The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

World jr Summer showcase

A few  canes prospects are in the tourny .   Honka ,  Drury ,  Suzuki , Rees ,  Killinen  and Puistola  .  anyone else watching  ?

Edited by Canesfanforever

We really do have some very interesting high skilled prospects, arguably the top 4 skaters taken this year are all high skill (and the goalie makes 5). Suzuki, Rees, Puistola, Honka, all from this draft have a ton of skill, Drury had a nice year at Harvard, and Morgan Geekie is coming on in Charlotte. Then Gauthier still has a lot of upside, as does Kuokkanen, and of course, Necas. Just to name a few.

But getting Suzuki, Rees, Puistola, and Honka all in the first three rounds, shows the depth of that draft, and our vastly improved drafting; and next year's draft is supposed to be even deeper.

That just makes me that much more excited about what we could do in next year's draft with probably 2 first rounders*, 2 second rounders**, and 2 third rounders. 

The number of high quality seeds we have and will plant in our system is getting ridiculously good. 

* so long as Toronto doesn't finish in the bottom 10.

** so long as Adam Fox plays 30 NHL games for the Rangers.

3 hours ago, remkin said:

We really do have some very interesting high skilled prospects, arguably the top 4 skaters taken this year are all high skill (and the goalie makes 5). Suzuki, Rees, Puistola, Honka, all from this draft have a ton of skill, Drury had a nice year at Harvard, and Morgan Geekie is coming on in Charlotte. Then Gauthier still has a lot of upside, as does Kuokkanen, and of course, Necas. Just to name a few.

But getting Suzuki, Rees, Puistola, and Honka all in the first three rounds, shows the depth of that draft, and our vastly improved drafting; and next year's draft is supposed to be even deeper.

That just makes me that much more excited about what we could do in next year's draft with probably 2 first rounders*, 2 second rounders**, and 2 third rounders. 

The number of high quality seeds we have and will plant in our system is getting ridiculously good. 

* so long as Toronto doesn't finish in the bottom 10.

** so long as Adam Fox plays 30 NHL games for the Rangers.

I hope Fensore  gets some games   later this year with  the national team  in the iihf ,  I was deeply impressed by his skill and level of play  in the prospects game .  the only thing that sticks out like a red headed step child  on him is his height and weight .  maybe  in a year or 2   he can grow a few more inches .     and i have no doubt if he was  6'4   that he would of easily been a 1st round  pick .  

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

Even though it was a lost for finland , it was not a lost for  Honka and Puistola  .  Honka had a goal and a assist   and  Puistola  had 2 goals today . Man that checkers team is going to look real  sexy when  these 2   make it to that club in the future . 

The 2020-21 Charlotte team will be good and will be a good mix of talent and experience.

adding Honka, Puistola, Sellgren, and Cotton with the possibles of Filipe, Zimmer, Killinen, Henman, and Koch to a group that includes Eetu, Mattheos, and Booth/Helvig will be fun to watch.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

The 2020-21 Charlotte team will be good and will be a good mix of talent and experience.

adding Honka, Puistola, Sellgren, and Cotton with the possibles of Filipe, Zimmer, Killinen, Henman, and Koch to a group that includes Eetu, Mattheos, and Booth/Helvig will be fun to watch.

No mention of Geekie?.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

No mention of Geekie?.

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

He might be on the Canes 

That is my assumption, a long with Bean, Gauthier, Necas, and Kuokkanen. They are in Raleigh or traded elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

That is my assumption, a long with Bean, Gauthier, Necas, and Kuokkanen. They are in Raleigh or traded elsewhere. 

The scoring Depth on the canes has the potential to be top 10  .  The problem that comes with it all is trying to keep it all intact and  not have to dismantle due to salary cap  issues  !   It's the number 1 killer of teams . 

13 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

The scoring Depth on the canes has the potential to be top 10  .  The problem that comes with it all is trying to keep it all intact and  not have to dismantle due to salary cap  issues  !   It's the number 1 killer of teams . 

The number 1 to me is over-reactionary deals in UFA (Lucic, etc) that keeps you from keeping good talent.

I believe the team has done a great job at keeping yours and my number one concerns from becoming an issue while stock piling more youngsters. We can re-sign Svech to a 9.5 million AAV deal without spending anymore cap money than we are today (and not lose anyone) and we can save as much of the money coming off in two years for Necas.  If they aren’t getting first line money then we saved more for someone else.  

I think Wallmark and Foegele are the key questions to our cap mystery, which sounds weird. If Wallmark turns into W. Karlsson and Foegele turns into Cole then we might have to play some cap games. If they end up being third line players, we’ll be good for a long time. Even if they are 2nd line players and want to be paid 5-6 million we can always find a buyer for Reimer next offseason and sacrifice Nino to Seattle.  

I'm no capologist, but it would appear that next year we get $6.25 that we spent on Marleau (first rounder) this year. And in two years, finally, HSNBN comes off the books. That's $9.5M there. This also reminds me of the genius of not having to buy Mongo out. 

The expectation too is a pretty big cap bump in two years. And while we're still waiting for Williams, it seems pretty unlikely he'll be a cap hit in two years. 

It sort of looks like Haula might be a one year wonder for us as he's up as a UFA after this year. 

Thing is, at some point we do need to work some of those prospects in. Maybe Bean for Faulk on a cheaper deal, and Necas and probably Geekie up front, not to mention Gauthier and Kuok.

One (probably the) way to stay good and under the cap, is to keep bringing at least some yutes up on lower deals and getting production/value from them. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'm no capologist, but it would appear that next year we get $6.25 that we spent on Marleau (first rounder) this year. And in two years, finally, HSNBN comes off the books. That's $9.5M there. This also reminds me of the genius of not having to buy Mongo out. 

The expectation too is a pretty big cap bump in two years. And while we're still waiting for Williams, it seems pretty unlikely he'll be a cap hit in two years. 

It sort of looks like Haula might be a one year wonder for us as he's up as a UFA after this year. 

Thing is, at some point we do need to work some of those prospects in. Maybe Bean for Faulk on a cheaper deal, and Necas and probably Geekie up front, not to mention Gauthier and Kuok.

One (probably the) way to stay good and under the cap, is to keep bringing at least some yutes up on lower deals and getting production/value from them. 

Mentioning this, I found a fascinating read over on Hockey Buzz (yeah yeah I know) by Trevor Shackles (not sure of his credibility) related to how apparently Eugene Melnyk appears to be circumventing the conditions of the Cap, specifically for Ottawa, the Cap Floor. Seems as though while it appears that the Senators 19-20 salary expenditure is above the $60mil something floor, with insurance payments on players they picked up that will never play, and several other loopholes, they actual salary for competing players is in mid $40s? Fascinating read for those who want to view the ugly underbelly of some of these billionaire owners, IF TRUE? Some speculation though, that much like Karmanos' positioning to sell, this is what is going on, and the Senators will be sold shortly?

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Mentioning this, I found a fascinating read over on Hockey Buzz (yeah yeah I know) by Trevor Shackles (not sure of his credibility) related to how apparently Eugene Melnyk appears to be circumventing the conditions of the Cap, specifically for Ottawa, the Cap Floor. Seems as though while it appears that the Senators 19-20 salary expenditure is above the $60mil something floor, with insurance payments on players they picked up that will never play, and several other loopholes, they actual salary for competing players is in mid $40s? Fascinating read for those who want to view the ugly underbelly of some of these billionaire owners, IF TRUE? Some speculation though, that much like Karmanos' positioning to sell, this is what is going on, and the Senators will be sold shortly?

Mods please move if this belongs elsewhere?

On 8/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, LakeLivin said:

No mention of Geekie?.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:52 AM, Canesfanforever said:

He might be on the Canes 

22 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

• Aho. Turbo, Staal, Huala, Svech, Nino, Dzingel, Martinook, McGinn, and Foegele  (10).
  • Williams?  (11)
  • Wallmark and Bishop are subject to waivers.  (13)
  • Necas, Maenalanen, Geekie, Kuokkanen, Gauthier. (18)

I wonder how many forwards the Canes will carry?  Defense is just as tight with apparently more NHL capable bodies than NHL spots.  And DW said we might carry 3 goalies for a while to settle the backup spot. Unless there are a number of additional moves this summer, looks like it's gonna be a numbers game.

edit: forgot Willy, lol  I'm starting to think if he wasn't coming back we'd have heard by now.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 minute ago, LakeLivin said:

• Aho. Turbo, Staal, Huala, Svech, Nino, Dzingel, Martinook, McGinn, and Foegele  (10).
  • Wallmark and Bishop are subject to waivers.  (12)
  • Necas, Maenalanen, Geekie, Kuokkanen, Gauthier. (17)

I wonder how many forwards the Canes will carry?  Defense is just as tight with apparently more NHL capable bodies than NHL spots.  And DW said we might carry 3 goalies for a while to settle the backup spot. Unless there are a number of additional moves this summer, looks like it's gonna be a numbers game.

Bean and Necas would be highly likely in the past, now both will have a tough time making it out of camp. I guess if one or both blow doors out in camp we could make a trade, but without one there just isn't roster space.