The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

8 hours ago, remkin said:

Hopefully this board is prescient as at the moment it's a clean 2:1 in favor of him playing. 

We certainly "prescient" in our minds, rem.

10 hours ago, remkin said:

Hopefully this board is prescient as at the moment it's a clean 2:1 in favor of him playing. 

I don't think the question posed was whether fans are "in favor" of him playing; I think the % of Canes fans favoring him playing with the team would be close to unanimous.  The question posed was "what will he do".

17 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I am hoping he comes back for one more year but looking at the cap space we current have ($2.4 mil), I am not so sure we can support him. It's going to be interesting to see.

Due to his age the Canes can put a bunch of bonuses in the contract that count on next year's cap, when we will have more space. But it's another reason that we can sign J Williams, but not his equal since we likely could not use the bonus trick on the other guy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I don't think the question posed was whether fans are "in favor" of him playing; I think the % of Canes fans favoring him playing with the team would be close to unanimous.  The question posed was "what will he do".

Yes. When I say favor him playing, I mean that they favor the vote that he will decide to play. I guess it was a bit confusing. I was trying to use less words. 

I seriously doubt many if any fans want him to retire. To be more precise:

The board predicts 2:1 that he will decide to play and hopefully the majority are prescient in that prediction.

• Like 1

I'm glad, needing to reach out to that guy for leadership (only thing he could possibly bring) would suggest we've gotten nowhere internally on building leaders.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

I was trying to use less words. 

Huh, you? That doesn't work for you rem (which I appreciate BTW)? Just funning guy, slow day.

23 hours ago, remkin said:

Yes. When I say favor him playing, I mean that they favor the vote that he will decide to play. I guess it was a bit confusing. I was trying to use less words. 

I seriously doubt many if any fans want him to retire. To be more precise:

The board predicts 2:1 that he will decide to play and hopefully the majority are prescient in that prediction.

The plurality is down to 20-12.  I am one of the 20, but JW is observing this trend and has announced through channels that if he does not see at least a 3-1 ratio he will be playing shuffleboard in October.

OK, Cam Ward is having his moment in the news cycle, but the next available space we just about have to hear from Justin don't we? 

There are two weeks until training camp opens. If we don't hear something by early next week, I almost have to think the parties know and are just timing the announcement. 

44 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I think the decision has already been communicated. JW playing golf with RB and Cam the day Cam signed the one day contract.

Should hear soon! 

My guess. Tuesday. 

I'm getting back to my conspiracy stance. The team knows, but wants to time the announcement. The end of last week was Cam Ward time. Now it's Labor Day weekend Dead Zone. So Tuesday they make the announcement. 

Unless he's playing and the contract is still being hammered out. Then it might be later in the week. 

Just can't see this going longer. 

27 minutes ago, remkin said:

My guess. Tuesday. 

I'm getting back to my conspiracy stance. The team knows, but wants to time the announcement. The end of last week was Cam Ward time. Now it's Labor Day weekend Dead Zone. So Tuesday they make the announcement. 

Unless he's playing and the contract is still being hammered out. Then it might be later in the week. 

Just can't see this going longer. 

I am not predicting he will do this, but there is another option.  He could decide to wait it out, see how the team is sitting at the New Year, and come back for the stretch run.  Maybe he shortens his season to about 50 regular season games plus the playoffs.  That would give the team some development time on the Canes to the winner of the Necas/Gauthier/Geekie/Saku(if he signs) contest, and then see how to proceed from performances and injuries.  It is not unprecedented in other sports, so I would not rule out this option.

21 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I am not predicting he will do this, but there is another option.  He could decide to wait it out, see how the team is sitting at the New Year, and come back for the stretch run.  Maybe he shortens his season to about 50 regular season games plus the playoffs.  That would give the team some development time on the Canes to the winner of the Necas/Gauthier/Geekie/Saku(if he signs) contest, and then see how to proceed from performances and injuries.  It is not unprecedented in other sports, so I would not rule out this option.

It happened in this sport last year.  The player in question escapes me right now...

32 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

It happened in this sport last year.  The player in question escapes me right now...

Was it Mike Fisher, or was that two years ago?

56 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I believe he'd have to come back by Dec. 1st.  (which doesn't change your general premise)

I'm guessing that the Captain's role would complicate that option, though.

23 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I believe he'd have to come back by Dec. 1st.  (which doesn't change your general premise)

I'm guessing that the Captain's role would complicate that option, though.

I understand that RFA's not signed by December 1 can not play, but is that also true for UFA's?

If he is able to and chooses to, I believe the team, and interim captain (Jordo?) will welcome him back for the balance of the season with open arms.  This could be the best of all worlds solution.

46 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I understand that RFA's not signed by December 1 can not play, but is that also true for UFA's?

If he is able to and chooses to, I believe the team, and interim captain (Jordo?) will welcome him back for the balance of the season with open arms.  This could be the best of all worlds solution.

Not positive on the Dec. 1st rule.  I guess it might only apply to RFAs.  Even if the team welcomed Willy back mid season, seems like it could still be a bit awkward.  Regardless of who else wore the C seems like Willy would be perceived as the defacto Captain given his role with the team to date.  For some reason I could see it going over better if it occurred spontaneously rather than as a planned move.

Edited by LakeLivin