The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

Necas didn’t make his case whatsoever. Not a good night.

That was one of the worst games I’ve ever seen by a player regarding Cleason. Just awful in every way.

The important thing is that McGinn and Wallmark looked ready for the season to start and Gardiner and Reimer were fine. Man, I wish Wallmark could skate.

Bean was our best defenseman (except when he got rag-dolled going into the corner which lead to a chance).  Still, Bean was noticeable in a good way, and he was really moving the puck well and walking the line/being mobile in the offensive zone which created chances/looks and lead to a goal. 

Fleury still shows more to me than McKeown, and made some notable plays/clears. He was more physical as he said he would be. McKeown got beat a few times, badly off the boards one time which lead to a good scoring chance. I’ve always been in McKeown’s corner but he didn’t show anything. He looked a step behind/like the game was too fast for him.

Eetu, Geekie, Suzuki, Shinkaruk, Gibbons, Maritek, etc. all pretty much invisible. Kouk had the one goal but was otherwise bad/floating.

I don’t think either team played well, Cleason was the difference.

My take. Given how listless and overall AHL'ish we looked, pretty good to have made it 3-2. 

Reimer was solid. No, no highlight saves, but solid. Flukey goal. While it was nothing great, it's still the most important thing from this game.

Gauthier made things happen again. Necas had moments, and made some nice plays, but has not connected his skill with results yet. Honestly though, it's tough in a slogfest like this one. If I'm scoring it like a fight, Gauthier has 3 rounds in all three games he's played, Necas none. Goat's momentum is building. He was the most clearly good thing in this game.

Fleury was not sharp early. He got better as the game went on, but he needs to be better. Also, stupid penalty in the third. Just dumb slash. No advantage gained. Fleury might be in trouble if any of the other D men did anything of note. Well, I guess Claesson did. Can't help make this point though: Faulk did the exact same thing last game, but his gaffes didn't end up in the net, and we won, so no biggie.  Still, Claesson is trying to make the team, and did not help himself. 

Bean? Good and bad. He did get his shot through on Kuok's goal, but I disagree on who gets most of the credit. It was very slick hand-eye by Kuok, and Bean missed the net. I think Bean has a lot of potential, but will go back to Charlotte. He's better than last year, but not going to beat Fleury out. 

Some yutes were by really not ready for even this "near NHL" preseason game. I'm not going to call out names, but this was a sloppy, tentative effort by most yutes. Necas showed potential, but really Gauthier was about the only thing that stood out to me. Pretty soon I'm going to have to tilt from Necas to Gauthier for odds on makes the team.

Oh, and I can't remember exactly when cuts are usually made, but I would imagine a slew of them coming soon.

Coach wasn't happy ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Coach wasn't happy ..

The Checkers training camp begins on Tuesday, and the Canes do not have another pre season game until Wednesday, so I predict a bevy of cuts before Tuesday.  Looking at the roster, it is easy to make about 15 cuts right off the bat, which would reduce the Canes camp to 32.

Having lost JW to "semi-retirement", Julien Gauthier makes so much sense as next man up.  While Necas might be the sexy choice, he is not going to replace, on the ice, what the team has lost in JW.  It is good when a prospect senses an opening and grabs it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Props to Rod for not sugarcoating it like previous coaches 

He has been like that his whole Canes career. Freshing to say the least. I bet in the locker room guys love it. No questions on where you stand with him

48 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

He has been like that his whole Canes career. Freshing to say the least. I bet in the locker room guys love it. No questions on where you stand with him

Kirk was too busy fluffing his hair...and Bill had water to sell.

With only 3 pre-season games remaining I'd only give the bubble players one more game to show something. I prefer to see our starting lineup to play the last two games to see if they can get some mojo prior to 10/3.  Not looking good for Necas IMO. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

With only 3 pre-season games remaining I'd only give the bubble players one more game to show something. I prefer to see our starting lineup to play the last two games to see if they can get some mojo prior to 10/3.  Not looking good for Necas IMO. 

Agree.  Nashville, who the Canes face-off with on Wednesday, cut 21 players today, for example.  I thought the Canes play 7 preseason games (though I am too lazy to look).  Are you saying there are only 6?

Im sold on Gauthier . I really liked what i saw from him  last season with the checkers and  he knows he has to play that power forward  style  to make the team and well he is doing exactly that !  Good on him ! 

Reimer is sort of a surprise in a good way  , crossing fingers ,   But from what i have seen , it seems like Mrazek is still our number 1 go to goalie for the moment  , and slightly behind is Reimer ,  Nedeljkovic  is solid when he is on .  but there are those times he will make you throw your remote  across the  room.  

Faulk needs to be traded  like yesterday pronto !   The longer  he sticks around the longer I can see this become a problem for the canes  .   Question, are we seriously trying to hit up dalas for Honka ? WHY ? 

43 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im sold on Gauthier . I really liked what i saw from him  last season with the checkers and  he knows he has to play that power forward  style  to make the team and well he is doing exactly that !  Good on him ! 

Reimer is sort of a surprise in a good way  , crossing fingers ,   But from what i have seen , it seems like Mrazek is still our number 1 go to goalie for the moment  , and slightly behind is Reimer ,  Nedeljkovic  is solid when he is on .  but there are those times he will make you throw your remote  across the  room.  

Faulk needs to be traded  like yesterday pronto !   The longer  he sticks around the longer I can see this become a problem for the canes  .   Question, are we seriously trying to hit up dalas for Honka ? WHY ? 

Faulk has done and said nothing but the right things. His team mates seem to like him. The only problem is the cap and yes they have to get that resolved asap so they dont lose young talent. I think you fell he is being a problem and there is zero saying that he is. Until someone proves me wrong I believe what they say and he has said he likes it here and wants to stay, now he also wants to get paid which is his right but I dont think him being here is hurting the team (again besides the cap issue) in any way shape or form.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Agree.  Nashville, who the Canes face-off with on Wednesday, cut 21 players today, for example.  I thought the Canes play 7 preseason games (though I am too lazy to look).  Are you saying there are only 6?

I believe the scheduled only showed 3 more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Props to Rod for not sugarcoating it like previous coaches 

I agree, but previous coaches were also dealing with an org that wasn't exactly finding top prospects. When you've got guys who are supposed to be all that and aren't asserting themselves, you have to challenge them. When you've got guys who were never likely to make, let alone last in, the NHL, challenging them is like asking a soda machine to dispense coffee.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Last report I saw on Faulk was that the Kings have an interst.  

I'm glad somebody does. That said, he wouldn't waive for their cross-town rivals... because who wants to live in the land of eternal sun, legal weed, and incredible scenery? (Okay, and earthquakes.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm glad somebody does. That said, he wouldn't waive for their cross-town rivals... because who wants to live in the land of eternal sun, legal weed, and incredible scenery? (Okay, and earthquakes.)

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-la-kings-and-carolina-working-on.html?fbclid=IwAR2fVoS7eL83c1QWfxXurET3W5rPR4aRTQ97iYF_AxNLQcoAj-y5S6sHck8&m=1. Forbort has been hurt all spring with a bad back. The RW has only played 15 nhl games but is 21 years old. Basically a first round pick and cap dump.

Edited by slapshot02

58 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Faulk has done and said nothing but the right things. His team mates seem to like him. The only problem is the cap and yes they have to get that resolved asap so they dont lose young talent. I think you fell he is being a problem and there is zero saying that he is. Until someone proves me wrong I believe what they say and he has said he likes it here and wants to stay, now he also wants to get paid which is his right but I dont think him being here is hurting the team (again besides the cap issue) in any way shape or form.

Right on, derailed.  Faulk has not caused a problem.  He signed a contract to play and he's doing just that.  And that contract, signed by both parties, included the list of teams he didn't want to go to.  If there's a problem, it's with management.  They are the ones who got the org into this "situation", not Faulk.  I'm totally bummed out by all those who blame him for nothing he did and want to see him traded.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-la-kings-and-carolina-working-on.html?fbclid=IwAR2fVoS7eL83c1QWfxXurET3W5rPR4aRTQ97iYF_AxNLQcoAj-y5S6sHck8&m=1. Forbort has been hurt all spring with a bad back. The RW has only played 15 nhl games but is 21 years old. Basically a first round pick and cap dump.

"The latest offer from the Kings included LA's first round pick next draft along with Swedish forward Carl Grundstrom and LHD Derek Forbort."

I would be all over this. I don't know anything about Grundstrom. A late second rounder with decent AHL and SHL numbers. And we really don't need more D men.

BUT, assuming that this is their pick straight up (NOT freaking "lottery protected"), this could be a dream pick. LA finished #30 last year, and is widely projected to finish around there next year too. I've long dreamt of the situation Colorado was in this past year, having a lottery type pick from someone else. Not only having our own pick, but having one in the top. This is how a team can be dominant for a long, long time. Get to be good, and still get a super high pick.

We could even trade one of our other picks for an asset. Say a goalie if we needed it, and still have a top pick and a later pick in the first round. 

I'd rather have Kase, because he gives us pop now, and there is no guarantee LA stinks again. But picking in the top 5, and possibly top 3 in next year's draft is a shot at another super-elite player. And then having two more first rounders in that same deep draft? And then two second rounders? 

Wow. Pull that trigger.

• Like 3