The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Rating the Committee

POLL: Rate the Committee To This Point  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the total performance of The Committee to this point?

• A: Excellent
    • B: Pretty Good
    • C: Average
    • D: Poor
    • F: Fail

4. Team playing in the zone. 

Here I don't mean offensive or defensive zone, I mean mental zone. Brind'Amour has our guys playing with the perfect blend of confidence and care. Too much swagger and you make mistakes. Too little confidence and you don't make plays. We are in that sweet spot. This is really impossible to measure, but it is not accidental. 

At a lunch talk I went to with Brind'Amour my brother asked him about confidence. He lit up and said that it was essential, but often fleeting at the NHL level. The league is just too good. He mentioned how much better a player plays with confidence. 

Then a couple of years later, announced as new head coach, Brind'Amour mentioned it again. It was not much heralded, but I noticed. He said that the Peters' teams were over-structured. Guys did not feel the freedom to make plays. 

The system was master. Those years produced a lot of good possession stats, as the system generated a lot of shots and limited a lot of shots. But the players are the ones who have to convert those shots to really good shots by making plays. Guys were a bit inhibited from doing that. And it's what we saw: a very well structured game that looked pretty good, but did not score or limit actual goals. 

Brind'Amour specifically took aim at this by coaching the system, but also building guys confidence, and letting them make plays. He very rarely called the team out. Almost always had their backs publicly. He got this team playing the right way, but loose enough to make the plays it takes to score in the NHL. ie: The Zone. 

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

3. Team 2 way game. 

This one is split between the committee and the coach. The committee for making this fundamental to player moves, the coach for getting the team to play this way.

The committee has, to my eye, deeply valued players who play both ways. Moving Skinner for hockey pucks was one key statement here. But Hanifin was bit soft in the back end, racking up some big minuses pre trade. But also guys brought in were two way, and or physical: Ferland, Nino, Martinook. And Eric Haula is known for his two way game. Even Dougie, who looked a bit shaky at first, is a career +22, and finished even with a lot of improvement in the back half. Dzingle could be a bit of an exception, but on the whole we are valuing two way players. 

The coach is getting guys to play this way. Item number one is Justin Faulk. I don't know that its the coach, but the timing of his new found D game coming back correlates. But whether it's teaching Svech to play the right way from the start, or Faulk's improvement, or the fact that our star Fins are both very good 2 way players despite not being physical, or just the presence of Brett Pesce and Jordan Staal, but the entire team plays both ends of the ice. And that allows more winning than other stats would predict.

Side note: I suspect that two other things might have had a major impact on Faulks turnaround last season, which was marked and well appreciated in my eyes.

1.  A couple of years playing on the same team as Pesce and Slavin.  I don't know if it's leadership by example from the "new" kids, peer pressure, or whatever, but gotta believe having those two on the team forced Faulk to reevaluate what he did on the ice.  
  2.  I still think Faulk did something last summer that increased his overall quickness (hands as well as feet).

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

Side note: I suspect that two other things might have had a major impact on Faulks turnaround last season, which was marked and well appreciated in my eyes.

1.  A couple of years playing on the same team as Pesce and Slavin.  I don't know if it's leadership by example from the "new" kids, peer pressure, or whatever, but gotta believe having those two on the team forced Faulk to reevaluate what he did on the ice.  
  2.  I still think Faulk did something last summer that increased his overall quickness (hands as well as feet).

I don't know about #1 since they've been around a while, but #2 I can buy. I really doubt it was all Brind'Amour getting him to play right. It might be he was given some "suggestions" in the off-season, but I agree he must have gone to work in the off-season because he looked better right from the start.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

That's number 4 on my list, (and coaching is #2 also) getting to it! But any of the things on the list could be #1.

Sorry posted right on top of ya. Great minds and all that 😂 

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't know about #1 since they've been around a while, but #2 I can buy. I really doubt it was all Brind'Amour getting him to play right. It might be he was given some "suggestions" in the off-season, but I agree he must have gone to work in the off-season because he looked better right from the start.

Maybe.  Slavin and Pesce had been around, but they came in with little fanfare.  It might have taken a couple years, as their status skyrocketed and Faulk's was dropping, for the full impact of Faulk's commitment to D (or lack thereof) to hit home for him.  Obviously pure speculation on my part.

Edited by LakeLivin