The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Who should be the next Canes Captain

Who should be the Next Captain ?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Canes Captain ?

• Jordan Staal
    • Sabastion Aho
    • Justin Faulk
    • Jacob Slavin
    • Other
    • Jordan Martinook

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

i could not edit the post  afterwords  .  Now im able to . 

One more time and you've got it! Still one letter off. I keed though because I get names wrong all the time. 

Interesting to see  so many voted for  Slavin .   I  threw his name on  the poll  cause  I thought he could make a great choice  as Captain  but  maybe a little later down the road once Staal  retires . 

I'm going to pin this because it's relevance just jumped up. Should get about 20 more votes.

BTW CFF, you have the ability to edit this poll I think you can take Williams out, but I'm not sure...

I'm might be the only person on here with this perspective, but I don't believe the fact that we had co-captains necessarily contributed to our disappointing season the year before last.  I'd pin it more on the choice of who those co-captains were.  There are multiple examples of very successful teams that had multiple players sharing the Captains title.  Just look at Vegas, who had 5 alternate captains when they went to the Stanley Cup final the season before last. 

Having said that, I see almost zero chance that the Canes would opt for co-captains again after so many people associate it, rightly or wrongly, as contributing to a disappointing season.

Edited by LakeLivin

Since I'm not in the room, I can't know who is deserving.  Who can motivate the players?  Who can act as the liaison between the boys and the staff?  Who can best handle the refs?  Who can best handle the public aspect?  

I dont not have a clue.  Martinook may be the man as far as I know.  It isn't about who is the best player.  It isn't about selling jerseys.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Since I'm not in the room, I can't know who is deserving.  Who can motivate the players?  Who can act as the liaison between the boys and the staff?  Who can best handle the refs?  Who can best handle the public aspect?  

I dont not have a clue.  Martinook may be the man as far as I know.  It isn't about who is the best player.  It isn't about selling jerseys.

:goodpost:

This. And part of answering all those questions is "who's ready" (thinking of Aho and Slavin).  I could see Martinook as being a good bridge to Aho as our eventual long term Captain. 

I don't think having co-captains had any more to do with a bad season than having a single captain caused bad seasons the 8 seasons before it.  As to who the right choice is, i'm not in the room either so i can't call it.  I still feel the players should choose their captain.  I certainly don't see either Staal or Faulk as players who can carry the team on their back like Brind'Amour or Williams, but again i'm not in the room so i can't call it.  Fully agreed with SD - it isn't about selling jerseys.  Find the real leader and not the posterboy.

• Like 1

I think there is a difference between having 5 A's and a dual C captaincy.

5 A's says "interim."  It is done frequently.

2 C's says: "management can't decide anything."

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I think there is a difference between having 5 A's and a dual C captaincy.

5 A's says "interim."  It is done frequently.

2 C's says: "management can't decide anything."

I don't share that feeling.  It doesn't appear to be "interim" for Vegas; they still share the captaincy among several players (whether you call them co-captains or alternate captains is just a matter of terminology to me).  And several teams with some of the most successful long term runs in recent years have used multiple captains (e.g., the San Antonio Spurs and New England Patriots).

Again, I'm not arguing for multiple captains.  And there are certain personality types for whom I don't think sharing would work.  But I think Realm summed it up well; I don't blame the co-captaincy structure for our 2017-18 woes any more than I blame having a single captain for our woes the 8 season before that.  Now, if you want to talk about the particular players who filled those roles (co- or single)  . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Staal is a quiet keep to himself guy.  Not good captain material in my opinion.  I like Slavin for captain but I'm not sure how much he leads in the room.  I do trust that Rod knows who should be captain and will make the right choice.  Just not Faulk please and i really don't think Aho is ready, I still see him as  a bratty young kid on the team.  

34 minutes ago, remkin said:

Didn't realize the poll was closed. Just reopened if anyone wants to vote.

Can people change their previous vote?  If not, wouldn't restarting it make more sense given Willy's announcement?

I didn't vote as I didn't have a feel for it either way.  My main hangup was that it would be really difficult for Willy to match the season he had last year, both from a playing and leadership perspective.  Given the pressure I assume someone like Willy puts on himself, I could see that as being a real factor in his decision, especially if he wants his legacy to be going out as much on top as possible . 

Also, I'm wondering if it wasn't just the sweep by Boston that might have left him on a down note, but the fact that he more or less got upstaged by Marchand with respect to gamesmanship.  Seemed to me like Willy specifically tried to get in Marchand's head, but it wasn't successful and actually ended up hurting the Canes.  I hope that Willy didn't let his feelings be overly colored by the Boston series after such a great overall season (60 points, EC finals, the Storm Surge).   You wouldn't think so since It pales in comparison, but on the other hand it was the last thing he experienced.

Edited by LakeLivin

from TheHockeyNews

"Think about it this way: it offers months for Williams to continue to rest his body, recuperate and come back fresh. It also allows the Hurricanes to bring Williams in later in the season, or at some point when they might be in dire need of his services, at a lesser rate. If he’s only joining the club in the back half of the season, he might be more willing to take close to league minimum. And with Williams in the fold at that price, Carolina would have cap flexibility at the deadline, which will be important if they’re again right in the hunt for a playoff spot. Even if they only add Williams, though, he’s another offensive driver who is a proven contributor. If he plays bottom-six minutes, it’s a certain upgrade and mitigates the need to spend an asset to get help at the most important time of the season. Truly, it’s a scenario that seemingly works out well for both sides."

"Does that mean it’s a virtual certainty Williams comes back? Not any more than it is a guarantee that he’s as good as retired. But we’ve seen veteran players depart in the past only to come back refreshed later in the campaign. Fisher followed the likes of Peter Forsberg, Brendan Shanahan and Mats Sundin, to name a notable few. And the open-endedness of Williams’ decision gives reason to believe he will be the next. And make no mistake that if or when the time comes, the Hurricanes will welcome him with open arms."

Edited by LakeLivin

A refreshed Williams injected part way into the season could be a big shot in the arm, especially if we sustain any significant injuries to our top 9. I do think if we waits too long it will take a while to get up to game speed, but also, injecting him into a team that is winning, and with no one injured could pose it's own issues. But this is why it is probably a wait and see what the situation looks like along the way. 

I trust that RB already knows who will wear the "C" in 2019-2020. As fans it's fun to speculate; but RB has a special connection with this team, and will award it to a solid leader. And, I'm sure that he discussed it with Willie to get his opinion.

I have begun a new poll for those who want to opine. Yes I know, Rod knows best. But if the standard for opining is having all inside knowledge and all knowing hockey knowledge, then a lot of these posts would be blank. 

I'm going to lock this one at this point, so we don't have two threads going. If one of the other mods wants to merge, have at it, I have to run. Maybe later. 

• Like 1