The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Canes will match offer Sheet on Aho 5yrs 8.45mil AAV

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

You were questioning people's level of fandom, and saying you were with the team regardless of possibly losing their best player, and now you want them to move? Please make up your mind.

EcstaticHilariousBarb-small.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Called us "Bande d'imbeciles"

Thanks Coastal.

Did he mean it in a disparaging way, or was he just saying “a bunch of jerks” in French in a failed attempt at humor?

Or was he showing favoritism towards a Canadian team trying to push around a small-market team?

Just seems out of character.

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Thanks Coastal.

Did he mean it in a disparaging way, or was he just saying “a bunch of jerks” in French in a failed attempt at humor?

Or was he showing favoritism towards a Canadian team trying to push around a small-market team?

Just seems out of character.

He used this 🤣  (rofl) so I think he actually liked the tweet and came back with Bunch of Jerks in Frog.

• Like 2

After we re-sign Aho, I say, assuming they don't sign them early, we offer sheet Max Domi next year, then Jesperi Kotkaniemi the following year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, remkin said:

After we re-sign Aho, I say, assuming they don't sign them early, we offer sheet Max Domi next year, then Jesperi Kotkaniemi the following year. 

Oh TD will. Mark it down . He strikes me as vendictive.

The Hurricanes were vulnerable to an offer sheet for Sebastian Aho. They dodged a bullet: The Canadiens' tepid attempt won't be a problem.

So, while we have not yet matched, all's well that ends well. It's all been good. The Committee marches on.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, remkin said:
Per Luke:
More

The Hurricanes were vulnerable to an offer sheet for Sebastian Aho. They dodged a bullet: The Canadiens' tepid attempt won't be a problem.

So, while we have not yet matched, all's well that ends well. It's all been good. The Committee marches on.

Seriously, Montreal could of gone a lot higher and caused significant pain. TD will just swat this mosquito and move on.

40 minutes ago, remkin said:

That usually means those players have risen to such a high profile that demands such attention. I'd rather see MTL languish in mediocrity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I would love to see a free agent day or trade deadline when Canes fans come away excited about the improvements to the team, instead of wondering what in the world just happened.

That day was today. 

All these theories of malcontented players I just don't understand. I mean we just went to the Eastern Conference Final and seem to have an entire season a fantastic camaraderie.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

All these theories of malcontented players I just don't understand. I mean we just went to the Eastern Conference Final and seem to have an entire season a fantastic camaraderie.

Debbie Downers. Not wanting to understand these guys are trying to take care of themselves and families. Gotta make the cash when you can. Every time in every sport I follow when there is a tough negotiation for a star players the boards go nuts if they just won't take what the team wants them too

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BoDarville said:

If they don't keep Aho, it sends a message that no matter how good you are, they won't pay you your worth unless you're a mid-to-solid player, whom they'll overpay.

No it doesn't. It sends the message that we only pay top-10 guys top-10 money when they've actually attained that level. Which Aho has not. Plus, he is still a kid.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Debbie Downers. Not wanting to understand these guys are trying to take care of themselves and families. Gotta make the cash when you can.

Aho is a 21 year-old RFA, not some proven star who is cashing in during free agency. 

Taking care of his family? Seriously? 

Our most recent offer was 60 million over 8 years, and we would have went higher. How many families does that take care of?

With the money he was going to make anyway he could take care of his family, his future wife’s family, my family, your family, etc..

He was going to get paid more money than he’ll ever need regardless......at 21 years of age.

Edited by Kyrule
  • Like 2

I'm tickled that we're not committing to SeaBass for eight years at this stage of his career. If he can can handle the grind for the next four years, re-up him with a year left in this deal (he'll be 25) and pay him like the man we can then be sure he is. If not, head 'em up, move 'em out. 

Would be happier if we were paying him on a par with Gaudreau, but Les Cluelessness screwed that pooch for us. Which is awesome in a twisted kinda way: A bluff was the best play the most storied franchise in hockey's long history could muster. I freakin' love it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Aho is a 21 year-old RFA, not some proven star who is cashing in during free agency. 

With the money he was going to make anyway he could take care of his family, his future wife’s family, my family, your family, etc..

He he was going to get paid more money than he’ll ever need regardless.

With such physically demanding sport as hockey you never know when you might need all the money you have. I think Bickell moved back to Canada after retirement partly due to health care costs.

8 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

He was going to get paid more money than he’ll ever need regardless.

You're paying for his potential. You can't sit around until players bring 5-6y of proven production before you pay him, because other GMs will take the chance earlier. Sometimes, $$$ contracts work out, others it's a bust (Lucic). But as an owner, you gotta pay to play.

He's simply getting fair market value. 8.5m/yr is ridiculous for us mortals, but to elite guys like him, it's fair. To put things into perspective, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry wouldn't even bother waking up in the morning if they were only making 8.5m per year. 

24 minutes ago, Bing_Chow said:

You're paying for his potential. You can't sit around until players bring 5-6y of proven production before you pay him, because other GMs will take the chance earlier. Sometimes, $$$ contracts work out, others it's a bust (Lucic). But as an owner, you gotta pay to play.

He's simply getting fair market value. 8.5m/yr is ridiculous for us mortals, but to elite guys like him, it's fair. To put things into perspective, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry wouldn't even bother waking up in the morning if they were only making 8.5m per year. 

That's not perspective, it's comparing apples and oranges.

Had he been patient, Aho could have signed with us at the same money for eight years, and had an NTC for the last four years of the deal. Instead he's only gonna get five--and one year of NTC. Waddell's comment was priceless: "This means I'm going to have a good summer. I won't be spending it negotiating a contract."

In the end it worked out for both sides. Aho got what he wanted (RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW, apparently), and the org got what it needed: a bridge deal, at the end of which it'll have the sample size necessary to decide if it wants to stick with him or change horses--to, say, Svechnikov. Or Geekie. Or Goat, or Necas.

When you're as loaded as we are now, committing to a 21-year-old kid full term is beyond foolish. It closes doors. Today's events keep our options open. I want to send Les Habs les fleurs in appreciation.

Edited by top-shelf-1

13 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm tickled that we're not committing to SeaBass for eight years at this stage of his career. If he can can handle the grind for the next four years, re-up him with a year left in this deal (he'll be 25) and pay him like the man we can then be sure he is. If not, head 'em up, move 'em out. 

It's not the bridge deal you were advertising but I do agree the 5 years [buying one year of free agency] with no offer of any NTC/NMC at 8.4 is a sweet deal.  And he's making closer to 6-mil when we need to sign Svech and Necas.  Win win Top.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

It's not the bridge deal you were advertising but I do agree the 5 years [buying one year of free agency] with no offer of any NTC/NMC at 8.4 is a sweet deal.  And he's making closer to 6-mil when we need to sign Svech and Necas.  Win win Top.

I read there was a trade protection piece. He'd be eligible in the fifth year if true, I believe (you need seven years of service).

I believe he can’t be traded for one year, after that there is/can be no protection when signing an offer sheet.....I think.

Remember Shea Weber’s offer sheet was matched, and he was subsequently traded.

9 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I believe he can’t be traded for one year, after that there is/can be no protection when signing an offer sheet.....I think.

Exactly what I was referring too if it still holds true.....anybody that's not lost their mind over the last couple of days may know.

• Like 1

Thanks to Aho and Montreal we will be spending a lot of real world money in the next year or two, so any moves/additions are unlikely.

After that we should be in very good shape, financially speaking.

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

Thanks to Aho and Montreal we will be spending a lot of real world money in the next year or two, so any moves/additions are unlikely.

Now you are going over to the dark side?  Say it ain't so.  Dundon so cheap.

Just now, coastal_caniac said:

Now you are going over to the dark side?  Say it ain't so.  Dundon so cheap.

Not sure what you mean Coastal, I’ve never been on the Dundon is cheap bandwagon, quite the opposite.

I’m saying the way the contract was structured/front-loaded it was meant to put the Canes in a tough spot by forcing them to pony up now in real world money.

It was Montreal’s only hope. It failed.