The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
legend-1

Can Ward signed to retire a Cane

Good for him, the team, and the fans. Welcome back, Cam! Look forward to your jersey being hoisted to the rafters at PNC.

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Good for him, the team, and the fans. Welcome back, Cam! Look forward to your jersey being hoisted to the rafters at PNC.

I dunno about jersey retirement, but they had damn well better have a "Cam Ward Night" this season.

• Like 1

Was pretty classy of the Hawks to let Cam play the last game of the season, despite how rough of a season he had. Glad I watched it.

He finished 23rd all time in wins, frankly considering some of the rosters he played on is pretty amazing on top of already being an amazing feat.

His play may have turned out more uneven than we hoped, but he was better than anyone else we had at the time, brought us a cup, and was and is a quality person. We should absolutely have a night for him. Jersey retirement? Just don't think that the body of work hit that level IMO. He did play long enough to hit those wins, and his wins and losses always surpassed his save percentage, so I'm not saying it won't happen, but I just don't think the whole thing hit the number retirement threshold. Maybe I'm too strict about it.

That said, the sheer amount of time he was our #1 goalie might get it done.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I dunno about jersey retirement, but they had damn well better have a "Cam Ward Night" this season.

I think it is a given the jersey will be in the rafters 

• Like 4

Good for Cam. Thanks for your part in the Carolina's only major pro sports championship, and for all the good times as a Hurricane.

"Ward says nooooooooo"

-Sleekfeeder

• Like 1

In 2010-2011, Cam played in 74 games and then in 68 the next year.  He was in 69 in 2007-2008.  He was ridden into the ice. Could have had better career numbers if JR had any interest in getting him a legit backup.  No other goalie has played in 74 games in a season since the 2010-2011 season.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

I will always love  this .  Class act  from the canes to do this and let this man go out as a cane  !   I hope  he is there for game 1 against montreal  to ring the  siren  and   up in the booth to talk to  john and trip during the game .   Ward  was and always will be  one of my favorite  people   that ever wore a Canes Jersey !  

THIS IS HOW YOU  BE AN OWNER   TOM  DUNDON !    Good job on this one  and glad you  did it . 

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

A Class Act always, and always loved him. Just hope this doesn't represent the final act to tip Justin over?

I'd tell Justin that this is Cam's year to get the retirement love. One of the next couple of years can be all his.

• Like 2

Congrats on a 13 year NHL career, Cam.  You represented the Hurricanes with class and grace on and off the ice.  Enjoy your retirement.

We were at his first game. We met his Dad in the EYE the next morning, and he was more proud of the kind of kid he was than the win the night before. We got to meet Cam at Skate With the Canes later that year, and his dad was 100% right. Cam was a good goalie, but he was a much better person. I'm glad he had the chance to retire as a Cane, but it sure went by fast. I hope he enjoys retirement.

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I think it is a given the jersey will be in the rafters 

I disagree...the overall body of work deserves scrutiny...mostly cause of JR riding him like a rented mule and only giving him one capable backup (Manny Legace).  The ‘06 Cup/Conn Smythe and 08-09 seasons aside, the numbers just didn’t materialize.  Again, not entirely his fault, but it has to be discussed at a minimum.

Will I be happy if his number gets retired?  You bet!  He was our franchise goalie for over a decade.  But I just don’t see it as a lock.

He should get his jersey in the rafters. Without him, we don't win the cup in 2006, much less make it past the 1st round and he is the 1st to win a Conn Smythe as a Hurricane.

Maybe he'll get a chance in some other position with the org???

Edited by hopper915

I guess I’m a little tired of the jersey retirement thing.

IMO you should have to be one of the all-time greats to have your number retired.

Ward wasn’t one of the greats.

People will disagree, and that’s fine.

• Like 3

Only had the opportunity to meet him once. This was a couple of years ago and Cam was about to skate off the ice and he heard me. Then I had to get my daughter and he waited for her. He was my daughter's favorite for a while and was happy to have the chance to meet him.

20160110_150720.jpg

4 hours ago, Kyrule said:

IMO you should have to be one of the all-time greats to have your number retired.

10,000 percent with you (and GET OFF MY LAWN.)

If JR were still here we'd have already announced the ceremony for opening night.

I love all Cam did for the community and that he brought us a Cup. But I think the Conn Smythe banner that already hangs is exactly proportional to the degree of hockey immortality his career should secure for him.

Classy move Carolina, classy move. I agree that jersey retirement needs to be strict. Your body of work has to be exemplary in order to be considered. This way, only the best of the best gets to grace the ceiling. Cam will always be a huge part of Hurricanes history and I will always be grateful and proud of his contributions. But he's not quite up there.

Little Storm’s favorite player by far is Cam so she was thrilled with this classy move by the Canes.

Jersey retirement, like some, I’m a little torn as to that and don’t know if I want the Canes to hang a banner after every long time player retirement just like NCSU hangs a banner every time they win a basketball game (or so it seems from the clutter in the rafters), but I certainly will make a special effort to be at the ceremony if there is one.

Two things. 1st a technicality, so he signed a 1 day contract, technically is that for the 1st day of our season, i.e. 10/3, or yesterday? And if on 10/3 (I guess technically this is the 2nd question but maybe part B of 1st), does he suit up for us one last time?

Now onward, I suppose I am the contrarian here, but as we recognize often, this game is not just about the "Xs and Os", but a representation and acknowledgement that there are larger things than it. While I confess to being a consummate romanticist, and further completely recognizing the validity of several posting above related to Cam's body of work, WE collectively as a fan base know as Paul Harvey use to say "The other side of the story". Because we witnessed how this goalie was frequently overused because he had no credible backup, hung out to dry by poor defensive play and suffered untold premature injuries in the name of being a "good teammate", I think this team, its coaching staff and owners, and particularly us fans who witnessed Cam's consummate greatness should live up to our Bunch of Jerks and Storm Surge notoriety and retire his jersey, if for no other reason than to fly in the face of TRADITION?

• Like 1