The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

And if Xaviera Hollander's theory about guys with big noses holds, probably another attribute valued in that industry.

But Williams has small feet :o

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cc said:

That’s 5 “ifs” one over the limit.👍🏿SPECTOR’S NOTE: Thornton’s returning to the Sharks. If Williams doesn’t retire, the Hurricanes are believed the only club he’ll skate with.

Can't argue with that.  But to add a 6th "if", the committee may be feeling if he chooses not to return and they don't have a contingency plan.  I just hope he's given the committee a hint one way or the other.

6 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

I just hope he's given the committee a hint one way or the other.

I got all the hint I needed back in May. Right after the Canes got ousted a reporter asked him about his plans, and the look on his face while he processed the question was, "Sheesh, where did that come from? I put up 50 points this year and can't wait for October."

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I got all the hint I needed back in May. Right after the Canes got ousted a reporter asked him about his plans, and the look on his face while he processed the question was, "Sheesh, where did that come from? I put up 50 points this year and can't wait for October."

I agree, then all these polls, speculations, etc can be put in mothballs along with speculation of whom to make available to Seattle and who will Francis pilfer from Canes staff until next offseason?

Brian Boyle would be a good locker room presence and a nice feel good story, but he wouldn't replace the leadership or scoring of Williams. 18 days from the start of training camp and this is the news that comes out. I'm not sure what to make of it.

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

In what sense Kaze?

He overcame leukemia and seems like a decent dude.

Edited by Kaze

Outside of a PTO, Boyle makes little sense to me. He's a grinder, and mostly puts up 4th line numbers. Outside of being physically huge, and hard worker, there isn't that much upside. To me if Williams retires and we go outside, we need a 45 point guy. But we aren't likely to find that for $2.4 million, so go with the guys we have in the system. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kaze said:

He overcame leukemia and seems like a decent dude.

I'd forgotten that, but yes, that would be a feel good story. I see where rem is coming from, but if Williams does not return, it seems as if we sure'd lose a lot of leadership?

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 7:22 AM, top-shelf-1 said:

If reports are accurate, William's has contacted multiple players who have recently retired. I believe he is contemplating retirement and a return is not guaranteed. I think he may be struggling with the decision.

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

If reports are accurate,

Not doubting you, but where are these reports, as I'm always it seems not able to find much on the Hurricanes?

Oh, never mind, just found something on Canes Country by Mark Armstrong on this. Who is he, and what is his connection to us?   

Edited by KJUNKANE

The News and Observer article quoted Brind'Amour as saying Williams was talking to people including recently retired guys. I do also get the feeling that he is really making a hard decision vs. this all being orchestrated drama. I'm still coming down on the side of him playing, but the picture that seems to be forming is leaning the other way IMO. What we are not seeing is J Williams training, or any mention of it. Of course he probably is, but the lack of mention of it, combined with his most recent publicly available uttering, "on vacation, nothing to report" really paints the picture of a guy sitting around trying to decide if he should get off the hammock and start training.

My pure speculation is that his is still training at least some, but the lack of mention of that leaves the whole thing in a very ambiguous place.

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not doubting you, but where are these reports, as I'm always it seems not able to ind much on the Hurricanes?

I think it was from an N &O story

My honest opinion at this point is that he will retire, but he's having a hard time pulling the trigger.  He played at a high level last year, and may feel he gave all he had to give.  I dare say that none of us knows what it takes physically to play in the NHL, and the toll it takes on the body and mind.  At the end of the playoffs, I thought he'd go another year and sign up once the hurt of being eliminated was over.  We are closing in on camp, and still no answer.  That in itself is the answer.

• Like 1

Usually when guys retire it is one of two things:

1. They say that they are dreading starting their training regimen, which means it’s not fun anymore, which means it’s time to retire.

2. Players start their training regimen, but the body doesn’t respond like it should/did. Time to retire.

Either one could be a real possibility for Williams.

...or we could hear about his return.

Oh, and there is a third reason:

”To spend more time with family”, but we all know this is BS, nobody wants to spend more time with family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I think it was from an N &O story

Yes, that was the story I was referring to. Didnt feel the need to quote it. If the reports from RB are accurate and I have no reason to doubt them....I lean towards JW packing it in.I just think he is having a hard time letting go. Perhaps the date of hanging his Uni in the rafters is in question.🤔😁

1 hour ago, PamlicoPuck said:

However all the is he or isnt he drama has grown very old as well....

Yeah -  I really dont care anymore.

I know every team in this situation thinks, "just give us one more good year". But I can't help but feel like that really is the case here. I'd take as much Justin Williams as he has left, but one more year really could push this franchise off the beach of mediocrity to the point that our young studs and new additions could pick it up from there.

Svech will, IMO step things up a lot this year. But he will probably really break out in two years. Aho, on the cusp of Captaincy is probably an obvious choice in two years. TT will be in his prime. Necas will be a year closer. Foegele will be an established pro (IMO), etc And this young team will have had two years of the double headed force that is Brind'Amour and Justin Williams in tandem and on the same page to form it. 

The likes of Aho, TT, Svech, Slavin, Pesce, Foegele, Necas, et all will be able to lead the likes of Suzuki, Drury, Priskie, Gauthier, Bean, Geekie and more, that much better with one more year of Justin Williams as the captain.

I want more than that, but just give us one more year and it would be so much better than stopping now.

One more year of Storm Surges to keep building that bond with all these new fans and STH. One more year with a cagey 50 point, 20 goal forward putting up needed points while showing the yutes like Svech and Necas how to be consummate professionals.

One more year.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

From my selfish fan perch I just hope he isn't weighing Andrew Luck's recent announcement heavily in his decision.

Damn you Remkin!

👹

I am a huge Colts fan and didn’t even know about this (don’t follow football until the season starts).

What a huge kick in the cods!

🦶🏻...🍑...😩

11 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

If reports are accurate, William's has contacted multiple players who have recently retired. I believe he is contemplating retirement and a return is not guaranteed. I think he may be struggling with the decision.

I've seen those reports, and I agree they suggest he's struggling with it. If he decides another year living out of a suitcase is one too many, I won't complain. If he bows out, he'll do so on top. I just have a feeling that finishing the job of turning this org's culture into one that expects to win, and to bookend his King's rings with Canes' ones, could be a factor. I wonder if anyone's ever done that, returned to the first team they won a Cup with after winning it elsewhere and won it again. Probably so, back in the (Original Six) day.

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, remkin said:

From my selfish fan perch I just hope he isn't weighing Andrew Luck's recent announcement heavily in his decision.

I thought the same thing. I'm not happy with Luck's timing... and I only give a rip about football when the Eagles get into the playoffs... so, not very often!

A couple of years ago I got to play a round of golf with a guy who played some years in the NFL. When I told him I was a hockey fan, he said, "oh those guys are nuts."

34 minutes ago, remkin said:

A couple of years ago I got to play a round of golf with a guy who played some years in the NFL. When I told him I was a hockey fan, he said, "oh those guys are nuts."

Huge bunch of jerks.