The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Canes New Captain. Who will be? Who should be? NEW POLL

Canes New Captain: Will be, should be?  

43 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who WILL become the Canes Next Captain?

• Slavin
    • Aho
    • Staal
    • Martinook
    • Faulk
    • Pesce
    • No Captain, All Alternates: hold open
    • Other player
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Canes Captain?

Reposting my thoughts on Aho and Slavin less the potentially contentious bit in case the original gets deleted. :).

Aho:

I don't see Aho as ever being the rah-rah type. But I still remember him on the bench early in his rookie year mapping out something to Staal during a game.  That confidence and apparent insight from an 18yo kid brand new to the team screamed leadership to me at the  time.   And his statement from early last season after a reporter mentioned his improvement was something along the lines of "I've been working for 18 years to get better and I'm not done yet".  I also take the kid at his word when he says he signed the offer sheet because it was a way for him to cut through the process and make sure he could get back to focusing on hockey as quickly as possible. Compare that to all of the other high profile RFAs who are still unsigned and may not be on the ice when camp begins.  Aho will probably never be the "rah-rah" type, but the kid might well display the "leadership by example" traits that benefit a team in a different way. 

Having said all that, I don't think I'd saddle Aho with the C just yet.  But if he does end up with it at some point I don't think it will  be because he's the best player on the team, I think it will be because he's a natural leader, a different type leader than, say, Brindy, but a natural leader nonetheless.

Slavin

Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin all mentioned how much John Michael Liles helped them as they broke into the league. After games Liles was always the last skater off the ice, at the door tapping the rest of the team as they exited.  I noticed that Slavin assumed that routine after Liles left.  It's a small thing, but to me it indicates a player thinking about the rest of the team in addition to just himself.  And I'm pretty sure he's specifically said he wants to provide as much leadership as he can. 

• Like 1

Hi, guys.

Does anyone see the situation like that: times of J. Willie being our captain are gone even if he does come back?

If he comes back, for how long? 1 year and then thinking of retirement again? Max 2 years? So the team has to just postpone the decision of naming a new captain? Why?

Of course a certain candidate might prove himself to be the best during that time period and that seems to be the right thing to wait until Williams makes the final decision before taking that C away. These are possible reasons.

I would love him to come back to the team with the C on his jersey but I see this message from him as "Guys, sorry, I have to think more but you should move on, name a new captain and be ready to play without me... But I might be back to the team with a new leader but as a common player". Maybe it is captaincy that prevents him from coming back as he does not feel 100% ready to play?

Or I may be totally wrong... Sorry😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Hi, guys.

Does anyone see the situation like that: times of J. Willie being our captain are gone even if he does come back?

If he comes back, for how long? 1 year and then thinking of retirement again? Max 2 years? So the team has to just postpone the decision of naming a new captain? Why?

Of course a certain candidate might prove himself to be the best during that time period and that seems to be the right thing to wait until Williams makes the final decision before taking that C away. These are possible reasons.

I would love him to come back to the team with the C on his jersey but I see this message from him as "Guys, sorry, I have to think more but you should move on, name a new captain and be ready to play without me... But I might be back to the team with a new leader but as a common player". Maybe it is captaincy that prevents him from coming back as he does not feel 100% ready to play?

Don't apologize Ryzan, thats perfectly stated and thought out. And just as valid as any of our thoughts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Reposting my thoughts on Aho and Slavin less the potentially contentious bit in case the original gets deleted. :).

Aho:

I don't see Aho as ever being the rah-rah type. But I still remember him on the bench early in his rookie year mapping out something to Staal during a game.  That confidence and apparent insight from an 18yo kid brand new to the team screamed leadership to me at the  time.   And his statement from early last season after a reporter mentioned his improvement was something along the lines of "I've been working for 18 years to get better and I'm not done yet".  I also take the kid at his word when he says he signed the offer sheet because it was a way for him to cut through the process and make sure he could get back to focusing on hockey as quickly as possible. Compare that to all of the other high profile RFAs who are still unsigned and may not be on the ice when camp begins.  Aho will probably never be the "rah-rah" type, but the kid might well display the "leadership by example" traits that benefit a team in a different way. 

Having said all that, I don't think I'd saddle Aho with the C just yet.  But if he does end up with it at some point I don't think it will  be because he's the best player on the team, I think it will be because he's a natural leader, a different type leader than, say, Brindy, but a natural leader nonetheless.

Slavin

Slavin, Pesce, and Hanifin all mentioned how much John Michael Liles helped them as they broke into the league. After games Liles was always the last skater off the ice, at the door tapping the rest of the team as they exited.  I noticed that Slavin assumed that routine after Liles left.  It's a small thing, but to me it indicates a player thinking about the rest of the team in addition to just himself.  And I'm pretty sure he's specifically said he wants to provide as much leadership as he can. 

Slavin got my vote.

4 hours ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Hi, guys.

JW wont be back and I believe he has no desire for the team to hold his C just in case he comes back. He stated when he "stepped away" that the focus needs to be on the existing group.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cc said:

This does not belong here.  Same as Politics.  Disclaimer: Original post was not Spyglass88.

It's not the same as politics at all. That rule applies to us raising and discussing political issues. If a Cane came out and said something political, we could talk about WHETHER he should say it, and how his doing so impacted our opinion of him 'til the cows come home; the problem would come if we started taking sides on the issue itself.

Similarly, all Lake did was say that Slavin has gone there a bit as regards religion, and how, if he were to increase doing so, it would lose Lake's support of him as Captain. That's not discussing religion, it's stating that Slavin discussing it would affect the poster's support for him being captain. 

5 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "any degree of proselytizing,"

Proselytizing is attempting to convert others to one's own religion.

You know, like how Roddy tries to get guys to worship the training room :ohyeah:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's not the same as politics at all. That rule applies to us raising and discussing political issues. If a Cane came out and said something political, we could talk about WHETHER he should say it, and how his doing so impacted our opinion of him 'til the cows come home; the problem would come if we started taking sides on the issue itself.

Similarly, all Lake did was say that Slavin has gone there a bit as regards religion, and how, if he were to increase doing so, it would lose Lake's support of him as Captain. That's not discussing religion, it's stating that Slavin discussing it would affect the poster's support for him being captain. 

Thanks Top.  I agree with your take, but from my perspective I'd just as soon the whole issue die out without further discussion. It is a potential slippery slope, and to my mind one probably not worthy of the potential misunderstandings and subsequent emotions it might raise.  The fact that I brought it up is probably more a function of my overly analytical thought process (or so my ex wife says :P) than an issue that might actually effect the choice of captain.   

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

You know, like how Roddy tries to get guys to worship the training room :ohyeah:

I started typing that's some proselytizing I could get behind, lol, but even on that there is a need for balance.  It's possible to overtrain, and I'm sure the threshold varies by individual.  Maniacal training worked for Roddy, but I still suspect that Faulk was a lot quicker (and much better) last season because he cut down on his training last summer.  Or maybe he altered the type training he did, but you know what I mean.  Presumably Bill Burniston has the team dialed in for optimum results.

Speaking of which, Burniston hasn't been mentioned much on here but he might be due more credit for last years success than he's received.  We had a freakishly good year with respect to injuries, and I wonder how much of it was luck and how much of it was due to great physical conditioning. 

6 hours ago, RyazanCaniac said:

Hi, guys.

As others have mentioned, I think Willie is done with the C even if he comes back and regardless of what the Canes do with the letters now.  If he does come back I see him as a free mid to late season "rental".  Which could be great IF a 38yo player can get in game shape more or less on his own mid season.  Although, now that I think about it, he could do a short stint in Charlotte to get back in game shape, maybe even just playing home games.  Anyone know how long the train ride between Raleigh and Charlotte takes?

Will you get to see any of Kochetkov's games?  No idea what's televised over there, lol.  If so, keep us informed as to how he's doing.  Just looking at stats has it's limitations, especially when they're from a league we're not familiar with.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Speaking of which, Burniston hasn't been mentioned much on here but he might be due more credit for last years success than he's received.  We had a freakishly good year with respect to injuries, and I wonder how much of it was luck and how much of it was due to great physical conditioning. 

I think he absolutely deserves tons of credit for having the team in great shape.  And we have guys that work hard to begin with.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

5. RELIGION & POLITICS
Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed.

Yes, but "any degree of proselytizing" could mean that Slavin can't even offer a friendly invite to go church with him and his family. It's unfair to expect that of him.    

If Lake was saying that Slavin "has gone there a bit as regards religion" (your words, not mine), that's why I disagreed. My point was that since there is absolutely no evidence that Slavin has acted in an untoward fashion toward his teammates regarding his faith—and no indication whatsoever that he would do so if he were selected as captain—why even bring it up? It read like a subtle swipe against Slavin's faith.

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Thanks Top.  I agree with your take, but from my perspective I'd just as soon the whole issue die out without further discussion. It is a potential slippery slope, and to my mind one probably not worthy of the potential misunderstandings and subsequent emotions it might raise.  The fact that I brought it up is probably more a function of my overly analytical thought process (or so my ex wife says :P) than an issue that might actually effect the choice of captain.   

I wholeheartedly agree with you both—how Slavin conducts himself with his teammates is fair game for this board and we should let this particular issue die out. 😊

Edited by spyglass88

26 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Yes, but "any degree of proselytizing" could mean that Slavin can't even offer a friendly invite to go church with him and his family. It's unfair to expect that of him.    

If Lake was suggesting that Slavin "has gone there a bit as regards religion" (your words, not mine), then I disagree. My point was that since there is absolutely no evidence that Slavin has acted in an untoward fashion toward his teammates regarding his faith—and certainly no indication that he would do so if he were selected as captain—why even bring it up? It read like a subtle swipe against Slavin's faith.

I wholeheartedly agree with you both—how Slavin conducts himself with his teammates is fair game for this board and we should let this particular issue die out. 😊

Not meant as a subtle swipe against Slavin's faith.  And I specifically said his faith could be a positive attribute in a captain. It's all a matter of degree, imo.  I'll shoot you a pm as this is a pretty nuanced issue, difficult to accurately articulate.  I'm afraid that saying anything more here might prolong the topic, which I really don't want to do. 

Definitely ready for some hockey!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

5. RELIGION & POLITICS
Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed.

Again, the post was not religious in nature. It was discussing someone's concerns around a prospective Canes' captain's potential for discussing it.

Seems we're at an impasse, which is okay. I'm going to respect Lake's request to drop it and hope you will too.

1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

It's unfair to expect that of him. 

I don't think that's what Lake meant. I interpreted it as how he'd feel about Slavin using his increased exposure as Captain to proselytize in media interviews and public interactions, etc.

Edited by top-shelf-1
extraneous word

I think Lake regrets even saying anything and wants to drop it.  Let's get on board.

Personally, I can see Slavin as an alternate but no more of a C than Staal, who I hope is not chosen.  But, Brindy loves him some Jordan and it may just be official already.

Back to watching the blow develop.

10 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

I think Lake regrets even saying anything and wants to drop it.  Let's get on board.

I'm not a big fan of polls in the first place, but with that caveat stated, I'm inclined to agree. This one asks only two questions, who should be and who will be. It never asks why.

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Not meant as a subtle swipe against Slavin's faith.  And I specifically said his faith could be a positive attribute in a captain. It's all a matter of degree, imo.  I'll shoot you a pm as this is a pretty nuanced issue, difficult to accurately articulate.  I'm afraid that saying anything more here might prolong the topic, which I really don't want to do. 

Definitely ready for some hockey!

Lake and I had a nice pm conversation about all this. He's such a great guy that he's offered to buy me two season tickets just for listening 😂

Seriously, he is a great guy!

Now, back to hockey . . . . 

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Will you get to see any of Kochetkov's games?  No idea what's televised over there, lol.  If so, keep us informed as to how he's doing.  Just looking at stats has it's limitations, especially when they're from a league we're not familiar with.

I definitely will. What I've seen so far from games highlights (totally missed KHL's season start only to surprisingly find that Kochetkov is the starter for SKA!) are his impressive saves, quick moves, no bad rebounds and soft goals. He looks ready for KHL, at least highlights say that. But the team in front of him is very good. I hope to see a full game tonight and I will keep you posted.

Here's the update: KHL s*cks.

If anyone's interested, here's a link to the live game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sZXOHtDY3Q

I don't know if there might be some copyright problems, but it is only Youtube...

Kochetkov is in net, he stopped 14 shots in the 1st.

Edited by RyazanCaniac
KHL s*cks
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Personally, I can see Slavin as an alternate but no more of a C than Staal, who I hope is not chosen.  But, Brindy loves him some Jordan and it may just be official already.

That is exactly why my "who will be captain" was Jordan. 

I wouldn't mind if playoff Staal showed up all the time, but he's only made one appearance. I could get behind playoff Staal being captain, but honestly all it did was make me question where he's been the last 5 years.