The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

7 hours ago, beboplar said:

I understand that RFA's not signed by December 1 can not play, but is that also true for UFA's?

. . .

Fisher signed right before the trade deadline, so it looks like the Dec 1st deadline only does apply to RFAs. 

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Fisher signed right before the trade deadline, so it looks like the Dec 1st deadline only does apply to RFAs. 

It's a long grind when considering to start the engine up for pre-season games, 82 regular season games, and hopefully close to 20 playoff games.  Skipping the first 30 games or so could be an answer that works for both sides.  

I would think that if Williams is going to retire he would have announced it by now.   A good marketing ploy would be to announce his return for 1 year just prior to  training camp.  This would get the fans fired up and help in ticket sales.    I could see a business man like Dundon doing this.   I sure hope he returns.   He  will go down in my book  as one of the more dynamic captains  the hurricanes ever had well at least 2nd place to Brindamour.  Why is the poll closed ?

22 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I would think that if Williams is going to retire he would have announced it by now.   A good marketing ploy would be to announce his return for 1 year just prior to  training camp.  This would get the fans fired up and help in ticket sales.    I could see a business man like Dundon doing this.   I sure hope he returns.   He  will go down in my book  as one of the more dynamic captains  the hurricanes ever had well at least 2nd place to Brindamour.  Why is the poll closed ?

The poll is closed because those of us who have no lives and practically live here all summer have already said everything you did--about 100 times :) No matter, though! 

I was thinking along the same lines as you, snuffy, until the reports came out that he was really struggling with the decision. I still think he re-ups, but I no longer think it was a marketing ploy. 

24 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

You're also forgetting about Francis.  He was probably tied for best captain along with Brindy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Nope, not by a long shot.

You can quibble about RBA and Francis, but Francis took a team in a new non-hockey market and carried it to the playoffs and SCF. I don’t know but might Rod have learned his leadership style from the previous captain? JWilly was captain for one year. I’m not moving him ahead of Francis based on that.

• Like 1

In this debate, RBA vs RF, I suppose my sentimentalist side shows? I never said or thought Ron Francis was not a good "captain", just that Rod is Heart and Soul Canes. He came to this, at the time inauspicious, venue not of his choosing, and bought into it completely. He solidified a team with similar eclecticism, and won a cup where many doubted  this market, and still do, something I'll remind you that Francis was unable to see thru. Further, Francis, the captain, left for one last shot at a Cup, with Toronto. Now, it's likely potato or potatoe, but in my eyes (and may be mine alone), Rod Brind'Amour is the ultimate Carolina Hurricanes' C, and it was for his unabashed love for our community that I always thought he was the best choice for our HC because I knew he has extreme loyalty to the area.

As to the contention "Francis took this team to the playoffs on a way more consistent basis than Rod ever did as captain", might I remind you of the division in which we played at the time, colloquially known as "the Southleast" for good reason, thus not too hard to be on top and garner a playoff spot? No, I don't pay any more attention to that stat as I do to Faulk being a 2 time All Star? Sorry, had to get that last in.

I was right .  I hate that im right .  But this does open  up the roster for more  slots to be filled .   Now it would seem like Jordan Staal will be the Captain for the Canes  going forward .  

This is what Williams had to say 

"This is the first time in my life that I've felt unsure of my aspirations with regards to hockey," said Williams. "For as long as I can remember, my whole off-season until this point has been hockey and doing what was necessary to prepare for the upcoming season. Because of my current indecision, and without the type of mental and physical commitment that I'm accustomed to having, I've decided to step away from the game.

"It's important to me that the focus of attention is on the current, very talented group the Carolina Hurricanes have assembled, as they prepare to build on the momentum and growth we established last season."

Edited by Canesfanforever

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So the decision is indecision?

Think about it .  Not every player is the same at that Age   and   for Williams  he was and still is more concerned about how much he could actually contribute to the game .  If he had thought that  he is not up to par on doing what he needed to do  for  one more season  then   he did not want to be part of the reason why  when the team faltered .   The man has a ton of pride in what he does  and  he  was unsure  if he could go another  round .    Just recently Cam Ward  retired  and he was only 35 .  Andrew luck retired  , Gronk  retired  .  all young men .    Then you have  some guys who dont know how to retire  that i could go on naming people .   

Everyone is built  differently  and for Williams I stand humbled  at what he has accomplished in his career and appreciate    what he did for the Canes when he was here  and in the league alone .   

Edited by Canesfanforever

Yah, but it’s not a definitive retirement or he’s gearing up to come back later in the season like Mike Fisher did for the Preds a few seasons ago...so I see it as no decision, other than he’s not gonna play for now.

Yep, looks like he's thinking of Mike Fishering it, or at least leaving that option open.

I retired recently.  My bosses wanted me to do what JWillie is doing, i.e. say I'm taking a break.  They hoped I'd come to my senses and call them for a job back and they could use me as a kind of free agent to fill in busy times.

Nope.  I had to tell them I was DONE, DONE, DONE.

That's me.  Not everyone is like that.  I see a lot of people in my business take some time off and come back.  It is mostly mental fatigue in my business.   Hockey players get both mental and physical fatigue.

Edited by wxray1

Off by a day. Would have waited a day if the answer was playing now though.

Dang though, I was really hoping he'd be back one more year. I guess it does technically leave a door open for a late season return as he seems to be implying that he just hasn't been working out enough, AND he did not use the word RETIRE but clearly we need a new captain.

If I'm Necas, I'm respectfully, and very privately going :ohyeah:

I do think this opens some definitive risk for a step back this year. I don't think so, but there is a bigger risk.

Now who's captain?

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Off by a day. Would have waited a day if the answer was playing now though.

Dang though, I was really hoping he'd be back one more year. I guess it does technically leave a door open for a late season return as he seems to be implying that he just hasn't been working out enough, but clearly we need a new captain.

If I'm Necas, I'm respectfully, and very privately going :ohyeah:

I do think this opens some definitive risk for a step back this year. I don't think so, but there is a bigger risk.

Now who's captain?

That’s the question. We arguably replaced the scoring, but where will the leadership come from? Not knowing the dynamics in the room, I’m not sure Staal or Faulk have the capability of being vocal when needed. I’d bet on Aho if he had a couple more strong seasons. But they can say they are glad the offer sheet ended the contract situation, but I’m not sure I make the guy who did it captain 3 months later. Slavin?

6 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

That’s the question. We arguably replaced the scoring, but where will the leadership come from? Not knowing the dynamics in the room, I’m not sure Staal or Faulk have the capability of being vocal when needed. I’d bet on Aho if he had a couple more strong seasons. But they can say they are glad the offer sheet ended the contract situation, but I’m not sure I make the guy who did it captain 3 months later. Slavin?

Roddy will know.

5 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess we need a new poll about who will or should be the new captain.

I think we will go without captain until either JW returns at some point duri g the season or confirms retirement.