The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll

Willie or Won't He: The Justin Williams Poll  

32 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What will Justin Williams decide to do?

• Return to the ice with the Canes
    • Retire
    • Return to the ice with another team

I thought that the idea of an "into the season" return seemed so hard to pull off that it was unlikely. But it is pretty clear by the way this thing was worded, it is absolutely being dangled as a possibility, if not probability.

If we take Williams at his word, and read into how physically defeated he looked after the Boston series, it could make some sense. The guy is honestly just wore out. Because of the long playoff run, the offseason was shortened also. While I agree that there will come a point that it will be hard to ramp up his hockey-old body. For about half of the NHL the offseason began around April 7th. For half of the playoff teams, it ended April 16-23. For half of the remaining eight it ended May 3-8. Our season ended May 15th and with a brutal, no gas in the tank thumping by Boston. 

So William's offseason was shortened by as much as 5 weeks. But beyond a shortened offseason is the toll of those additional 15 playoff games. Taken together it could be adjusted by about an additional 6-7 weeks off, to offset that. 

Looking at the schedule, the team has a combination of long, far west coast road trip, (which he'd surely love to skip), followed by a huge block of time off (5 days) after that (October 13th-24). This stretch is followed by a pretty regular home-away with mostly Eastern away games. This stretch is also about 6 weeks from the first pre-season game and 7 weeks after the start of camp. 

So...if the Canes keep the cap space open (don't go get some role playing veteran with the space), it would be a very interesting time for J Williams to get an extra 6 or so weeks to rest. Knock about 9-10 games off the long season too. That would be a Justin Williams return for the home game vs. Chicago on October 26th (or the road game in Columbus on the 24th). This would also avoid a prolonged time away that a later return would cause. 

If he was thinking of about half of a season, the end of December starts a long home stand, and most of January games are at home, with only two road games, both close by. The problem there IMO is just missing so much hockey, but it would be a very sweet time to return.

I have to think that if that is the plan, it will depend on how the team is doing, and the injury situation. But if a top 9 player goes down or fails to launch well, it would clearly open a slot. 

I will close with this. The Canes are anything but predictable and by the book. This is a bit outside of norms, but then again, so were other things for this bunch of jerks.

39 minutes ago, remkin said:

I doubt it, yet Dundon has been a bit all over the place on this. Mostly though he seems cheap with non player types, though we really don't know what he was floating Aho before the big offer sheet thing. Still, all speculations seem fair to me. Until we hear more, it is possible that TD was low balling him. Again, this is not my position, but who knows?

It is hard to believe that a player revered as much as JW would get into a $ hassle with the team.  I foresee him morphing into a position of management and/or coaching with the team following his playing career.  Thanks for your longer message later about the Canes schedule, including timing of the west coast and start of home game flurry.  That time around Dec when they begin home games flowing into Jan sounds like a good bet for his return if that is his ultimate choice.  I don't see the point of him returning in October, and he probably won't physically be ready anyway.

It's interesting, though.  Do the Canes go ahead and sign Saku and McKeown now?

33 minutes ago, beboplar said:

It is hard to believe that a player revered as much as JW would get into a $ hassle with the team.  I foresee him morphing into a position of management and/or coaching with the team following his playing career.  Thanks for your longer message later about the Canes schedule, including timing of the west coast and start of home game flurry.  That time around Dec when they begin home games flowing into Jan sounds like a good bet for his return if that is his ultimate choice.  I don't see the point of him returning in October, and he probably won't physically be ready anyway.

It's interesting, though.  Do the Canes go ahead and sign Saku and McKeown now?

Just to be clear, I don't really think that's what it is. I think it's about either retiring or getting some time to rest and to shorten a season that might include more playoffs. I have to think that a partial return could have a pro-rated salary, which could help in fitting other guys like Saku or McKeown in.

Make the break and move on. This Dangling act is tiresome. 

Just my uninformed opinion as always.

• Like 2

from TheHockeyNews

"Think about it this way: it offers months for Williams to continue to rest his body, recuperate and come back fresh. It also allows the Hurricanes to bring Williams in later in the season, or at some point when they might be in dire need of his services, at a lesser rate. If he’s only joining the club in the back half of the season, he might be more willing to take close to league minimum. And with Williams in the fold at that price, Carolina would have cap flexibility at the deadline, which will be important if they’re again right in the hunt for a playoff spot. Even if they only add Williams, though, he’s another offensive driver who is a proven contributor. If he plays bottom-six minutes, it’s a certain upgrade and mitigates the need to spend an asset to get help at the most important time of the season. Truly, it’s a scenario that seemingly works out well for both sides."

"Does that mean it’s a virtual certainty Williams comes back? Not any more than it is a guarantee that he’s as good as retired. But we’ve seen veteran players depart in the past only to come back refreshed later in the campaign. Fisher followed the likes of Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan and Mats Sundin, to name a notable few. And the open-endedness of Williams’ decision gives reason to believe he will be the next. And make no mistake that if or when the time comes, the Hurricanes will welcome him with open arms."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yeah, because everyone knows Dundon is so cheap ( SMILEY FACE because I don't know where the emoticons are).

Could also be term. Might affect the ability to sign some of the young guys. Not cheap, but not stupid.

If Williams had suffered a physical injury that required surgery and several months of rehabilitation, we would not question his absence early in the season and would welcome him back when he was ready. Mentally, he appears just not to be ready at this time to make a full commitment to play. If and when he returns, it should be treated with the enthusiasm and respect he is due.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sundance-ch1 said:

If Williams had suffered a physical injury that required surgery and several months of rehabilitation, we would not question his absence early in the season and would welcome him back when he was ready. Mentally, he appears just not to be ready at this time to make a full commitment to play. If and when he returns, it should be treated with the enthusiasm and respect he is due.

Good point about injured players having to come back, and they have to rehab the injury too. It is also very possible that the team sustains an injury or two and starts to spin out a little and Justin could come in and turn things around by shoring up whatever is missing. 

The farther I get from the announcement, the more okay I am with it. And I don't know whether he had direct involvement in it or not, but I must nonetheless do something I don't do much: Give PK props. Willy came up in the Compuware/Plymouth Whale system. He may well become (what I believe would be) its first HOF'er.

I believe if he comes back it would be between January 1st and the trade deadline. Think about where we were last January 1st. I don’t think anyone would have come back for that. Look at how many teams add guys at the trade deadline and it doesn’t work out. Then again, it worked for us in ‘06. Until he says definitively he’s retired, the speculation will continue, and I think playing later in the season is at least on his mind. I think the team would be better served to move on, but time will tell. 

12 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm still confused as to what in the hell happened.

How so, Justin is winding down and needs more time? Time to move on as if he'll not return. I guess that's what you were talking about "confused"?

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

How so, Justin is winding down and needs more time? Time to move on as if he'll not return. I guess that's what you were talking about "confused"?

Yeah, why not just announce retirement?  Leads me to beleive he is unsure or pull a Fisher.

I wonder if Justin is thinking more and more about a return at some point now that we've signed Gardiner. Maybe the idea was to get Gardiner in, let things shake out in preseason and camp leading to a trade, then Williams returns. It's all part of the plan! Also lets Williams get some more rest and skip camp. 

This is a bit conspiratorial and probably out there, BUT, if the Canes do go with all "A"s and no "C". Then put a bet on it. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I wonder if Justin is thinking more and more about a return at some point now that we've signed Gardiner. Maybe the idea was to get Gardiner in, let things shake out in preseason and camp leading to a trade, then Williams returns. It's all part of the plan! Also lets Williams get some more rest and skip camp. 

This is a bit conspiratorial and probably out there, BUT, if the Canes do go with all "A"s and no "C". Then put a bet on it. 

Unless the Canes see Aho as the long term C but don't want to saddle him with that responsibility just yet.  If that were the case I could see them going with Martinook in the interim.  But if not Nooky, I can't see them giving it to Staal or Slavin and then taking it away when they felt Aho was ready, in which case I could see going with "captaincy by committee" as a bridge to Aho.

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Unless the Canes see Aho as the long term C but don't want to saddle him with that responsibility just yet.  If that were the case I could see them going with Martinook in the interim.  But if not Nooky, I can't see them giving it to Staal or Slavin and then taking it away when they felt Aho was ready, in which case I could see going with "captaincy by committee" as a bridge to Aho.

could be. And we're all speculating, but mine derives from the belief that Brind"Amour strikes me as a coach who would strongly want a captain. So that leans me to thinking that all A's would be a big tell that Williams will return. Still, pure speculation!

Take it from me, once you start thinking of retirement, it's always in the back of your mind.  This comes from a guy who is eligible in 161 days, but who is counting

15 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Who'd a thunk that this poll would need an "other"? :blink:

Yeah, I guess we could do a new one: Will Justin Williams return? Any interest?