The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Canes New Captain. Who will be? Who should be? NEW POLL

Canes New Captain: Will be, should be?  

43 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who WILL become the Canes Next Captain?

• Slavin
    • Aho
    • Staal
    • Martinook
    • Faulk
    • Pesce
    • No Captain, All Alternates: hold open
    • Other player
  2. 2. Who SHOULD be the Canes Captain?

The board got this one right, both on the C, and sort of by extension the A's. There is no doubt that Brind'Amour feels Staal is of the highest quality both in how he plays and as a person. It will be interesting to see if that character can push through into clearer leadership from a mostly low spoken guy. It will probably help that he is not sharing the C with another person. It will also help that Brind'Amour has complete confidence in Staal. 

This is even harder to really opine on even than goalies, since we are removed from the room etc, but I think it will work. I think he has the respect of the coach and that of the team, and will end up being a good choice. 

I can't help but also think that Jordan suffered from the past where Eric was not only captain, not only had a massive contract, and not only had a full NTC, but got his brother here with all of that stuff too. It was probably never fair, but the golden boys running the kingdom was an image that maybe needed to be washed out. But making him share the C, then losing it entirely, it feels somehow more genuine or legitimate now. That's just one guy's take, maybe I'm making too much of it.

IMO Aho's signing the only signed RFA offer sheet, and being so young, made it too soon for him. I think some time as a good soldier has to pass before he gets an A, and possibly the C eventually. Depending on what happens with Staal, and Aho's next contract. 

The A's were then pretty obvious if Aho is taken out of the running. 

I like these choices. Just a guy on a board, but I like them. I also like this trend of having some sort of significant announcement or signing at the Caniac Carnival. It was crazy how many people were at that game.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

IMO Aho's signing the only signed RFA offer sheet, and being so young, made it too soon for him. I think some time as a good soldier has to pass before he gets an A, and possibly the C eventually. Depending on what happens with Staal, and Aho's next contract. 

I also think Aho's English may be a bit of a factor as well. When I compare Turbo to Aho it always seems tha Aho is still not comfortable enough with English yet. It could also be that he doesn't like interviews/talking much, but that also isn't a positive for a young captain.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 1:46 PM, bambamcanefan said:

IMHO - 

Staal gets the C

Slavin gets an A

Martinook gets an A

Aho is not ready.  Let him concentrate on his game, maybe someday, but he may not be leader material.  A lot of high paid players are not Captains for a reason, they are paid to get points, not lead.  There are only a few teams where the "best" player is the Captain.

I think RBA just read my post and said, yep, that sounds right. :coollaugh:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bambamcanefan said:

I think RBA just read my post and said, yep, that sounds right. :coollaugh:

You did make the right call though, and your reasoning was right on too. 

• Like 1