The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

2019 NHL Prospects Showcase

It was fun when our guys won Traverse City, but really, to me the excitement of these things is to see if any of our yutes show some elite stuff, and in that regard, Suzuki putting up 5 points puts a big smile on my face. Did anyone watch the game? Did he stand out? He has that kind up upside.

IMO Bean looked like a man among boys two prospect camps ago, and Priskie is coming off of a full college career, so those guys are older and farther along than most of the guys in this tourney. Don't get me wrong though, it's still very encouraging because both of those guys are IMO our highest end D prospects. 

And Kjun, you left out our newest D man, Jake Gardiner, in  your D line up. This system is getting so deep, especially on D, it's hard to keep track of everyone.

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

It was fun when our guys won Traverse City, but really, to me the excitement of these things is to see if any of our yutes show some elite stuff, and in that regard, Suzuki putting up 5 points puts a big smile on my face. Did anyone watch the game? Did he stand out? He has that kind up upside.

IMO Bean looked like a man among boys two prospect camps ago, and Priskie is coming off of a full college career, so those guys are older and farther along than most of the guys in this tourney. Don't get me wrong though, it's still very encouraging because both of those guys are IMO our highest end D prospects. 

And Kjun, you left out our newest D man, Jake Gardiner, in  your D line up. This system is getting so deep, especially on D, it's hard to keep track of everyone.

Yep, for got about him, thanks rem.

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

After some reflection, I am not so sure I feel so critical as I did after that 1st game Cff. I mean, think about it, 50% of our players were "invitees". Now not sure of the Caps composition, but how do you expect team cohesion when you've got hat many, and youngsters at that, who've never played together, much less know each others names? Now granted, I didn't watch in real time for very long, BUT obviously they did better yesterday. So, bottom line, I've still not written off Helvig.

Most of the invitees  were  just undrafted players  from previous seasons .  That's not saying  that they were bad parse   but  not focused on when being scouted at the time .   and then later  thought  might show some promise .   And some guys re-enter the draft  and get selected  because of that .   The Thing is with Helvig  , he  played mostly in the echl   and  given his time there    people would think maybe he needed the  extra time to develop  to get to that next stage  but the reality is  some guys  can float around in minor leagues for years   just from being friendly and  charitable that management will tend to overlook  those flaws on  ice  just on the sole merit of the guy  being so likable and forget that management has a business to run .     

Edited by Canesfanforever

33 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Most of the invitees  were  just undrafted players  from previous seasons

Maybe so, Cff, but still a non-cohesive group? Thus hard to form a team that quickly?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Maybe so, Cff, but still a non-cohesive group? Thus hard to form a team that quickly?

The management  Must of had reasons to go with so many invitees  .   I was hoping we would get to see Slepets   , Honka  and  few more from this years draft  but im not sure as to why they chose not  to try those guys . 

Watching the first period the game vs. the Pred's yutes...um...not pretty.

Completely out classed so far. Shots are like 20-3 or so. Feel bad for Helvig, it's open season. Preds on every puck, odd man rushes, Canes, sloppy soft on puck, just poking the stick at pucks, etc.

Can see Suzuki's and Priskie's skill, but the way they're playing now can't tell much else.

Maybe they come out with something in the second. If not? Look for a lopsided final, 4-0 Preds at present.

25 minutes ago, remkin said:

Watching the first period the game vs. the Pred's yutes...um...not pretty.

Completely out classed so far. Shots are like 20-3 or so. Feel bad for Helvig, it's open season. Preds on every puck, odd man rushes, Canes, sloppy soft on puck, just poking the stick at pucks, etc.

Can see Suzuki's and Priskie's skill, but the way they're playing now can't tell much else.

Maybe they come out with something in the second. If not? Look for a lopsided final, 4-0 Preds at present.

Learning to take a beat down and the response to it is all part of the "process".  Looks like they is learnin it good.

I see a guy with his Jerks shirt on watchin.   Nice.

Edited by cc

Nice rebound in the 2nd.  Specially the goal with a few tics left on the clock.

I only got to see the 3rd period of the  game   but  I like what i saw from Harvey .  given some time to work on his  vision and glove hand  and a few other things  i could see him  being a checker  .   You already know  my opinion on Helvig so i wont waste your time or  mine  .   Suzuki and Priskie   are going to be great once they  get done with Development .  Priskie  offensively for a defense man looks like he has top  4 potential and  Suzuki  looks like he has top 6 potential  .   Damn good draft this year ! 

2 hours ago, Bonivan said:

What is the final score vs Preds? 

6 preds   4 canes . 

the 1st and 2nd period had Helvig in net and gave up 4 goals .  Harvey took over the 3rd period and gave up only 1 goal  after the preds killed a 5 on 3 ,  then  canes pulled the goalie  with 2 mins left  and preds got the empty netter  .    in the shootout canes won that 3 to 1  with harvey in net . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

16 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

You already know  my opinion on Helvig so i wont waste your time or  mine  .  

The Hurricanes got buried in a quick 4-0 hole in the first period, and if not for Jeremy Helvig, it could have easily been a wider deficit. Helvig came up with a pair of quality stops early when it was scoreless, turning away a shorthanded breakaway chance and making a diving stop on another grade-A scoring opportunity.

"I thought he played really well today," Warsofsky said of Helvig, who was originally supposed to play half the game but remained in net in what was a much-improved second period for the Hurricanes.

1 hour ago, cc said:

The Hurricanes got buried in a quick 4-0 hole in the first period, and if not for Jeremy Helvig, it could have easily been a wider deficit. Helvig came up with a pair of quality stops early when it was scoreless, turning away a shorthanded breakaway chance and making a diving stop on another grade-A scoring opportunity.

"I thought he played really well today," Warsofsky said of Helvig, who was originally supposed to play half the game but remained in net in what was a much-improved second period for the Hurricanes.

Harvey gave up only 1 goal , Helvig  gave up 4 .   It's pretty clear at least to me who the better netminder is 

Just posting the analysis provided by a person who was there.  Sometimes its not as simple as the goal count.  I only was able to watch the and of the 1st and the 2nd period.  Defense much improved in the 2nd which tends to support the goaltender.

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Harvey gave up only 1 goal , Helvig  gave up 4 .   It's pretty clear at least to me who the better netminder is 

22 minutes ago, cc said:

Just posting the analysis provided by a person who was there.  Sometimes its not as simple as the goal count.  I only was able to watch the and of the 1st and the 2nd period.  Defense much improved in the 2nd which tends to support the goaltender.

Thanks for that insight cc, telehockey if I can call it that, often times misses the finer points of the On Ice product and thus outrageous conclusions? But then, we all are aware of the nuances of "statistics"?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I know that the first period was a shooting gallery. 

On XM they like to play a clip of a goalie guru (I want to say ex NHL'er Martin Biron, but I'm not sure) who says that all goalie stats must be compared against "expected goals". Again, like the new stats that I've been on about, expected goals, is a stat created by watching and notating specific chances, ie cross seam wide open, 2 on 1's, etc. chances are graded, and based on quality, an expected goals number is arrived at, and then compared vs. the actual goals scored. I'm sure that the expected goals in that first period was pretty dang high.

My guess is maybe around 4, which is what he gave up. So to me, average. He made some beautiful saves, was totally hung out on a couple and let in a couple. 

On 9/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks for that insight cc, telehockey if I can call it that, often times misses the finer points of the On Ice product and thus outrageous conclusions? But then, we all are aware of the nuances of "statistics"?

A bit off topic but I hate statistics.  Especially since they tag me as morbidly obese (for decades).  LOL

33 minutes ago, cc said:

A bit off topic but I hate statistics.  Especially since they tag me as morbidly obese (for decades).  LOL

Lol, yeah I've heard big boned for years. On Helvig....one game,throw out the weakness stats.