The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Canes New Captain. Who will be? Who should be? NEW POLL

Canes New Captain: Will be, should be?  

43 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who WILL become the Canes Next Captain?

• Slavin
    • Aho
    • Staal
    • Martinook
    • Faulk
    • Pesce
    • No Captain, All Alternates: hold open
    • Other player
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Canes Captain?

OK, tried to revive CFF's poll, but some previously voted, and J Williams was a choice, so just starting this new.

This is, like so many things, just our takes. No one is in the locker room, and yes Brind'Amour will know best. But based on what we do know, who do you predict will be picked, and who would you pick if it were your choice and you had to pick!

• Like 1

For both "Should" and "Will": 50/50 tossup between Martinook holding down the role until Aho and/ or Slavin are ready to assume the mantle and All Alternates (until Aho and/ or Slavin are ready to assume the mantle).  Went with Nookie.

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't know if Staal wants it. If so, I think he gets it. If not, Nino or TT could be dark horses in this race, so I voted "some other player" for who will get it.

For who should, in the best of all possible worlds, it's Slavin, and it remains Slavin for as long as he wants it. That would bring so many things: Stability in what has in recent years has been a game of musical captains; a guy we drafted and developed gets the brass ring, sending a nice message to prospects; and a soft-spoken but smart, reasoned voice who is arguably the hardest worker we've got, on and off the ice.

My guess is the organ eye ZAY shun wants Aho to have it eventually, and probably for all the wrong reasons, i.e., a sweetener next time he's up for renewal. I don't agree with using letters as bargaining chips, and hope it's not the plan. But whether it's Aho in the long run or not, Slavin works. He'd graciously accept a demotion to A, or could remain C--and let Aho focus on what he does best. 

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

My guess is the organ eye ZAY shun wants Aho to have it eventually, and probably for all the wrong reasons, i.e., a sweetener next time he's up for renewal. I don't agree with using letters as bargaining chips, and hope it's not the plan. But whether it's Aho in the long run or not, Slavin works. He'd graciously accept a demotion to A, or could remain C--and let Aho focus on what he does best.

top, I agree with this, and further the vote for Slavin. It would be interesting, Who makes that choice, both in this organization as well as in general. From my vantage point, it should be either the HC or the 3 coaches and no-one else because they have their collective fingers on the team's pulse. If you open it up to the team then you risk fragmentation and "playing favorites"? If the decision is the HC's to make, then I'd doubt Brind'Amour would be so crass as to assign a C for the "wrong reasons". Same goes for the HC and the other 2 coaches. Not sure even who else in the organization could/would even venture there, but certainly hope that Waddell and/or Dundon would be wise enough to stay out of that team function, which would ultimately hamstring RBA?

I think Staal will and should get the C and Slavin should get the A this year. Jordan would have been the loan C a couple years ago if there hadn't been concern with him following his brother. This gives Slavin a couple years to wear the A and prepare to be the C going into the future.

Slavin is the present and future of the D Corp and his contract gives us stability for years to come. Giving him the C now which is deserving will put a stop to the annual merry go round or duck duck goose for a Captain.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

If I knew who could motivate the room, work the refs, and handle the coach...I'd have a clue. 

I think we have seen what Staal and Faulk do, so pass.

I think Aho still needs to develop and putting that pressure on him is too much in my eyes, so pass.

No captain sucks, so pass.

That leaves Slavin, Pesce, and Martinook.  Martinook seems to be the most outgoing.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 1

Things that interest me about this poll so far:

1. The gap between will and should. "Will" is majority Staal (with a small Martinook contingency). But "Should" is a heavy nod to Slavin yet not a single Will for Slavin.

2. No love for Faulk. 

3. No should votes for Aho, and only one will.

4. Our board so far is putting Staal, Slavin, Martinook as the only guys in the running. 

One hand: None of us are in the room, and it's hard to know who to pick since we don't really know, and we were pretty wrong two years ago.

Other hand: the brilliant genius who was in the room and did have the inside knowledge went with co captains, so maybe we can do as well, and last year went with Williams and that turned out pretty well. So we can still opine.

One thought on Slavin is this. If he is Captain then Aho will have to wait for a long long time. I hate to think of it that way, but if the team wants to eventually hand it to Aho, then a placeholder like Martinook could be an interesting option, but even Staal might make sense. There is always the theory that Staal couldn't really step up last time since he was saddled with the weird co-captain thing. 

I also wonder about the effect of the whole "Aho was willing to jump ship, offer sheet thing." I think that has worked out well, but making him Captain right after that could be a little weird. Seems like some time needs to pass. 

Here's another thought. If Williams does come back, it could be a bit weird on the leadership front. Not sure how it would affect certain guys as Captain, but Martinook would seem like a perfect guy if we want a placeholder who could still provide leadership. 

Still, my gut feeling is that while Martinook is a heart and soul type, for some reason, I just don't see him with quite the on ice gravitas to be captain. Just an opinion.

• Like 1

We don't need placeholders for the C. Who knows how long Martinook even has a job here. We need to get away from the annual naming of captains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

One thought on Slavin is this. If he is Captain then Aho will have to wait for a long long time.

Call it an "offer sheet tax."

Edit: I responded after only read that far in your post.  I see you conjectured something similar later in your post.

Edited by wxray1

IMHO - 

Staal gets the C

Slavin gets an A

Martinook gets an A

Aho is not ready.  Let him concentrate on his game, maybe someday, but he may not be leader material.  A lot of high paid players are not Captains for a reason, they are paid to get points, not lead.  There are only a few teams where the "best" player is the Captain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

top, I agree with this, and further the vote for Slavin. It would be interesting, Who makes that choice, both in this organization as well as in general. From my vantage point, it should be either the HC or the 3 coaches and no-one else because they have their collective fingers on the team's pulse. If you open it up to the team then you risk fragmentation and "playing favorites"? If the decision is the HC's to make, then I'd doubt Brind'Amour would be so crass as to assign a C for the "wrong reasons". Same goes for the HC and the other 2 coaches. Not sure even who else in the organization could/would even venture there, but certainly hope that Waddell and/or Dundon would be wise enough to stay out of that team function, which would ultimately hamstring RBA?

I think it should be a team vote, always have.

As for who would go there, I agree that TD and DW wouldn't but JR sure did. I don't see it happening again as long as RBA is around, but what I can see happening (not with Aho, but someone) is making a letter a pre condition to signing or re-upping. If you make it standard policy that they're always awarded by vote of the team, you short circuit even the thought of that.

Needless to say the canes have no shortage of  leaders in who could be a captain now or later on .    But ideally  you always want some one who can pass on knowledge   have a stern voice and is always   ready to listen to others first  rather than to push their weight around  wanting things only done their way .   In other words  No Ego !  

When i look at the roster as leadership material and ranking it from top to bottom  here is who i see 

Staal

Niederreirter 

Slavin 

Teravainen

Aho

Martinook

Then the cut off   for players possibly years down the road 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulk

Hamilton

Pesce

Svechnikov

Wallmark

Foegele 

TVR 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Future  up and comers  if they still happen to make the team  and stay  a long time 

Suzuki

Gauthier 

Geekie

Necas 

Fensore

Sellgren

Honka

Bean 

4 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

We need to get away from the annual naming of captains.

I agree with this, but i'd rather have annual naming of captains than the no-C/3-A's option or naming 2 Captains like season before last.

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

so I voted "some other player" for who will get it.

I want a "some player" option... i'd vote for that.

"Who's the new Captain?"

"Some player."

• Like 1

Couple thoughts on Aho and Slavin.

Aho:

I don't see Aho as ever being the rah-rah type. But I still remember him on the bench early in his rookie year mapping out something to Staal during a game.  That confidence and apparent insight from an 18yo kid brand new to the team screamed leadership to me at the  time.   And his statement from early last season after a reporter mentioned his improvement was something along the lines of "I've been working for 18 years to get better and I'm not done yet".  I also take the kid at his word when he says he signed the offer sheet because it was a way for him to cut through the process and make sure he could get back to focusing on hockey as quickly as possible. Compare that to all of the other high profile RFAs who are still unsigned and may not be on the ice when camp begins.  Aho will probably never be the "rah-rah" type, but the kid might well display the "leadership by example" traits that benefit a team in a different way. 

Having said all that, I don't think I'd saddle Aho with the C just yet.  But if he does end up with it at some point I don't think it will  be because he's the best player on the team, I think it will be because he's a natural leader, a different type leader than, say, Brindy, but a natural leader nonetheless.

Slavin

Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin all mentioned how much John Michael Liles helped them as they broke into the league. After games Liles was always the last skater off the ice, at the door tapping the rest of the team as they exited.  I noticed that Slavin assumed that routine after Liles left.  It's a small thing, but to me it indicates a player thinking about the rest of the team in addition to just himself.  And I'm pretty sure he's specifically said he wants to provide as much leadership as he can.  I do have one concern with Slavin as Captain.  It's well know how big a role his faith plays in his life and that he's not averse to sharing that fact.  If he's content to do that by example, it's a positive imo.  But if he's at all aggressive in sharing his faith, or there's any degree of proselytizing, that would rule him out as captain for me.   

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

So cc sneaks in, votes "other/other" and doesn't post ideas.

cc, what are these "others" you vote for?

11 hours ago, remkin said:

I also wonder about the effect of the whole "Aho was willing to jump ship, offer sheet thing." I think that has worked out well, but making him Captain right after that could be a little weird. Seems like some time needs to pass. 

This is why Aho should not be given a letter any time soon.

9 hours ago, wxray1 said:

So cc sneaks in, votes "other/other" and doesn't post ideas.

cc, what are these "others" you vote for?

Sorry- did not know this was a requirement of the poll. If you want a name to pick apart use this one.  Nino.  And in the infamous words of Smeagol.  "I was not Sneaking"

68e9e06fc0de70613ef47063fc510e84e022e3a2

• Like 3

14 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Slavin

I do have one concern with Slavin as Captain.  It's well know how big a role his faith plays in his life and that he's not averse to sharing that fact.  If he's content to do that by example, it's a positive imo.  But if he's at all aggressive in sharing his faith, or there's any degree of proselytizing, that would rule him out as captain for me.   

I'm not sure what you mean by "any degree of proselytizing," but always get a little concerned when someone wants a religious person to keep quiet about his religion. Slavin is genuine about his faith and it's both unrealistic and unfair to expect him to never to talk about it with his teammates. Since he has been on the team for awhile and seems well respected by his teammates, I suspect that this is a non-issue with them, having been worked out long ago. Why would you think all that might change if he is made captain?   

15 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

But if he's at all aggressive in sharing his faith, or there's any degree of proselytizing, that would rule him out as captain for me.   

This does not belong here.  Same as Politics.  Disclaimer: Original post was not Spyglass88.

Edited by cc

43 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "any degree of proselytizing," but always get a little concerned when someone wants a religious person to keep quiet about his religion. Slavin is genuine about his faith and it's both unrealistic and unfair to expect him to never to talk about it with his teammates. Since he has been on the team for awhile and seems well respected by his teammates, I suspect that this is a non-issue with them, having been worked out long ago. Why would you think all that might change if he is made captain?   

28 minutes ago, cc said:

This does not belong here.  Same as Politics.  Disclaimer: Original post was not Spyglass88.

By no means am I proposing that Slavin needs to repress his faith.  It's more akin to the concept of "separation of church and state" to me. I have no problem with anyone sharing their faith as an individual.. And as I said in my original post, I could see Slavin's faith as being a positive.  I do have issues with people in power pushing their faith through their office.  Note that I"m not saying this is currently an issue with Slavin, or that it necessarily would be if he were named captain.  It's just something I personally would want to be comfortable wouldn't be an issue if I were naming a captain. 

CC: I can see your point.  This is a potentially slippery slope, and if the mods want to remove mine and subsequent posts, I have no problem with that. 

[as an aside: you can click on that "plus sign" to quote multiple posts so readers know which previous posts you're commenting on]    

Edited by LakeLivin