The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bambamcanefan

Newest Cane - Welcome Jake Gardiner

So much for Carolina being cheap. I guess that Aho offer sheet irked Tom "No Big Deal" Dundon so much that he's now flexing to prove a point. Great news for us fans!

• Like 1

Also, just watched a video about Gardiner on a popular hockeyLeafs channel (Andrew Piulik Hockey), and he talked about how good Gardiner was and that those bashing him are just jaded from a few bad moments because otherwise he has been good, and he puts up points. Also called him an elite skater. Did say there are defensive deficiencies at times.

Bizarre how I just watched this stuff last night and today...

If he stays, our blue line is stacked. Not seeing anything out there in the interwebs suggesting anything else that we’re up to, but we do have a logjam. The saga continues...

12 minutes ago, hag65 said:

I know it didn't happen this way but good article on why he would have been a good fit for Montreal.

https://awinninghabit.com/2019/09/06/montreal-canadiens-rumour-jake-gardiner/

Tells you a bit about him.   PP QB, good puck moving dman.  Might be a Faulker replacement.

"He is a terrific power play quarterback as he can gain the zone with control of the puck thanks to his speed and agility. He can then move the puck around the offensive zone with pinpoint passes."

I think we identified that we don't have a classic PP QB and Gardiner is one. Probably the biggest thing is his potential there. Not the only one.

Definitely did not see this one coming. Love that the committee is not predictable and never rests.

Seems like some other move has to happen even if just for cap relief.

In terms of style and role, to me this suggests Faulk might be the guy going out. But then how many times have we thought that?

This makes up for trading DeHaan in one move. If we don't move any D, our D is now better than last year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Guy can move the puck and make great passes.  Can he defend?

According to jaded Leafs fans, not in game 7s

My gracious, outside cleaning up after Dorian (we live in Sampson Co), and come in to this. WTH is going on? Some move has to be in the offing, although only have to be Cap compliant by the 1st day of the season. But who, not that I'm complaining about this as I've eyed him for a bit now, just didn't see how he'd fit? Waddell surely is full of surprises.

The only negative is supposedly he has had back issues previously and the reason some teams were staying away from him. There has been rumors that Gardiner had a handshake deal with a team for awhile now and it was dependent on clearing some cap. I have to wonder if part of the decision was based on JW's decision to come back or retire. In any event you have to think there is more to come based on us exceeding the cap. Hard to believe we are even discussing cap space based on us being in the cellar for years.

22 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Guy can move the puck and make great passes.  Can he defend?

As soon as I saw this signing I thought of you realm.

”...because, you know, offense.”

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that love the sound of "good power play quarterback". Certainly a need for this team, and he could be a great mentor for Bean if so? Surely screwed Toronto with this move.