The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Canes New Captain. Who will be? Who should be? NEW POLL

Canes New Captain: Will be, should be?  

43 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who WILL become the Canes Next Captain?

• Slavin
    • Aho
    • Staal
    • Martinook
    • Faulk
    • Pesce
    • No Captain, All Alternates: hold open
    • Other player
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Canes Captain?

I feel like it should be Slavin based on my limited knowledge.  

I feel far more strongly that whatever HCRB chooses to do will be the right choice and better than anything I come up with.

• Like 1

I gotta say I disagree with Slavin for the C, A certainly but to me he doesnt seem like he would confront a team mate when needed much like Staal. Well respected lead by example kinda guy. I think you guys are wrong about Aho. I dont think he would have a problem being in someone's face in a half second if they needed. I also think him signing with Habs was a calculated move to get him back with the Canes faster and it worked so I do t hold that against him for one second. My only concern would be the pressure of being the teams top scorer and C and one not taking away from the other.

I think he could handle it though. So for me its gotta be Aho.

1 hour ago, JonKerfoot said:

I don't know who this guy is... 😉

Maritinook

But I voted for him in the "should" anyway....

Do you really want to bust someone's, er, nuggets just because he misspelled Martianook? (I voted for him too :grin:)

martianook.jpg.1ff7ddb22275685b176fb0bae400321d.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

I think we go with 3 A’s til Willy makes a final decision.  If I had a choice based upon what I saw on the bench and the snippets from the locker room, I’d give the C to Nookie.

12 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

I think we go with 3 A’s til Willy makes a final decision.  If I had a choice based upon what I saw on the bench and the snippets from the locker room, I’d give the C to Nookie.

Please no.  3 A's is just cheesy.  I don't care if it's freaking Fleury, give us a freaking C.

• Like 2

So Brind'Amour said no decisions on Captains during or at least until near the end of camp. I guess that just means there's no obvious choice in his mind at this point? I guess in some ways it would be easier if Faulk is gone before they do it too. So this remains an open question.

35 votes is pretty good for us, but we'll keep it open for now. 

Interesting clear break in the "will be" and "should be". Clear win for Staal in the 'will' be, and close win for Slavin in "should be", with three at the top being Slavin-Martinook-Staal in the should category.

I am going with the Staal contingency in the "will" group. Brind'Amour just has so much good to say about Staal on and off the ice, that it's just hard to see it going elsewhere unless he doesn't want it. But that assumes that he wasn't an abject failure as co captain in the room. I'd go Slavin as the next one if Staal either doesn't want it or is just seen as not good in that role. I just think it's too soon for Aho, but that has been the trend in the NHL. 

But the should is so tough, not being in the room. I'd go Staal again I think, but Slavin right there too. I love Marty, but he seems to be more of a keep the guys loose supportive guy and hate to take him out of that role. Also, the trend in the NHL is for the Captain to be a major producer on the ice too. 

Lastly, really no love for Aho in either part of the poll. I suspect most would see him as the eventual Captain, but not yet. I would add that if I were handicapping this, the fact that no captain is named going into camp would raise  Aho's chances. He seems like a guy who might need to show leadership in William's absence, and the guys show that they are responding to him before he gets it.

Here is my take on each player in my opinion as captain for the canes  and some players  maybe over looked.  

Staal -  he is big , responsible in his own zone and exemplifies  the characteristic role  of someone to lead his men into battle .  He has shown some times moments that  help the canes win big time   .

Slavin -  He shows leadership in his own zone and character of someone who can  comfort a room or players on ice  with a stern voice . 

Nino -  He shows leadership on ice  offensively  during the season .  and  can show a tenacity that would drive people to aim for the same goals on and off the ice  with his nature . He could take on the mantle and it could run with out a skip .   Things have to be certain if he would be willing to embrace that role . 

Aho -  Young but effective and is a leader  on the score board  ,  When i honestly think of Aho  as a captain i get the feeling of someone  if he so happens to end up being a life long member of the canes as that of a young Finish  version of Steve Yzerman   .  If  my hunch is correct  that itself would only mean good things long term .

Teravainen -  A quite leader but leader in work ethic much like staal  but kinda overlooked .  He  can be the  presence  that keeps a team stable  but for how long  i kinda wonder . 

Martinook -  Just one of the boys to pick up  a room , energize a room and  be that voice to keep everyone level headed and calm right before the storm .   He  would be an interesting choice and unique take on the role as captain but  unlikely to be the score sheet leader to carry that mantel  , if but only he could though , it  be an amazing  sight . 

Svechnikov - Too young for now , maybe in about 10  years we could then see .  

I was at Chik-fil-A yesterday.  I was wearing a 5k T-shirt.

The counter server said, "Hey, whats up with Williams?  I want Slavin to be next Captain."

Just sayin'  The Chik-fil-A vote seems to be for Slavin.  :)

* PS, this was a weird conversation.  I didn't even know what he was talking about at first because I didn't realize what T-shirt I was wearing.

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

While I’d love the passion of a player like Martyman wearing the C, I don’t see us giving it to a guy who isn’t fairly high on the star range.

If Rutherfart were still sitting in the Canes office i'd say you're right, but this isn't your father's Oldsmobile.  Our current brass might actually have the guts to give the C to someone for leadership reasons rather than merchandise reasons.  I hope so, anyway.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, remkin said:

So Brind'Amour said no decisions on Captains during or at least until near the end of camp. I guess that just means there's no obvious choice in his mind at this point?

I think it means he knows how to milk maximum attention out of a press corps/fan base.

10 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

If Rutherfart were still sitting in the Canes office i'd say you're right, but this isn't your father's Oldsmobile.  Our current brass might actually have the guts to give the C to someone for leadership reasons rather than merchandise reasons.  I hope so, anyway.

Of course, if they do, they'll sell more Marty sweaters than would have even been thinkable without doing so.

I think Marty gets an A for sure, and would love it if McGinn got one too. Give Mr. calm, cool, and collected (Slavin) the C and have a couple of loose cannons backing him up.

Edited by top-shelf-1

In the "reading the tea leaves" department, Chip tweeted this picture. The number is still there. Literally like a place holder.

EE1kqURX4AAg2LJ.jpg

Those a ok choices, I just dont see anyone that would jump someone's *edit* if they need it in that group so I'm a little disappointed in that but all solid guys. I guess they will leave the *edit* chewing to Brindy.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

It is Jordan  Staal with the C. Just announced.

Slavin An A and Martinook

In the poll I voted Staal, Staal...so no problems here.

Last year we had 2 Justins and a Jordan.

This year we have 2 Jordans and a Jaccob.

Hey, if you hang around long enough, you have hope, Julien.

• Like 1