The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Rating the Committee

POLL: Rate the Committee To This Point  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the total performance of The Committee to this point?

• A: Excellent
    • B: Pretty Good
    • C: Average
    • D: Poor
    • F: Fail

14 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

I keep hearing about this losing Ferland thing. Ferland was lost multiple times during the season and the team didnt really miss him all that much. He is an injury prone guy that would take up a roster and cap space and not play a lot of games. They dont have to replace him

I remember when we played Boston in our Hartford Jerseys and Ferland came out and leveled about 6 players in a row, Svech joined him and laid a few out and so did a couple other Canes.  This was amazing to see. For the first time ever we were tougher than Boston and were laying them out left and right.  I love Ferland and wish he was a Cane right now. .  I think he had shoulder injury which are painful and take a while to heal.  since his strong point was "checking", this made his game useless in the playoffs.   

However there seemed to be a "behind the scenes" problem with him.  Maybe the other guys didn't get along, maybe he hated being in Carolina, Maybe Rod didn't like something about him.  There was never an attempt to keep him here which makes it obvious there was behind the scenes thing going on.  He will be a huge asset wherever he goes and I don't think he will be sitting out much with injuries.  The guy just had a bum shoulder for the last couple months

. I lost a little respect for him when he did an interview during the playoffs and acted like bratty Marchand giving short snippy answers about his injury and why he wasn't playing.  There were rumors he was sitting himself out cause he didn't want to get hurt or something but I found that hard to believe.  Every hockey players dream is to be in the playoffs but I guess it's possible and it kind of lines up with they way things went down.  He came back in the ECF though so who knows. 

20 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

I agree with some of what your saying.  However, this summer was our chance to put together a Stanley cup team.  It's obvious we are close, we just needed to add fire power.  We all know we have the pieces to make a huge trade.  Plenty of desired D men in the NHL and AHL level, as well as picks galore.  We used neither one of those pieces to try and bring a couple of 25 goal scorers here which is what we desperately needed to get over the hump and be a Stanley cup team.  The summer's not over so this may still happen.  Up to now though, I'm just not impressed.  Same team as last year.  It's going to be tough to sustain all year with the horrible power play and goal slumps by the usual guys like Aho, Staal, Willy. 

Best case scenario:  Aho and Svech 30goals plus.  Nino,TT,  25goals plus, Staal, williams, 20goals plus.   Worst case scenario, Aho,Svech 25goals, Nino, TT, 20goals, Staal Williams 15 goals.  And of course Mrazek has an amazing year and not an "off year". 

It could happen with this team but it will take the stars aligning perfectly and everyone having an outstanding season with no major injuries.  Or we could go out and make some aggressive trades to bring in what we really need.   

If Haula is healthy he's 25 goals, and personally I think Foegele will add 10 more than last year, and Necas will add more than our #9 forward did last year. 

I am still in favor of getting another forward, but if we don't I honestly think we have enough. 

The trick is staying competitive as Svech and Necas and others really start NHL production closer to their full potential. IMO this is probably a year or two off, but closer every year. Svech and Foegele for instance should take big steps this year. 

We shall see. 

TBH I think the bigger risk is getting at least as good or better goaltending while we wait for Ned and our new Russian goalie to be NHL ready.

6 people rated the committee as average or poor.  How in the world can that be with a new group who inherited a team that had not seen playoff ice in a decade, who iced a team with about half the players new from last year, and that team made it to the ECF's?  Sometimes you don't get nice things because you can't accept nice things.  No, all the moves didn't seem like a home run, but the overall results were good.

Excellent would require bobbleheads.

• Like 5

Can't disagree with the bobblehead argument. Wonder what gives there? People love some bobbleheads. 

Interesting read this morning on the Athletic on the best contracts in the NHL based on expected productivity going forward.  Boston occupied the top 2 slots with Pastrnak and Marchand.  CAR has 2 in the top 10

#9 Brett Pesce

#10 Sebastian Aho

In addition we had three others mentioned in the comments section feedback by the writers as very good values:  Slavin, Teravainen, and Hamilton.  I think the bad contract article is out today.  Other than Reimer, I don't think we will have anyone on that list...

So in this respect, the committee is hitting it out of the park.  We are not taking on hideous contracts that will cripple us down the road.  That is good management, if not popular now...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Interesting read this morning on the Athletic on the best contracts in the NHL based on expected productivity going forward.  Boston occupied the top 2 slots with Pastrnak and Marchand.  CAR has 2 in the top 10

#9 Brett Pesce

#10 Sebastian Aho

In addition we had three others mentioned in the comments section feedback by the writers as very good values:  Slavin, Teravainen, and Hamilton.  I think the bad contract article is out today.  Other than Reimer, I don't think we will have anyone on that list...

So in this respect, the committee is hitting it out of the park.  We are not taking on hideous contracts that will cripple us down the road.  That is good management, if not popular now...

Excellent points ironman. I have gotten the distinct feeling that we are making cost-effective moves almost every time. Even with Aho we were negotiating to keep the cost down.I'd have thought Slavin and TT would indeed be in the high value area for sure. Aho is a better player than TT, but not by that much. TT neared a PPG and is locked up for 5 more years at $5.4 million per, and Slavin is a few points away from being near the top of the league and at $5.3 per. We also side-stepped paying Skinner $9.2 million per year.

I think the Aho match shows we will spend, but it is good to know that the fiscal discipline is there.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Can't disagree with the bobblehead argument. Wonder what gives there? People love some bobbleheads. 

Opening night against the Habs should be Aho bobbleheads with him holding a bag of money in each hand

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, remkin said:

I think the Aho match shows we will spend, but it is good to know that the fiscal discipline is there.

I love your choice of words. Discipline is exactly what this organization lacked under JR, PK, and even Ron Francis. Ron Francis atleast had the excuse that PK wouldn't give him the check book. It's hard to have discipline with something when you aren't given, namely money.

DW has been given those resources and is exercising great discipline with cash and cap resources to build a team. I know we all want success now, but I don't want us returning to the JR era of trying to buy immediate success for a decade of pain.

• Like 2

Fiscal discipline is essential for small market teams in almost every sport. We can't afford to throw big $$ with long term at a high end FA, when even big market teams about 70% of the time have buyers remorse by the third year of the contract. Our core group (except Faulk), all have value contracts with some term remaining. Kudo's to the committee; and to RF who signed Slavin and Pesce. As we get closer to the cap, it's important to spread the $$ throughout the lineup instead of having top heavy contracts for few players, and have to fill the holes with marginal NHLer's. Many teams find themselves in that situation, and it can take a while to clear the deck using questionable trades and buyouts (Lucic, Clarkson, Backes, Alzner, Phaneuf, Suter, Parise, etc), to name a few.

I like the way the committee is building this team.

4 hours ago, ironman87 said:

think the bad contract article is out today.  Other than Reimer, I don't think we will have anyone on that list..

Technically Marleau's contract could also be mentioned. 6.5 mil cap hit for nothing

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

Technically Marleau's contract could also be mentioned. 6.5 mil cap hit for nothing

You are right, if you consider a first round pick....nothing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

You are right, if you consider a first round pick....nothing. 

To clarify, by nothing I mean that he will not play for us. And basically the fact that Toronto had to add its first emphasizes that Marleau at his age is not worth 6.5 per year cap hit.

2 hours ago, Bonivan said:

To clarify, by nothing I mean that he will not play for us. And basically the fact that Toronto had to add its first emphasizes that Marleau at his age is not worth 6.5 per year cap hit.

Dundon straight up bought a 1st rounder for $4m in real cash and eating a $6.5m cap hit this year.  What is the issue?  Cheap again?  The Canes are going to be close to the cap this year.

• Like 2

My grade just went way up.  This was the piece and move I've been waiting for.  solidified on Goalie, defense, forwards, and coaching!   Nice feeling, been a while!  

I wondered if some might want to bump the grade now. I might just do a part II.

How many would change their grade?

• Like 1

Mine would stay the same, until they get to a point where i'm feeling more-confident about the defense beyond the top 5.  Agreed deHaan was making too much money for a 3rd-pairing guy but i'm not feeling it with Forsling/Fleury/McKeown/Bean just yet and i'm still not sure we even have enough defensemen signed to fill 6 slots in Charlotte.

First round picks are gold. Can be used to acquire a big time piece at the trade deadline if Canes are on contention and they would still have another first rounder to actually draft s player.  

What amazes me is how little we've given up. That's what keeps me baffled by the DeHaan thing except maybe to free up cash, or again if we really like the Fors'. But that aside, we've given up some cash, B prospects and non first rounders to get quite a bit better up front, an extra first rounder, and goalies. 

But our powder is still very dry for future moves and all of our A prospects are still in the system.

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

That's what keeps me baffled by the DeHaan thing except maybe to free up cash

I read/heard the de Hann trade was made to free up money/cap space in anticipation of the Aho offer sheet. I guess we thought Montreal was going to make a stronger play.

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

That's what keeps me baffled by the DeHaan thing except maybe to free up cash, or again if we really like the Fors'. 

I’m baffled that anyone is still baffled. Of course it was about cash/cap.

Mrazek’s AAV is 3.3 or something like that. Dzingel’s is somewhere around there. Haula is at 2.75. 

De Haan was at 4.55 million per year (for three more years). It was a bloated contract for a bottom pairing guy. 

What cracks me up is now people are saying TVR is expendable and it is pointed out that he makes 2 million plus. He is a bargain at that price IMO, and he is under appreciated like Forslund has said on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kyrule said:

What cracks me me up is now people are saying TVR is expendable and it is pointed out that he makes 2 million plus. He is a bargain at that price IMO, and he is under appreciated

:thumbsup:

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Mine would stay the same, until they get to a point where i'm feeling more-confident about the defense beyond the top 5.  Agreed deHaan was making too much money for a 3rd-pairing guy but i'm not feeling it with Forsling/Fleury/McKeown/Bean just yet and i'm still not sure we even have enough defensemen signed to fill 6 slots in Charlotte.

I know you go to a lot of games at Bojangles and the Checkers are a team you follow, but you got to realize that while the coaches, and players there play to win the Canes FO are not concerned about the checkers record. The Checkers are there simply to grow young players into Canes, nothing more, nothing less. They are not concerned about 6 D in Charlotte being quality or not. They will field 6 bodies for the Checkers D

Edited by Derailed75

16 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I’m baffled that anyone is still baffled. Of course it was about cash/cap.

De Haan was at 4.55 million per year (for three more years). It was a bloated contract for a bottom pairing guy. 

Yeah, except he isn't really a bottom pairing guy. He's a physical, shut down guy who gets the puck out of the zone and up the ice, who rarely makes mistakes. Exactly the kind of guy most fans undervalue.

I get that he was in a tweener range for us, but he was, IMO our  4th best D man. We did not get better on defense by losing him. 

I guess that the injury combined with the fact that Faulk had a season where he figured out how to play defense, combined with Faulk on a one year left, partial NMC was not movable, is really why DeHaan was the guy shipped out. 

Still, my main issue is that a clear cut middle pair D man returned what amount to prospects. If one of our 4 best D men had to be moved fine, but I expected more in return. Since the team used cap space and patience in UFA to get two good forwards it all worked out. Maybe that was always the plan, but OBXer's post is more what I thought. They rushed that deal IMO and got less than value. Time will tell how the Fors' turn out though, I could be wrong.

That said, the main point of my post was how little we gave up overall. DeHaan is really the only player of substance we lost in gaining and extra first round pick, two very good forwards, three goalies and a serviceable low end D man.