The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bambamcanefan

Newest Cane - Welcome Jake Gardiner

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

I suspect The Committee wants big draft picks.  Not sure they'll get them.

I think if we give both Fleury and Faulk, an NHL-ready pair, we get our choice of a top prospect and a low pick or a first and middling prospect. Faulk alone probably brings a second and a Pu at most.

28 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Does anyone think Priskie would have signed here had we already signed Gardiner?

He would of still Signed .  Given his comments about the Canes  ,  It was all leaning towards not so much of being rushed out the door like the rangers are going to be doing with Fox or Makar for the Aves but  more of a Time table to earn his spot rather than given a spot .   I like that about Priskie  and with that kind of attitude  there is no doubt he will go far  in development  down in charlotte   for the next couple of years .   

Keep in mind  The Canes staff knew  what they were getting before inking to paper  with  any of the players   be it  from the draft or  trade or free agency .   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

When the $1,554,791 was mentioned Lake, that's who came to my mind, but even at that, and we are compliant on Day 1 of the season, he has to come off some time, so how is that adjudicated when we would then slide over? So, a trade has to be made.

Plus there's the chance that CapFriendly is missing something; maybe they never took DeHaan's LTIR out of the equation.

3 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

CapFriendly projects us to have $1.5M in long term injury relief.  Who is that for?  Our cap hit is also based on 24 man roster.  Roster size limit is 23 so somebody has to get sent down.  Our lowest salaried player makes $650k so combining those moves, we may not have to make a trade to get under the cap.

PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $1,554,791

It's an artificial construct.

If you look at the numbers, with Gardiner's salary figured in, the Hurricanes are at $83,054,791. If you subtract $81,500,000 from that, you get the $1,554,791 number.

I think what CapFriendly is saying is something like "if the Hurricanes can find $1,554,791 in long-term IR relief, they'll be under the cap with no other moves."

11 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Jesus, Gardiner.

(just rehearsing...)

I can live with some mistakes as long as the puck doesn't jump his stick at the blue line while on the PP.

7 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I actully see McKeown getting in before Bean, who only has one year in the A. McKeown has three and has earned his shot. I like Fleury a bunch, but Roddy (apparently) doesn't, which is why I see him being dealt. Put him with Faulk and the trading partner immediately has a pairing.

Time will tell, and like you, I'm not too concerned. Most important is we'll have two solid top pairings and the NHL experience, among those four and TVR, to bring Forsling, McKeown, Bean, and/or Priskie up to NHL speed.

Personally I thought Fleury did a more than adequate job with his limited play time last year. He seemed to make fewer mistakes and seemed to use the body more. He's still young and has more potential. The org may not see it that way but not sure what we get for him unless he is packaged with another player. If we can get something decent for Faulk,the time to move him is now. I have read that there have been a few discussions with him regarding an extension and it appears they aren't close to an agreement. Get something while we can before we lose him fo nada.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Personally I thought Fleury did a more than adequate job with his limited play time last year. He seemed to make fewer mistakes and seemed to use the body more. He's still young and has more potential. The org may not see it that way but not sure what we get for him unless he is packaged with another player. If we can get something decent for Faulk,the time to move him is now. I have read that there have been a few discussions with him regarding an extension and it appears they aren't close to an agreement. Get something while we can before we lose him fo nada.

The joys of a NTC NMC  contract .  We can All Thank Jimmy Rutherford  , the Gift that keeps on giving ! 

He took a pay bump coming here when you factor in currency and cost of living.  The guy has a little one and this area is top notch for raising little ones so I am sure that factored into his decision as well.

Let's not try to fluff this.  As of right now, this is the most marketable the team has ever been.  I would wager to say we are more popular now than when we won the cup.  This place is becoming a destination for players when they say what is happening here and want to be part of it.

From my understanding, Jake was expected to be a top 2 dman in Toronto and was criticized heavily for it.  Here he will be behind Slavin,  Hamilton, and Pesce.  God forbid we trade any of those 3.  Faulk will be the guy on the way out unless something super fancy happens with waivers. 

This has shaped up to be the best off season that I have ever seen and I have been with this team since Greensboro.  I'm excited to see what our PP can now do since we now have a blue liner that can actually make passes 

6 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

Here's a list of NTC/NMC for last season.  The Canes are right about where every team is.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses

Thanks super_dave, I had wondered where to find that. As an aside, when there are X teams that a player has indicated he doesn't want to be traded to, is he at liberty to change those annually, or are they permanent? Just curious?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Thanks super_dave, I had wondered where to find that. As an aside, when there are X teams that a player has indicated he doesn't want to be traded to, is he at liberty to change those annually, or are they permanent? Just curious?

Good question  ! 

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

I believe someone mentioned Faulk's list gets submitted annually. Around July 1st if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

With half of them coming from a GM who's been gone for 5 years.

He wasn't the one to give Darling a NTC.  This is a long beaten down subject, but the Canes aren't any more guilty than the rest of the league

5 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

He wasn't the one to give Darling a NTC.  This is a long beaten down subject, but the Canes aren't any more guilty than the rest of the league

Even less guilty than most by now.  Time and Pu have whittled down many of them.

25 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

I believe someone mentioned Faulk's list gets submitted annually. Around July 1st if I remember correctly.

I'm almost positive that's the case.  And if a trade is available with a team that's not on the list, Faulk could of course waive.  With Skinner's full NTC he had complete control.  But given that Faulk knows that he can only rule out half the league and therefore will be traded if the Canes so desire, he might not be as inflexible as Skinner was. 

Edited by LakeLivin

14 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Personally I thought Fleury did a more than adequate job with his limited play time last year. He seemed to make fewer mistakes and seemed to use the body more. He's still young and has more potential. The org may not see it that way but not sure what we get for him unless he is packaged with another player.

I agree, and was frankly surprised when RBA seemed to penalize him with fewer minutes. He takes the body frequently, his head goes up the minute he has the puck on his stick, and he knows when to pinch.

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Here's a list of NTC/NMC for last season.  The Canes are right about where every team is.

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses

That is in part because the committee hasn't handed them out. Skinner took his with him. Overall we're in much better shape than we were in the past I think. Unfortunately the key guy has a limited one. That said, it is way better than a full NTC. He can't hem us in the way Staal, Whitney, Skinner did.

• Like 1

One thought on Gardiner. The general belief is that his back injury is by far the biggest reason he was available, especially to a team willing to go 4 years. I think we were able to take this chance for two reasons. 1. Our incredible D prospect depth. 2. Cap management. 

Cap Management: next year Marleau comes off and we flip that to futures and a first round pick. We have no huge names to sign next year. Haula, if there's intrest, Faulk, if he stays, then Fleury and Foegele RFAs. The year after that, we get $2.3 million off from the buyout of HWSNBN, AND the cap will bump up seriously by all expectations. We will need to RFA Svech, but should have room.

So, if Gardiner ends up with intermittent back problems, we have guys to fill in. If they become more serious we have cap space, and ultimately LTIR. 

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

The problem isn't using them, it's who they get used on, which JR has a demonstrated inability to grasp, and which he passed on to RF (who signed Darling). JR has rolled merrily down the same path in Pittsburgh. Besides the only two (and a half) guys on the team deserving of them (Crosby and Malkin and maybe Letang, none of whom JR inked), three more, all questionable and all of whom JR did sign, have either NMCs, NTCs or modified NTCs. His latest? Brandon Tanev, a 27 year old with 24 career NHL goals, who JR gave a six-year deal at 3.5 million per and a modified NTC this summer.

Edited by top-shelf-1
added info

49 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm almost positive that's the case. 

It is. Also, Faulk must submit his list annually prior to July 1. If he doesn't, he effectively forfeits control over where he is moved.