The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

If people don't already know where I stand on this, their mental capacities are surely beyond the point where my stating it again here, let alone voting, will make one damned bit of difference.

When you are 37, respected as a player and leader, and have options such as embarking on a management and/or coaching future, the more you give it thought, the more you come to the conclusion, I can do that next year.  Will I be able to play next year?  Take your time, but your seat at the head of the table awaits.

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

He needs to s**t or get off the pot. 

Does it matter?

I meant that when he makes a decision. As long as its before camp starts it’s only a problem for the board boldrum blues.

12 minutes ago, cc said:

I meant that when he makes a decision. As long as its before camp starts it’s only a problem for the board boldrum blues.

Or it could be a problem if the team would need to find someone to fill his role if he decides not to come back.  If he waits until the 11th hour, the committee won't have so much time to work on filling his shoes.  If they already have a plan in place then perhaps it isn't an issue, but if they're waiting on his decision to know if they need to further attack free agent market, he isn't doing them any favors by putting off the decision.

Personally I think if Williams retires we go with what we have. I think this would end up creating a slot for Necas. 

Part of the problem is cap space at just under $2.5 million, we don't have much. I guess we could try to make a trade though, which could open cap space.  But since Williams is eligible for big bonuses, he can use up the cap and then get bonuses to get up to last year's deal. 

My first bet is that Williams plays. My second is that if he doesn't play, we go with what we have.

I'd be more worried about things if we had sat on our hands all offseason and not gotten the likes of Dzingel and Huala. The team prepped themselves for this already and a new Captain would need to come from within anyway not from UFA.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 8:31 PM, coastal_caniac said:

I agree with you, he's retiring.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

And I agree with you, he's coming back.

I'm with you fellers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Or it could be a problem if the team would need to find someone to fill his role if he decides not to come back.  If he waits until the 11th hour, the committee won't have so much time to work on filling his shoes.  If they already have a plan in place then perhaps it isn't an issue, but if they're waiting on his decision to know if they need to further attack free agent market, he isn't doing them any favors by putting off the decision.

That’s 5 “ifs” one over the limit.👍🏿SPECTOR’S NOTE: Thornton’s returning to the Sharks. If Williams doesn’t retire, the Hurricanes are believed the only club he’ll skate with.

Edited by cc

I certainly hope Waddell and company know what he intends to do. Camp opens in a few weeks and opening night is 39 days away. JW has had 4 months to decide what he is going to do. If he has put in the work all summer to be ready for the season, then I assume he intends to play. I also feel given his personal relationship with Rod, he would let Rod know what he was going to do sooner than now. Surely money is not the issue, but who knows. 

FWIW I voted he will play for the Canes this year, but at this point, the longer this drags on, the more I wonder. When players start coming in for voluntary workouts, it would be nice for our captain to be there, as Rod was for so many years.

The thing that has me baffled is the way that Waddell is hedging lately. One has to think that Brind'Amour has some sort of inside knowledge, but who knows? I agree that if he is considering coming back, he'd have to be training already, but then he could always train, then decide not to play, and just be in good shape. The most recent word from Williams was that he was on vacation with nothing to report. Not helpful. 

I was hoping that the team and Williams have a nudge-nudge, wink-wink plan in place to create drama and a big reveal, and that is still possible, but if so, they are playing it close to the vest and even deceptive with us fans because Waddell said that the two sides have not even talked numbers. (Part of me thought Williams might be holding out a bit to get the best deal, but not if no numbers have even been floated). 

I really don't know but I am going with the fact that very few players walk away while still substantially productive. While he doesn't need it, $4-5 million still gets most people's attention. And he has it so good here as Captain and with Brind'Amour being coach, and a really good young team. I have to go with that. Despite all of the doubts out there, I have to go with all of the reasons for him to come back.

Currently our poll: 71% say he plays. 

Williams will always be one of my favorite players that wore a canes jersey  and I think he has  1 more solid good year left in him  but with that being said   there comes a time  for when things  take  a change going forward .  I believe that Williams is going to retire    and even suggested  he take a job  learning to become an assistant gm poistion under Waddell  .  The next topic  i bet will be  is who  will be the next Canes Captain .  And  who will make the team   from the checkers .  

3 hours ago, Kyrule said:

I think he ends up in the Adult-Film industry.

He already has the name:

”J-Willy”

And if Xaviera Hollander's theory about guys with big noses holds, probably another attribute valued in that industry.