The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

Please do not match the offer sheet for Aho.   He is not worth the effort any longer.   If we match there will be nothing but bad vibes in the locker room that could take a long time to erase.    The BUSINESS  side of hockey just showed up and who would blame a young kid who is being offered $21 million dollars within a year or two (however that works).    I have not made that kind of money in my entire life.  Heck yes I would take it.   Montreal is throwing their weight around because they can.   I think his youth prevents him from seeing the forest from the trees.  Money talks BS walks !!

18 minutes ago, Manwolf said:

Who knows what offer was made such that Aho's rep informed Waddell last Friday there would be no counter.   Either way (low offer, no counter) it is bad mojo for the organization.  Plenty of anger across the board is justified.

This got me to thinking, and wonder if this thought has occurred to anyone in the organization? Does anyone see "collusion" in this scenario? And is that not punishable? Why else would this agent be so assured that he would not need to counter? I would not be surprised about the tricks some of these slime ball agents.

I still maintain in all of this that TD has wanted to make things so miserable here for players, staff, and fans that he’d be able to get the league to agree to relocate the team to Houston.

Us making the playoffs and making a nice run leading to an increase in season ticket sales wouldn’t have been in his master plan. 

7 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I hope it was worth it for Aho.

Forget about being considered a leader here.

Forget about your comments regarding teammates and fans meaning anything.

Forget about trade protection.

Now we have full control for the next five years.

One more thing, what does this do to Brind’Amour/management who said that we only want players that want to here. Aho just threw egg on their face.

Well, mabye they will decide not to match, and let him go. They shouldn't have ever let it get to this point, but if Aho would rather be in Montreal, let him go. 

52 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

The Canes just tweeted:

Will we match the offer sheet?

1. Yes 

2. Oui

That answers that question, we will match.

But as far as I’m concerned, the damage is done.

Agree wholeheartedly. So match and look for a trading partner after one year that has star players worthwhile coming the other way. Maybe even a team Montreal competes with in their division. One team comes to mind, and we just did them a real solid. But it’s not going to be pretty at the home opener when Aho is introduced. BTW, didn’t Erik Cole make some semi-disparaging remarks about comparing the Canes to Montreal when he signed with the Habs as a UFA?

Edited by bluedevilcane

After getting back from work and taking a minute to think on this (granted, it's only been a minute, but still), this is my take:

First, let me join the distain for McKenzie. I used to respect the guy. He's just the typical Canadian homer in this case. We are not imbeciles. I don't know if he meant our social media or us, or maybe not knowing that Oui meant yes, but unless it's the last one, McKenzie drops imo, which I know will devastate him to find out.

OK, that out of the way: My take:

We were having a nice normal negotiation with our RFA. The same kind that every other freaking non imbecile team has had for years without interference. Were we pushing Aho a bit? Yes. We need to. He's an RFA, and has limited options. We need to keep the price as low as possible for the good of the team and the franchise. Did he not like the negotiation? Maybe, but that's life. Look at what Toronto did with or to Nylander. Ours was a fair negotiation. Until Bergevin and the Montreal ownership interfered. Sure it's within the rulebook, but no team had done it in years. So we should just have signed Aho to whatever he was asking for in fear? We were doing everything as it was always done until Montreal dropped this bomb into it. 

OK, so you're Aho. Suddenly your the one RFA in forever that has an option. Someone walks up to you and says, "Don't like the negotiations your having? How about I pay you $21 million right now to make it go away? Then I'll pay you the rest over the 5 years you want". How do you say no to $21 million guaranteed sitting on a table in front of you? Invest that and get even 5% and you make another million by next year. So you sign it. Maybe you tell the GM that if it's not matched, you'd be happy to play in Montreal. Maybe the GM leaves off the "if it's not matched" part and tells his fans that Aho "wants to be in Montreal."

We cannot, not match this. We will match. The total money is about right. The offer does not net us 4 first rounders. The up front cash is a pain in TD's hinder, but not a problem for us. Aho gets the 5 year term. In 5 years, if Aho is all of that, he will get a mega pay day. Maybe we trade him before that. 

But once the dust settles on this, the locker room will be fine. It's still just business. Aho will come out and say something about how he loves Raleigh, and nothing will change for at least 5 years. I like to look long term but even for me 5 years is far enough. 

Now, when do Montreal's RFA's come due? 

• Like 4

I dont blame Aho at all. It is pay day and he wanted a shorter term to maximize his worth. It should not have gotten to this point in the first point. There are pros and cons to a shorter term from an organizational standpoint but they should of just gotten it done by now.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I don't think it's an act of aggression, I think it's a smart move. They get a player like Aho for a first, second, and third? I don't think there are many teams in the league that would not make that deal.

Not been one in years. It's within the rules just like a huge hit into the boards. But it is about the definition of aggressive. 

• Like 1

Everyone needs to relax.  The players will be fine with Aho returning.  It is just part of the business.  He will be welcomed back in the locker room.  

The same thing is happening across the league with a bunch of big time RFAs that are in contract negotiations. The problem is other teams in the league know the offer would be matched immediately with those other teams. However, due to a lack of respect for the Canes, they try to prey on the Canes. 

Management should’ve never let it get this point and got Aho signed before he had a chance to hear other offers.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

Not been one in years. It's within the rules just like a huge hit into the boards. But it is about the definition of aggressive. 

Mabye there hasn't been one because a team couldn't get a player like Aho as cheaply as the Habs offered. Oh, and what's wrong with being aggressive when you get a chance like this to improve your team?

Edited by caniac6

Just now, caniac6 said:

Mabye there hasn't been one because a team couldn't get a player like Aho as cheaply as the Habs offered.

They don't have him though. Most likely they just made a lot of noise. If they get him, I'll be with you on that, but it's still an aggressive act based on norms.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

y'all are crazy.

Aho wanted 5 years and he made it happen.  Aho didnt counter after Vancouver.  My guess is he didnt want this to drag out all summer.

He doesnt want to leave, if he wanted to leave he would have gotten more than the Canes would match.

DW will slow play cuz they can.  

This times 100000000000.  It is a fan board, so I do not fault anyone for taking it personally.  We are fans, that is what we do.  However....

- Aho's agent is doing his client good by getting him a lot of money.  That is what agents do

- It is likely CAR was trying to get Aho for 8 years, Aho wanted 5.  His agent found a way to make that happen.

- The money is less than I was expecting from a offer sheet (I thought they would come in at 10+)

- We now do not have to have protracted negotiations potentially causing other hard feelings (think Nylander).  The offer is the offer, we either accept or not. 

- Dundon has plenty of money to pay the front-loaded contract, so no issue there.

- Waddell can sit on his hands for 6 days and do nothing while all of the other free agents are snapped up.  If we match, they miss out on most of the good FAs

- And we could retaliate with a offer sheet poison pill to them, when they have a RFA worth offer sheeting... :)

I am not concerned.  It is a business and Aho's agent is doing right by his client.  I expect nothing less.  Now all that said, if we do not match the offer, then we can start freaking out and hurling insults.  They will be deserved.

• Like 7

Let’s see if Marner, Laine, Tkachuk,  Provorov, Conner, Warenski, etc. sign with another team and force their organization’s hand.

I’m betting no.

What a 💩 day to be a Canes fan.

What was supposed to be an exciting day turned into a debacle.

Oh, and Remkin, whatever Aho says after this is meaningless. He was a 50% partner in this. Actions speak louder than words.

• Like 2

The only thing this offer sheet does is lower my likelihood of buying a Aho Jersey. He is only here for another 5.  In the end, I have no ill feelings towards him.

Montreal did the Canes a favor. It really isn’t a crazy contract on AAV.  Actually a very reasonable contract.  Just the bonus money that is crazy.  After the first year, it isn’t bad at all.

4 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Oh, and Remkin, whatever Aho says after this is meaningless. He was a 50% partner in this. Actions speak louder than words.

Kyrule, agree with you most of the time, but this time not. I put the blame for this entirely on Montreal. Aho had to accept the $21 million cash prize and the term he wanted, IMO. 

It's a blow to the team ego that these guys made this move, but hold off on jumping from the edge. 

If we get Lehner then we have our franchise goalie and then match Aho, and he is back for at least 5 years, and things are actually looking pretty dang good.

• Like 2

We the fans want to see players take team-friendly deals, get along with everyone in the locker room, win championships, hold hands, and sing Kumbaya. That ain't realistic. Maybe we were spoiled by Pesce, Slavin and TT? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Everyone needs to relax.  The players will be fine with Aho returning.  It is just part of the business.  He will be welcomed back in the locker room.  

The same thing is happening across the league with a bunch of big time RFAs that are in contract negotiations. The problem is other teams in the league know the offer would be matched immediately with those other teams. However, due to a lack of respect for the Canes, they try to prey on the Canes. 

Management should’ve never let it get this point and got Aho signed before he had a chance to hear other offers.

How are people blaming management?

Look at all of the big name RFA’s that aren’t signed yet. Like I said, a deal will get done eventually, but in Aho’s case he took the low road and forced us to make a decision as soon as he possibly could.

Stop blaming management, this was Bergevin and Aho’s doing...together.

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

This

10 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

He will not be viewed any differently in the locker room and his burning desire to win will not change. I don't believe he has an interest in Montreal. The Canes have more to offer than Montreal and a better chance at succeding.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

Montreal did the Canes a favor. It really isn’t a crazy contract on AAV.  Actually a very reasonable contract.  Just the bonus money that is crazy.  After the first year, it isn’t bad at all.

Wait until there is a strike during the next CBA.  Then this becomes a crappy contract for the Canes.  It is also harmful to our cap space over the next couple of years limiting the ability to get players in here that can make a difference.

My emotions are all over the place.Im ****** at Dunden/Waddell.  1st IMO we should have known an offer sheet was possible. Where there’s a lot of smoke there may be a fire. Why the #### let it come to this? We are not a free agent destination choice. We NEED to PAY our drafted players when they turn into star players! 

2nd the Habs, Bob Mackenzie, and the rest of the Carolina hating folks can 🤬 Probably still hurt we bounced them out like yesterday’s garbage in the 2006 cup run. Then we helped keep the out this year AND made it to conference finals. We are a small market team and you had to play dirty because you could. 

We had a great playoff run and now this circus. Can’t say I blame Aho as much as I may want to.  We don’t have every detail of negotiation so I’m trying to be too hasty in judging. 

40 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

And don't forget that Aho's agent also represents Brayden Point, who is also an unsigned RFA

And Carey Price.

I'm not feeling the hate being brought down on Aho and his agent.  But carry on.

• Like 1