The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

The tide has gone out on the storm surge. Guys want to play in big markets and where the organization isn’t a running joke. We couldn’t attract talent even when we’d just won the Cup.

Aho never seemed invested in being here, IMO. Now we’re stuck as if he’s really agreed to the Habs offer, he’s going to be ****** if we match it and force him back here.

All that aside, I called this one before we even traded Lindy, Hanifn, and Skinner. I couldn’t figure out why people were clamoring for him to be our next leader when it was clear he wasn’t even invested in being here.

4 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Don't know if this is just the GM talking out his behind or if he has had conversations with AHO.  But for those who haven't seen this is from NBC sports.

General manager Marc Bergevin said that Aho has accepted the team’s offer and wants to be a part of the Canadiens.

”Sebastian Aho accepted our offer,” said Bergevin. “He wants to come to Montreal. He sees our youngsters coming up in the organization and he wants to be a part of that. We’re proud, but there’s still a waiting period.”

TD needs to get in front of a camera ASAP.  Stare daggers directly into the lense.  Then state you are matching the offer and send a message to the rest of the league that you won’t be pushed around.

or else next time the Canes have an RFA, the same thing will happen.

• Like 2

Who knows what offer was made such that Aho's rep informed Waddell last Friday there would be no counter.   Either way (low offer, no counter) it is bad mojo for the organization.  Plenty of anger across the board is justified.

Personally, I never want anyone who doesn't want to be on the team - period.  Let Habs stew for 7 days and sign him.  Then you control what happens to him anytime over the next 5 years.  As for the Habs, I'd trade him to a division rival of theirs before dealing him to Montreal.  He'd look better in a blue.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Can I like this more than once please?

22 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

<snips here and there>

We drafted him, TD publicly praised him when he took over, and this is how he repays us.

Not to mention how this looks publicly, it is embarrassing.

Any comments Aho makes in the future about playing for the fans, his teammates, etc. are now hollow. 

Didn’t like Aho from day 1 and couldn’t understand how I was in the vast minority who thought we weren’t screwing ourselves by making him out to be a great standup team guy/leader over the past year.

It looks embarrassing because it is. Dundon and Waddell got outwitted big time.

Edited by caneswincup

4 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

The tide has gone out on the storm surge. Guys want to play in big markets and where the organization isn’t a running joke. We couldn’t attract talent even when we’d just won the Cup.

Aho never seemed invested in being here, IMO. Now we’re stuck as if he’s really agreed to the Habs offer, he’s going to be ****** if we match it and force him back here.

All that aside, I called this one before we even traded Lindy, Hanifn, and Skinner. I couldn’t figure out why people were clamoring for him to be our next leader when it was clear he wasn’t even invested in being here.

Not sure how we can measure if Aho was invested in staying here or not.

But I think you need to take Habs' GM words with big grain of salt. And I think in present NHL market Aho cannot accept what Canes offered (7.5 mil). On the other hand when TT agreed to $5.4 AAV it was difficult to image Aho getting $9.0+

The Canes just tweeted:

Will we match the offer sheet?

1. Yes 

2. Oui

That answers that question, we will match.

But as far as I’m concerned, the damage is done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think we have to match, but what does it say in the locker room that your “face of the franchise” doesn’t want to be here. He should have been signed months ago. With the money paid in year one, never mind the cap hit, the Canes will lose big dollars if they trade Aho after one or two years. The contract is a poison pill. Keep him and you have a disgruntled player in the locker room. Don’t match and you get pennies on the dollar. Match and trade in a year, you cost the team a lot of money. Aho really doesn’t want to be here (nor does most of our front office apparently). If we match, kiss him goodbye when he reaches UFA after this contract is over. I thought with all the Finns here he’d be happy in Carolina, but I guess money trumps everything else. Management screwed this up, plain and simple.

I think we cannot match. Locker room poison at that point.

• Like 1

I’m sure the Canes probably lowballed Aho, so the agent got ****** and looked for an offer elsewhere.

now, if Williams signs else where, then we will all know the wheels are falling off the Canes wagon

1 minute ago, caniac6 said:

If the Canes match, does Aho have to sign, or can he still sign with Montreal?

I believe i'm correct in saying if the Canes match, he's stuck in Carolina for the season.  If he truly wanted to play for the Habs, them tendering a not-so-big offer sheet is the best way to ensure he doesn't do it this season.

I thought TD was the rebel that was going to come into the league, and do business differently. Well, it seems he got played like a cheap fiddle.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This day just continues to go downhill...and it becomes more apparent that the problem is our owner

Understatement. It’s just a big, expensive hobby for TD. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

I think we cannot match. Locker room poison at that point.

Unless Canes last offer was something like 8x7.5 AAV or go back to Liiga. But I think we will never know that.

All of you with your pitchforks out directed at the player are eating right out of the billionaires' hands. To think you wouldn't do anything to maximize the amount of money you earn on your short time on earth is downright silly. "It's a business" works fine when we trade players away, but not when players want to get more? Silly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

But I think you need to take Habs' GM words with big grain of salt. And I think in present NHL market Aho cannot accept what Canes offered (7.5 mil). On the other hand when TT agreed to $5.4 AAV it was difficult to image Aho getting $9.0+

I agree with  you. This is a pure act of aggression on their part. I guess they were po'd that we beat them out for the playoffs. 

When I look at this whole thing, I realize that the thing that miffs me the most is their GM's words. Then I realize that's his words, the same guy who did the deed. He is going to embellish. 

The basic thing. Someone walks up to you and offers to pay you $21 million right now, it has to be hard to say no. 

I will say this. When TT looks at Aho making massively more than him, he can't blame our management. We had no choice. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, caneswincup said:

That's why I don't think he really wanted to leave. He only wanted another team to push Carolina just hard enough to get the 5y term, but not so hard that a cheap team would not match. Maybe he has no real intention to sign with Mtl, but of course, you'd tell Bergevin that "you want to be in Montreal" to get the offer sheet. If you really wanted to leave your team, you'd entertain an offer that you're confident your team won't match.  

I'm still trying to find a silver lining in all of this. But IMO, if there is anyone to be ****** at, it's TD. Maybe he forced Aho's camp to play hardball. 

• Like 1

Did everyone know TD filed for bankruptcy over his failed foot ball team that no longer exists?  I didn't know that til I just read it on USA today article.  Dumbest move I've ever seen anyone make, investing a ton of money in something nobody has interest in and is doomed to fail.

3 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

This. Sure, it's possible that Aho would like to go to Montreal.  Or, maybe because Aho signed the offer sheet Bergevin is making the leap that Aho really wants to go to Montreal  when his goal could be to use the offer sheet to optimize his contract here?  And don't forget that Aho's agent also represents Brayden Point, who is also an unsigned RFA.  Who knows if the agent might be manipulating Aho's situation a bit to also benefit Point?   

All I'm saying is that a lot of people seem to be leaping to conclusions when we really don't know a lot about what's actually happening at this point.

• Like 1

It seems that this may have created a lot of hard feelings towards Aho on the side of the fans, and the team. The sad thing is, is that this never had to happen. DW and TD should have given Aho an offer on par with some of the other young stars in the league. I'm wondering if both sides have burned bridges. At this point, it might be best to just let him go. 

• Like 1

I hope it was worth it for Aho.

Forget about being considered a leader here.

Forget about your comments regarding teammates and fans meaning anything.

Forget about trade protection.

Now we have full control for the next five years.

One more thing, what does this do to Brind’Amour/management who said that we only want players that want to here. Aho just threw egg on their face.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Did everyone know TD filed for bankruptcy over his failed foot ball team that no longer exists?  I didn't know that til I just read it on USA today article.  Dumbest move I've ever seen anyone make, investing a ton of money in something nobody has interest in and is doomed to fail.

Yes I posted it earlier. I dont think he has a chance.

6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I agree with  you. This is a pure act of aggression on their part. I guess they were po'd that we beat them out for the playoffs. 

When I look at this whole thing, I realize that the thing that miffs me the most is their GM's words. Then I realize that's his words, the same guy who did the deed. He is going to embellish. 

The basic thing. Someone walks up to you and offers to pay you $21 million right now, it has to be hard to say no. 

I will say this. When TT looks at Aho making massively more than him, he can't blame our management. We had no choice. 

I don't think it's an act of aggression, I think it's a smart move. They get a player like Aho for a first, second, and third? I don't think there are many teams in the league that would not make that deal.