The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
remkin

Willie or Won't He: The New Poll

Willie or Won't He? The new poll.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Will Justin Williams make a return to the ice this year?

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Even with things looking up with a record of 6-1, I surely hope JW is not packing away his gear up in the attic.  This team is going to need his grit and determination if it wants to go places if and when they make the playoffs.  I would say enjoy the next 6 weeks off, start skating around Dec 1, and start playing at the New Year.  We need you.

Having JW on the right side of Staal’s would be great.  He would offer a right handed face off person that we need. The choosing the dot rule will make it tougher on us as we go on.  Leadership is obvious.  I would love him to come back but there are options at the deadline.

I will say this. J Williams would ultimately slot in for McGinn. I like McGinn. I've been calling his NHL career since I saw him skate as a prospect the first time. He's brings physical, he's an NHL player. But he's a marginal top 9 forward IMO. J Williams essentially slotting in for McGinn would, at least on paper, make us one of the deepest teams, well in a long time. Now that Necas is showing his top 6 chops. 

Aho, Teravainen, Svech, Staal, Dzingel, Haula, Nino, Necas, J Williams. 

If Williams returns to form, then that top 9 has 50 point or better players from top to bottom. That is singularly insane depth. I don't even have to look, no NHL team could match that. 

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

We agree on that.  I don't have any confidence that this team, as it is constructed right now, would win a playoff round.  Hey, Tampa couldn't even get out of the 1st round last year and they won a gazillion games in the regular season.  They have lost several physical players, and have added one (Edmundson).  Getting JW back would be a G-d send in that regard.  Too many players to get pushed around in the playoffs, such as Necas, Aho, TT, etc., which are 100% more physical than the regular season, with not enough currently to push back.

Lot of time to sort that out, but adding JW would be the first step.

• Like 1