The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Who do you protect ?

The canes are two years away from  having to make the ultimate decision  when it comes to the expansion draft  and I thought this thread could be something we can visit or revisit  in the next year or two   to  get thoughts on who  people  here would consider  protecting   for the future .   

Now granted times  can change with lists  or rosters based entirely due to contract / agreements   .   So the canes have a total of  two years to figure out who  is their main core .

with that said lets get this thread going  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules to the nhl 2021  Expansion draft  of Seattle . 

1.  Clubs can protect 7 forwards  3 defensemen   and 1 goalie or   8 forwards   and 1 goalie 

2.  NMC  must be protected unless the player waives  

3.   1st year and 2nd year prospects are exempt 

4. Clubs must expose 1 defensemen  contract  under 2021 -2022  who played 40/70 games , 2  forwards under the same requirement and 1 goalie under contract  or rfa  must have received qualifying offer 

5.  players with career threatening injuries who missed  previous 60 games  cannot  satisfy exposure requirements unless nhl  allows it . 

so now that we have that under way .   Who do you see the canes possibly  keeping / letting go ?   

Gonna be some tough ones here. Also dont know what the roster will actually look like then but for now.

Aho

TT

Svech

Nino

Dzingle

Foegele

Slavin

Pesce

Hamilton 

Ned

I know I am missing a forward I am reserving that spot for a future either draft pick (Suzuki?) or trade. I put Ned as the goalie for now but could be Mrazek if he gets a new contract and continues his run from the end of last year. Thats my protect list

• Like 1

We don’t need to protect Dzingel, Marty, Hamilton, Ned, Mrazek, or Necas.

who we protect should be based on how Bean and Fleury do this season and next.

Also who is kept after this coming season will play a role. 

Unless Nino blows up for 35 goals the next two seasons, I make him the exposed forward. He would have one year left and we probably can’t afford to re-sign him.

Edited by gocanes0506

52 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We don’t need to protect Dzingel, Marty, Hamilton, Ned, Mrazek, or Necas.

who we protect should be based on how Bean and Fleury do this season and next.

Also who is kept after this coming season will play a role. 

Unless Nino blows up for 35 goals the next two seasons, I make him the exposed forward. He would have one year left and we probably can’t afford to re-sign him.

True .  The canes have not acquired this much talent and yet be this close to the cap  in a very very long time  and  it could prove to be either one of those years that launches  the team towards a cup or  backfires .  Overall  I see it  as more of a benefit to protect  our  ahl guys in the future from seattle cash grab if anything   and for Dzingle , Haula , Mrazek , and Ned  all coming in with 2 year contracts  which seems like what was the master plan  so that losing 1 or if all   would be only ufa  options  in the end . After next season that  marleau  money comes off the books and the year after that i believe is when  HWSNBN  comes off the books also .   That is a ton of space magically   waiting for the canes .   Who knows what happens in the next 2  years ! 

Let us get past the September CBA opt-out dates and have the guarantee there won't be a lockout before expansion and i'll start thinking about who i'd want to protect.  I have no confidence in these misers.

Edited by realmdrakkar
didn't realize my original word was strong enough for an *edit*
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

True .  The canes have not acquired this much talent and yet be this close to the cap  in a very very long time  and  it could prove to be either one of those years that launches  the team towards a cup or  backfires .  Overall  I see it  as more of a benefit to protect  our  ahl guys in the future from seattle cash grab if anything   and for Dzingle , Haula , Mrazek , and Ned  all coming in with 2 year contracts  which seems like what was the master plan  so that losing 1 or if all   would be only ufa  options  in the end . After next season that  marleau  money comes off the books and the year after that i believe is when  HWSNBN  comes off the books also .   That is a ton of space magically   waiting for the canes .   Who knows what happens in the next 2  years ! 

I put something similar in the offseason thread but, Marleau and HWSNBN's cap hits are earmarked for Svech's extension.  Marleau's cap hit will probably go to cover Williams' performance bonus next season, probably 50-75% of it.  I hope we get McGinn is also put on a two year deal.  Then the protection questions comes down to how Faulk, Fluery, Foegle, Haula and Wallmark are handled.  

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

My list  so far  is 

Aho 

Svech

Teravinen

Dzingle 

Haula 

Nino 

Necas 

Slavin 

Bean 

Hamilton 

Mrazek 

First of all, Staal has to be protected, since he has a NMC.  Second, you have 5 players on your list whose contracts will be over in 2 years or less(Dzingel, Haula, Nino, Hamilton, and Mrazek).  If you want a list of players under contract, I would go with:

Staal

Aho

Turbo

Svech

Necas   +2

Slavin

Pesce  

Bean

+1 (Ned?)

Suzuki and other draft picks may not need to be protected.  Hard to predict who will be extended two years out.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

First of all, Staal has to be protected, since he has a NMC.  Second, you have 5 players on your list whose contracts will be over in 2 years or less(Dzingel, Haula, Nino, Hamilton, and Mrazek).  If you want a list of players under contract, I would go with:

Staal

Aho

Turbo

Svech

Necas   +2

Slavin

Pesce  

Bean

+1 (Ned?)

Suzuki and other draft picks may not need to be protected.  Hard to predict who will be extended two years out.

Im pretty sure  Staal will not waive  so no real need to protect him anyways .   And true i do  have 5 guys who could end up being  ufa's   but who is to say  they dont get extended .  They are all pretty good players .   Necas is  protected on my list , as for Ned it's possible  that he could be selected  but  i think there are better choices than Ned   And i kinda see  Francis going  mostly after a defense man  from the canes  . as for who ?   I really have no clue .  

8 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im pretty sure  Staal will not waive  so no real need to protect him anyways .   And true i do  have 5 guys who could end up being  ufa's   but who is to say  they dont get extended .  They are all pretty good players .   Necas is  protected on my list , as for Ned it's possible  that he could be selected  but  i think there are better choices than Ned   And i kinda see  Francis going  mostly after a defense man  from the canes  . as for who ?   I really have no clue .  

It's not an option.  Players with NMC must be protected unless they waive.  That's the expansion rules.

• Like 1

I don't think Necas will need to be protected.  The rule states that all first and second year players are exempt from selection and Necas will have just completed his second year in June of 2021.  In the Vegas 2017 draft, Slavin and Pesce had just completed their 2nd year and they were exempt.

33 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I don't think Necas will need to be protected.  The rule states that all first and second year players are exempt from selection and Necas will have just completed his second year in June of 2021.  In the Vegas 2017 draft, Slavin and Pesce had just completed their 2nd year and they were exempt.

Necas not playing his 10th game this year kept him safe from the expansion draft.  He will not need to be protected.

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Necas not playing his 10th game this year kept him safe from the expansion draft.  He will not need to be protected.

I'm sure that issue was not lost on the Committee when it came to using Necas last season.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

It's not an option.  Players with NMC must be protected unless they waive.  That's the expansion rules.

And I said Staal is  not going to waive .  if  he was selected and staal waived then yes he would go to seattle . 

46 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

And I said Staal is  not going to waive .  if  he was selected and staal waived then yes he would go to seattle . 

You also said "I'm pretty sure  Staal will not waive  so no real need to protect him anyways "

The point is, he has to be protected, i.e. he's going take up one of the Canes 7 forward exemption spots.  Because as you and everyone else note, the chances of him waiving are negligible.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

if  he was selected and staal waived

The point you seem to miss here,Cff, is HE HAS TO BE PROTECTED, thus he could not be selected? Doesn't matter whether or not he would waive as he would never get the chance.

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

The point you seem to miss here,Cff, is HE HAS TO BE PROTECTED, thus he could not be selected? Doesn't matter whether or not he would waive as he would never get the chance.

Well, Staal could waive his NMC and let us make him available to Seattle, but what are the odds of him doing that?  I guess the fact that Francis has become Seattle's GM puts it above zero, but probably not by much.

Not 100% positive, but I think MA Fleury waived his NMC in order to go to Vegas.

Edited by LakeLivin

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Well, Staal could waive his NMC and let us make him available to Seattle, but what are the odds of him doing that?  I guess the fact that Francis has become Seattle's GM puts it above zero, but probably not by much.

Not 100% positive, but I think MA Fleury waived his NMC in order to go to Vegas.

Well there is that Lake, but as you say, WHY?

17 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Well there is that Lake, but as you say, WHY?

If I got real creative I'm sure I could come up with a scenario, but it would be way out there, lol.

Edited by LakeLivin

Takes some hard core boredom to try to figure this one out 2 years in advance.  The committee has to keep it in mind, but it's way too early to speculate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Takes some hard core boredom to try to figure this one out 2 years in advance.  The committee has to keep it in mind, but it's way too early to speculate

Yeah, I'm not going to invest much energy on this.  The pressing issue imo is what to do with the young Canes who have lost their waiver exemptions that stand a good chance of being claimed by another team (looking first at McKeown and perhaps Forsling?)

Edited by LakeLivin

As said before  this thread is 2 years out .  Just something fun to revisit in the future   for fellow fans to figure out who eventually  becomes the canes  Main Core . 

Under cap friendly   it shows a ton of contracts with 2 years  via being ufa's    I would say it's a safe bet  that the Canes are sorta " all in "  on  being considered a playoff team  and aiming for one purpose goal .   After 2 years   it's either to ward off potential buyers or  ward off  draft selections on those who might stay   " unprotected "    thus believing that the canes management  did  put some thought of losing anyone to the expansion draft .   

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/expansion-plan-projecting-the-carolina-hurricanes-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

Forwards:

• Jordan Staal (NMC)
  • Sebastian Aho
  • Teuvo Teravainen
  • Andrei Svechnikov
  • Nino Niederreiter
  • Warren Foegele
  • Morgan Geekie

Defensemen:

• Jaccob Slavin
  • Brett Pesce
  • Dougie Hamilton (NMC)

Goaltenders:

• Alex Nedeljkovic

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/expansion-plan-projecting-the-carolina-hurricanes-protection-list-for-the-2021-expansion-draft

Forwards:

• Jordan Staal (NMC)
  • Sebastian Aho
  • Teuvo Teravainen
  • Andrei Svechnikov
  • Nino Niederreiter
  • Warren Foegele
  • Morgan Geekie

Defensemen:

• Jaccob Slavin
  • Brett Pesce
  • Dougie Hamilton (NMC)

Goaltenders:

• Alex Nedeljkovic

interesting list there .  so they dont see necas making the line up ?

55 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

interesting list there .  so they dont see necas making the line up ?

I could be wrong, but in two years when the draft occurs, 3 of the players on their list, Nino, Hamilton, and Ned, will no longer be under contract without extensions.  The list must be projecting whom they will extend before the draft.