The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

30 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

The reports are that if we match, we owe the signing bonus within 5 days.  It was structured to make if difficult to match.  Aho doesn't want to be here.

Wow.  Bad day for the Canes so far.  How the heck will this playout?  The longer DW lets it sit out there the more sour things turn with Aho and the fan base and the entire NHL looking at us like what a bunch of jerks.  Who would ever want to play in an organization that doesn’t pay. This will leave a bad stain on us if it is not resolved quickly with Aho signing here

• Like 2

I don't know why Montreal did this. Seems like they are testing Dundon and his non traditional hockey approach to the game. I'm not even sure how we should respond. What really bother me is this;

Waddell said Sebastian Aho's camp informed him there would not be a counter offer coming on Friday, leading him to believe an offer sheet could be coming.

That to me indicates something went really bad, really sour in the negotiations. I do know in this league if you want to play you have to pay. I can't fathom how we let it come to this. But we did. Maybe Aho, for whatever reason wants out of Carolina. 

This day just continues to go downhill...and it becomes more apparent that the problem is our owner

• Like 3

Just now, OBXer said:

That to me indicates something went really bad, really sour in the negotiations. I do know in this league if you want to play you have to pay. I can't fathom how we let it come to this. But we did. Maybe Aho, for whatever reason wants out of Carolina. 

Nothing went sour.  Aho wanted 5 years and we were set on 8.  Instead of going the whole summer, he went out and found someone who would give him 5.  He gets what he wants a month earlier.  Knowing that Aho didnt come back with an offer says Aho was only going with 5 years and didnt want to waste his summer worrying about it.

Just now, AWACSooner said:

This day just continues to go downhill...and it becomes more apparent that the problem is our owner

nothing about today says any of that.  

• Like 1

A 1st, 2nd and 3rd is nowhere NEAR what Aho is worth. Sign him. If he doesn't want to be here trade him a year later. But he has to be matched. I'm not saying if I'd be done with the team, but the team would be done. We said we'd match any offer. This is not the 4 first rounders offer that might allow some thought. Our decision should be simple. Match.

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Nothing went sour.  Aho wanted 5 years and we were set on 8.  Instead of going the whole summer, he went out and found someone who would give him 5.  He gets what he wants a month earlier.  Knowing that Aho didnt come back with an offer says Aho was only going with 5 years and didnt want to waste his summer worrying about it.

Maybe but not a reason not to make a counter.

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't know why Montreal did this. Seems like they are testing Dundon and his non traditional hockey approach to the game. I'm not even sure how we should respond. What really bother me is this;

If Aho doesn't want to be here, I'd let him go. I blame the Canes for not negotiating in good faith. The goalie coach left, the coach of Charlotte left, the Asst. GM is leaving. It might be possible that this is a lousy organization to work for.

Starting to get some bad feelings on our committee.  I mean almost every office employee has jumped ship, Mrazek and Mcelhinney did not have a strong desire to sign here, Skinner wanted out, and now its being reported that the Montreal GM says Aho really wants to be in Montreal.   

*edit* is going on behind closed doors that nobody seems to want to be here?!

If Aho really didn't want to be here, and if Mtl really wanted him, the AAV should have been higher. They made it too easy for CAR to match. DW didn't even faze at the AAV. By all accounts, 8.5mil is about right or a touch too low for Aho. It was the terms that was the sticking point. Aho wants 5 and DW wants longer. Is it possible that Aho wanted to stay, but the only way to get 5yr was to use another team to force DW? 

3 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Starting to get some bad feelings on our committee.  I mean almost every office employee has jumped ship, Mrazek and Mcelhinney did not have a strong desire to sign here, Skinner wanted out, and now its being reported that the Montreal GM says Aho really wants to be in Montreal.   

*edit* is going on behind closed doors that nobody seems to want to be here?!

what was the Montreal GM going to say? the truth?!?  "yea, um, we know we got played into signing a cheap offer sheet because Sebastian wanted to stay in Carolina. He wanted 5 years and we were glad we could help out his negotiations with Carolina."

Also all the folks leaving were Francis and JR guys.  New management teams usually get new people.  A lot of chicken littles today.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bing_Chow said:

If Aho really didn't want to be here, and if Mtl really wanted him, the AAV should have been higher. They made it too easy for CAR to match. DW didn't even faze at the AAV. By all accounts, 8.5mil is about right or a touch too low for Aho. It was the terms that was the sticking point. Aho wants 5 and DW wants longer. Is it possible that Aho wanted to stay, but the only way to get 5yr was to use another team to force DW? 

They probably know how cheap this team is.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

A 1st, 2nd and 3rd is nowhere NEAR what Aho is worth. Sign him. If he doesn't want to be here trade him a year later. But he has to be matched. I'm not saying if I'd be done with the team, but the team would be done. We said we'd match any offer. This is not the 4 first rounders offer that might allow some thought. Our decision should be simple. Match.

I'm curious rem, and am asking this out of ignorance. With the offer that is said to be tremendously front loaded, for those saying "match and then trade after 1 year", don't we stand to lose a ton of money that way?

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm curious rem, and am asking this out of ignorance. With the offer that is said to be tremendously front loaded, for those saying "match and then trade after 1 year", don't we stand to lose a ton of money that way?

That’s a good point. Then sign him and keep him. No I just don’t think you can let a guy of that caliber go for almost no return

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Wouldn't that make his trade value even higher (for teams with cap space)?

Edited by wa1010

Don't know if this is just the GM talking out his behind or if he has had conversations with AHO.  But for those who haven't seen this is from NBC sports.

General manager Marc Bergevin said that Aho has accepted the team’s offer and wants to be a part of the Canadiens.

”Sebastian Aho accepted our offer,” said Bergevin. “He wants to come to Montreal. He sees our youngsters coming up in the organization and he wants to be a part of that. We’re proud, but there’s still a waiting period.”

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Good for Aho.

The bottom line is he forced the organization’s hand ON THE FIRST DAY POSSIBLE. He worked with another organization to put us in a tough position with the front loaded contract. It is a move that is considered under-handed/taboo by other GM’s, but Aho and Bergevin had no problems doing this to us. Bergevin even said that he saw a player “in a vulnerable position”, and he AND Aho made their move.

We drafted him, TD publicly praised him when he took over, and this is how he repays us.

Not to mention how this looks publicly, it is embarrassing. As someone else said, what does this do to the locker room. As someone who is thankful for the little things, I know how I would feel. How does this look to other players when they have options.

Any comments Aho makes in the future about playing for the fans, his teammates, etc. are now hollow. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

After a real feelgood season, I don't feel very good today.

Makes you wonder what is so wrong that nobody wants to be here after making the conference finals.  Usually thats the place you want to be.  

• Like 1

I think we have to match, but what does it say in the locker room that your “face of the franchise” doesn’t want to be here. He should have been signed months ago. With the money paid in year one, never mind the cap hit, the Canes will lose big dollars if they trade Aho after one or two years. The contract is a poison pill. Keep him and you have a disgruntled player in the locker room. Don’t match and you get pennies on the dollar. Match and trade in a year, you cost the team a lot of money. Aho really doesn’t want to be here (nor does most of our front office apparently). If we match, kiss him goodbye when he reaches UFA after this contract is over. I thought with all the Finns here he’d be happy in Carolina, but I guess money trumps everything else. Management screwed this up, plain and simple.

3 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Good for Aho.

The bottom line is he forced the organization’s hand ON THE FIRST DAY POSSIBLE. He worked with another organization to put us in a tough position with the front loaded contract. It is a move that is considered under-handed/taboo by other GM’s, but Aho and Bergevin had no problems doing this to us. Bergevin even said that he saw a player “in a vulnerable position”, and he AND Aho made their move.

We drafted him, TD publicly praised him when he took over, and this is how he repays us.

Not to mention how this looks publicly, it is embarrassing. As someone else said, what does this do to the locker room. As someone who is thankful for the little things, I know how I would feel. How does this look to other players when they have options.

Any comments Aho makes in the future about playing for the fans, his teammates, etc. are now hollow. 

Can I like this more than once please?

11 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

After a real feelgood season, I don't feel very good today.

Thanks Sea-*edit*...Seabass.

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Good for Aho.

Since he is RFA with no arbitration rights it was his only leverage. And regarding first day possible there was no guarantee that there would be any more offersheets coming from other teams later.

Eklund was reporting this weekend Carolina was talking trading Aho with Montreal. Yeah, Ek is a hack, but if it’s permissible, I wouldn’t be surprised if we traded Aho to Montreal. I have no idea who for. And now that this hose is beaten and dead, could we please sign a goalie?