The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

Darn, def surprised. Thought he was coming back.  Makes me a little nervous to not have him in the locker room or on the ice.  Huge loss.  Slavin for captain. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess we need a new poll about who will or should be the new captain.

Not happy I got this poll right but it does open the door for Necas on wing.

26 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

I think we will go without captain until either JW returns at some point duri g the season or confirms retirement.

Ain’t no way. That would be akin to keeping the team hostage for one person.

Edited by cc

28 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Not happy I got this poll right but it does open the door for Necas on wing.

I have Necas inked in now. He'd have to seriously underwhelm to miss IMO. 

5 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

What the heck happened in that Boston series?

I think he realized he had given it all he had, and it wasn't enough.  He put the whole organization on his back, and it took a toll on him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

What the heck happened in that Boston series?

Did you not see the faces on the bench at the start of game 4?  It was the look of defeat.  Watch the game especially the beginning. 

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

I think we will go without captain until either JW returns at some point duri g the season or confirms retirement.

No, no, no!

Let's move on for pete's sake!   JW coming back and being named captain after this fiasco?  Bad.

• Like 2

It was going to eventually come to this. While I would love nothing more to see JW skate for us again, it won’t last forever. Not trying to complicate the obvious but we can’t hang on to one guy forever no matter how instrumental they were. Next man up! With that said, I hope JW does what his heart and body tells him is right to do. Either way he will always Oh Captain My Captain 👍🏽

I really have to digest this, but it could also be a side effect of a short recovery from a deep playoff run. 

I think we will miss his leadership for sure, but I wonder if there will be some role for him off ice? 

It would be weird for a mid season return, but I think they will name a captain before the season starts and he'd return without a letter if there are no injuries to the leaders. If he returns. Again if the deep playoff run is part of it or just the idea of a full season is part if it, it might try a mid season return. I really didn't think he would, but this makes me wonder. It will probably depend on other factors too. How the team does. Injuries. Do we need scoring, etc.

1 hour ago, Bonivan said:

If he doesn't start the season, he gives up the C. You can't have a part time captain. It's time to move on. Thanks for everything, JW, but it's either in or out. I have all the respect in the world for him, but you can't count on a guy that's not fully committed. I'm not blaming him. He's certainly earned the right to hang em up. I wish him nothing but the best, but, I think, his days as a Cane are done.

• Like 5

I’m not sure JW’s jersey belongs in the rafters, but certainly he’s due a game honoring his contributions to the Canes. When that happens, we’ll know he’s done for good. My gut says he’s done, but time will tell. Playing golf with Cam might have been a hint.

12 hours ago, remkin said:

I really have to digest this, but it could also be a side effect of a short recovery from a deep playoff run. 

I think we will miss his leadership for sure, but I wonder if there will be some role for him off ice? 

It would be weird for a mid season return, but I think they will name a captain before the season starts and he'd return without a letter if there are no injuries to the leaders. If he returns. Again if the deep playoff run is part of it or just the idea of a full season is part if it, it might try a mid season return. I really didn't think he would, but this makes me wonder. It will probably depend on other factors too. How the team does. Injuries. Do we need scoring, etc.

So take a deep breath.  This decision makes total sense.  He does not have the fire in his belly to be 100% in right now.  As he sits and watches the team, his team, go through the highs and lows, we will all have to wait and see how he responds to being away from the game.  There is no way to make a definitive prediction of what will happen.  He is a fierce competitor, and this past season showed us that he still has the drive and skillset to perform on the ice, as well as lead the team.  

I suspect Jordan Staal will be named captain, and may continue to wear the C if JW returns a few months in.  Maybe JW takes on an A, but acts as the de facto captain.  

I think we will know a lot more by early November.  For a return to the ice around the new year, I think he will have to commence training by then, especially considering he will be 38.  His absence with allow one or more of the Charlotte forward prospects to spend time on the Raleigh ice.  No guarantee it's Necas, but he will definitely compete.  

The timing of this decision is fine.  The team will respond and move on until there's a status change.

I just don't see a mid-season return going well.  When you are 38 in a young man's sport a long sit would be difficult to overcome.  Training on your own away from the team is not the same as skating every day, and being ready for game speed.  He might not be back to form until the end of the season.  Too many athletes can't let go and wind up getting forced out, and I would much rather see him retire when every remembers him for all the good.

Not many Gordie Howe or Jaramir Jagr types.  Personally I wish he wanted to come back this year.  However, if he doesn't have that burning desire to do it, and be ready at the start of the season, I would rather see him go out on top of his game.

I don't know if he would  come back mid-season or even sooner. I do know that his leadership brought us back to the promised land (playoffs) and set a tone for the young players to emulate going forward.  He did the job he was brought in to do even with the EC final slap down.

If he doesn't come back and I'm inclined to think he won't this will be the first season we dress a team that doesn't have an 06 player on the ice. Intended or not it becomes time to look forward

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

The look on his face after that series is why I voted he's hanging up the skates.

And leaving on his equipment until bedtime.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with contract negotiations? Mabye he didn't get the offer he wanted.

Yeah, because everyone knows Dundon is so cheap ( SMILEY FACE because I don't know where the emoticons are).

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with contract negotiations? Mabye he didn't get the offer he wanted.

I doubt it, yet Dundon has been a bit all over the place on this. Mostly though he seems cheap with non player types, though we really don't know what he was floating Aho before the big offer sheet thing. Still, all speculations seem fair to me. Until we hear more, it is possible that TD was low balling him. Again, this is not my position, but who knows?