The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The New Poll

Willie or Won't He? The new poll.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will Justin Williams make a return to the ice this year?

• Yes
    • No

So, Justin Williams stymied our poll by saying "Maybe".  OK, we adapt. New poll is basically this. Is he really done, or will he make a return at some point this year? There are a couple of obvious gaps in the schedule for an early return or a late-mid return, but heck, he could return at any point.

We'll get what votes we get and lock this down. Then we'll have to wait and see. 

I think it depends on how the team does without him.  If they hit the ground running, jump off to a great start, and have a great season, i think he returns to sound the siren and visit John and Tripp in the booth.  If they struggle out of the gate and hit Thanksgiving like they hit Thanksgiving last season, i think he returns to the ice.

Nah...he’s done.  Even if he wanted to come back later, I think us against the cap prevents that.

If he keeps up his fitness, and if we have certain players get a severe injury that puts them on LTIR, I could see a return.

Is he going to keep up the nutrition and exercise needed to have his body in playing shape...just in case?  I don't see it.  I think once you start seriously thinking about retirement, you are done.  It is always in your mind. 

• Like 1

It's just such a weird stance for Williams to take. Maybe he's just psychologically easing himself into retirement. But he, and the team are so blatantly leaving the door open that I have to think he's at least toying with the idea of just needing a longer offseason then coming back more rested, with a shorter season. I'm really torn on this one.

I agree that keeping himself in near game shape is issue one in terms of a return. I think that issue two will be what happens with the guys currently playing the game. If they get out to a fast start, and don't have injuries, then it's hard to see a return. It would just be disruptive. If they struggle, or even go average, and there's a key long term injury, or if say they go with Necas and he doesn't get it done, then Williams could be a big shot in the arm on the ice.

If the team is doing well, and has established a new leadership structure, and all forwards are contributing though, then someone gets pushed out, and having that happen during the season, so Williams can have an extended off season, could end up leading to resentment. Brind'amour clearly is like a brother to Williams though, so how would he not still want him back? 

I think that the door would be open if there is a long term injury, and if Williams stays in shape, and especially if the team struggles. Otherwise the weird disruption in leadership and punting a guy out of his role, might mess with the chemistry, which has been a big part of our success. 

As to how to vote? That's a tough one. It's a long season, and he did leave the door pretty open. 

I don't think he is the selfish type.  So there is no reason to leave the door open unless you intend to walk through it.

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Is he going to keep up the nutrition and exercise needed to have his body in playing shape...just in case?  I don't see it.  I think once you start seriously thinking about retirement, you are done.  It is always in your mind. 

Im done then.  LOL  That explains my lack of playing shape.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Well I know from myself, I'd be sunk.  I retired last year, and the bosses suggested maybe I could come back for a fill in this year if someone "goes on the IR" (figuratively speaking).

Problem is if they call me I have to say no.  I haven't done squat to keep up my professional skills. 

So, yeah, good point.  It is a big "IF" about the fitness.  And even if he stays fit, how do you insert yourself into the speed of the NHL, etc.

Edited by wxray1

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Well I know from myself, I'd be sunk.  I retired last year, and the bosses suggested maybe I could come back for a fill in this year if someone "goes on the IR" (figuratively speaking).

Problem is if they call me I have to say no.  I haven't done squat to keep up my professional skills. 

So, yeah, good point.  It is a big "IF" about the fitness.  And even if he stays fit, how do you insert yourself into the speed of the NHL, etc.

Conditioning stint in Charlotte?  (maybe playing only Checkers home games?)

Which doesn't take away from how much work the fitness would be  . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

I think last year Nylander proved that it is impossible to practice away from a team first half of season and then be productive playing with the team in the second half. And it is not only due to conditioning and getting up to speed (and there is almost no way to simulate game speed and intensity when practicing on your own). This is more to the process of gelling inside the team and adjusting to a playing style of your teammates and combination provided by coaching stuff.

We do not have many new players compared to last season but with acquisition of Gardiner and possible trade of Faulk we may see changes in our PP units. And without attending team practices there is no way to get familiar with possibly changed PP strategy.

7 hours ago, hag65 said:

I don't think he is the selfish type.  So there is no reason to leave the door open unless you intend to walk through it.

I don't think he's being selfish.  I just think he wants to hold on and can't admit that he's done. Intent is different from reality.  Father Time is batting 1.000.  He may want to possibly come back, but will he put in the effort to stay in that kind of condition?  All I know is that I'm retirement eligible next Feb (159 days to be exact).  I don't plan on going then, but I think about it every day.  Once retirement gets a toe hold in your mind, it has a strong pull.

• Like 2

He said from the beginning that if he wasn't able to give it 100%, he wasn't going to play.  Taking time off doesn't sound like total commitment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't think he's being selfish.  I just think he wants to hold on and can't admit that he's done. Intent is different from reality.  Father Time is batting 1.000.  He may want to possibly come back, but will he put in the effort to stay in that kind of condition?  All I know is that I'm retirement eligible next Feb (159 days to be exact).  I don't plan on going then, but I think about it every day.  Once retirement gets a toe hold in your mind, it has a strong pull.

SD, I'm several years past the milestone you're coming up on.  And yes, leading up to mine, dwelled on the idea waaaaaay ahead of the event.

There are a couple of uplifting events: the day you announce retirement and then the day it happens.  The weight on your shoulders lifts.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

maybe playing only Checkers home games?

Hells no... away games. If he can't handle a week or two playing and riding the bus in the A, he won't last one game in The Show.

In the land of Speculationville, I would think IF the Canes trade Faulk and IF they get Ondrej Kase back, that is another spot filled and would make the forward ranks even tighter for a guy like Williams, and even a possible hint that the team is moving on.

I'd think it would move any Willy comeback from the status of "later strategic addition" to "insurance policy" in case injuries hit hard.

Edited by LakeLivin

Must say by now, I'm pretty much stunned, but with no return during preseason, I reluctantly admit that I'm doubtful Willie returns AS A PLAYER. I just don't see him as a mid-season return, and even if he's been hiding out in some basement, skating on his own, it'd probably take a month or so to get back the chemistry? So long Mr Game 7. 

On 9/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, super_dave_1 said:

I just think he wants to hold on and can't admit that he's done. Intent is different from reality.

I agree. But for the bottomless ego, which I don't see in Willy at all, this feels a lot like Steve Carlton syndrome. Glad Willy has the good sense not to embarrass himself like Lefty did in the end.

I'm still not guessing whether he'll be back, but this whole episode has told us this much: he won't even try it if he isn't 100 sure he not only can play, but wants to.

I think the only way he comes back is if a roster spot opens up midseason. Solid euphemism for something I don't wanna jinx.

Even with things looking up with a record of 6-1, I surely hope JW is not packing away his gear up in the attic.  This team is going to need his grit and determination if it wants to go places if and when they make the playoffs.  I would say enjoy the next 6 weeks off, start skating around Dec 1, and start playing at the New Year.  We need you.

3 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Even with things looking up with a record of 6-1, I surely hope JW is not packing away his gear up in the attic.  This team is going to need his grit and determination if it wants to go places if and when they make the playoffs.  I would say enjoy the next 6 weeks off, start skating around Dec 1, and start playing at the New Year.  We need you.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.