was just up in Quebec City yesterday...beautiful city ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

#AhoOrQuebec

Lol that'd be like rooting for the sun to rise in the east.

the RFAs want 5 years because the cap is expected to take a big jump over the next 4 years.  We add in the Seattle market money and the new TV deal.  The revenue and the cap is expected to make a good jump.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Then what's the point of being a fan?

I'm a NY Jets fan, so I know a little something about hanging on with absolutely no hope in sight. Ever hear of the Buttfumble? Yeah, good times those were.

Loosing Aho, alone, does not put us past that point.

What's the point of being a fan? You have a nerve asking that. Nobody would be concerned with the future of this team if they were not fans. We got a taste of success last year, and we don't want to lose our best player, and wait another 10 years. Aho might be gone, and based on the way this team operates, Slavin, Pesce, Hamilton, Faulk, Svetch are all going to be gone when their contracts are up. And, I don't give a flip about the Jets.

• Like 1

It really does stink to be a Canes fan on free agent day.  They never do anything.  And now, they get cheap shot to make things even worse

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

#AhoOrQuebec

You were questioning people's level of fandom, and saying you were with the team regardless of possibly losing their best player, and now you want them to move? Please make up your mind.