The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bambamcanefan

Newest Cane - Welcome Jake Gardiner

Jake is a good move for us.  the leafs wanted a top line defender with Gardiner and isnt that.  He is puck mover that would look really good with Pesce at his side.  He will have a better fit for us here.

Putting him and Hamilton the 1PP will be awesome.  Gardiner is the set up type guy we can use on the point to get the PP going. 

17 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Just wanted to add that love the sound of "good power play quarterback". Certainly a need for this team, and he could be a great mentor for Bean if so? 

I really think the committee identified 3 problems with the PP and has now taken definitive personnel steps to fix all three with Haula (playmaking), Dzingel (shot/sniper) and now Gardiner (QB) (and even Priskie). 

• Like 1

One thing's for sure, unless there are other moves to be made, we won't have to worry about seeing Fleury get 8 minutes or whatever it was of ice time last season.

16 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Holy ****, for 4 mil AAV, that's a downright bargain.  The Committee does it again.  Can't wait to see the next shoe to drop.

A down right steal. The man is also a very adequate Dman contrary to what some Leafs fans may argue. Gards average 21:13 in ice time last year, can guide the PP and also served on PK. He's not a scorer but a very good set up man. Just a little tidbit, Gards came in sixth during the Calder voting his rookie year...one slot ahead of our own Justin Faulk.

• Like 1

We may not be quite as physical as last year, but this team will play fast with anyone, and I mean anyone. We have fast skaters, fast puck movers, and skilled at speed skaters from back to front. I'd still rather have Williams, but if it ends up being Necas in for Williams this will be even more true because that guy is skill at speed. We were pretty fast last year, but this year, the puck will move fast and the players will move fast, (probably even on the PP for once).

I know everybody is always chasing last year's winning strategy, and St Louis isn't lighting, but overall speed (puck and people) is still a pretty good cup strategy and I can't wait to see it.

2 hours ago, Bing_Chow said:

So much for Carolina being cheap. I guess that Aho offer sheet irked Tom "No Big Deal" Dundon so much that he's now flexing to prove a point. Great news for us fans!

I don't think that at all. I think they targeted him the minute they knew Willy was waffling. There's a new sheriff in the owner's office, and lets his wallet do the talkin'.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Gardiner doesn't penalty kill so RB will have to figure that out. 

Slavin Pesce TT Aho. For the full two minutes 😁

• Like 1

I’m not anxious to see what’s next, because it will likely be a cap move.

Also, people were also saying that Gardiner wouldn’t be happy in a bottom pairing role, but that’s where he sits right now.

One more thing, the Leafs guy said Gardiner is better than Tyler Myers, and he got 6 million per iirc. Gardiner does seem like a bargain as long as he plays D. I’ve seen him play quite a bit, and offensively he has the goods, defensively...

I think a change in scenery will be good for Jake, and he seems like a good locker room guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up really liking it here. I wonder if he knows Dzingel who called this area a hidden gem.

8 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I’m not anxious to see what’s next, because it will likely be a cap move.

Also, people were also saying that Gardiner wouldn’t be happy in a bottom pairing role, but that’s where he sits right now.

One more thing, the Leafs guy said Gardiner is better than Tyler Myers, and he got 6 million per iirc. Gardiner does seem like a bargain as long as he plays D. I’ve seen him play quite a bit, and offensively he has the goods, defensively...

I think a change in scenery will be good for Jake, and he seems like a good locker room guy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up really liking it here. I wonder if he knows Dzingel who called this area a hidden gem.

Sounds like Gardiner could be the guy on the O side that Faulk was before his last injury, and hasn't been for the three years since--i.e., the QB who backpedals at the blue line to open shooting lanes, and gets his shots on net, for tips, rebound conversions, or clean rockets that find the twine. I miss that Justin.

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Gardiner doesn't penalty kill so RB will have to figure that out. 

Correct. Gardiner spent very limited time on the PK. I guess this writer was incorrect or felt that he could contribute to the PK.  https://cardiaccane.com/2019/07/08/carolina-hurricanes-case-acquiring-jake-gardiner/

• Like 1

I think we’re going to hear a lot of different viewpoints and angles about Jake. This is a solid move in general. I’m hesitant to over-analyze the matter until we see how he fits into our system.  As some folks have mentioned, I think a change in venue might be just what the doctor ordered for him. That bodes well in one thing that you can’t coach: motivation and fire.

Edited by surfzone365

Could they possibly dump Reimer for prospects and or picks. Keep Faulk and have one hell of a D with Faulk and Fluery on the bottom pair until TVR is back. Then figure out who to trade or send down when he is back. 

5 hours ago, bambamcanefan said:

Hm. Guess this means McKeown should seek his fortunes elsewhere. Are he and Maenalainen still not signed? Guess they won't get deals with the mothership, at the least.