The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

Gibbons was really overmatched last game, Wood and Lintuniemi? They played? McKeown...does he have to clear waivers? And I guess those two turnovers for goals did end up hurting Claesson. 

I think they could lose McKeown, but you never know;  so many teams are in a similar position, wending down players.  That said, at least one team is going to be able to play him at the NHL level, so probably going to lose him.  They still have Priskie from the right side.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

Canes made some cuts today:

F Brian Gibbons
D Kyle Wood
D Alex Lintuniemi
D Roland McKeown
D Fredrik Claesson

Bummer.  Granted i haven't been able to watch much of camp this season, based on what i've seen the past 2 seasons i still put McKeown ahead of Fleury, Bean, and Sellgren on the depth chart.  But then that's why i'm just a guy in the stands and not part of the committee.  Hope he doesn't get claimed on waivers but i don't see him clearing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beboplar said:

Don't I know.  I built Rose Parade floats for 3 years and drove 2 in the parades of 1979 and 1980.

Somehow I don't see any King having trouble getting to games.

56 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Bummer.  Granted i haven't been able to watch much of camp this season, based on what i've seen the past 2 seasons i still put McKeown ahead of Fleury, Bean, and Sellgren on the depth chart.  But then that's why i'm just a guy in the stands and not part of the committee.  Hope he doesn't get claimed on waivers but i don't see him clearing.

Yeah, super-bummed about McKeown. Maybe Minny will pick him up and we'll send them Faulk to get him back?

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

think they could lose McKeown, but you never know;  s

Thought I'd read somewhere that there might be some type of unverbalized Code of Ethics regarding these early players sent down, that they might not be claimed? Of course, that might not be honored for this team or our rogue owner?

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Has anyone seen anything official from the team on these cuts?

From CapFriendly: (click on the image to enlarge it a bit)

169312658_Canestransactions.thumb.JPG.35493f3d4f7c04f2fb5fdfc6c61e587a.JPG

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

This is the second year in a row that McKeown has been an early cut after impressive AHL performance. There must be something about his game that doesn't project well.

Either that cc, or where he does project in our lineup is already occupied, thus rather than waste him down on the lower minute lines, they prefer to return to Charlotte. This reasoning (mine) though doesn't make much sense, in that we will risk sending him down rather than keeping and putting him into a place unsuited to his talent? 

18 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Either that cc, or where he does project in our lineup is already occupied, thus rather than waste him down on the lower minute lines, they prefer to return to Charlotte. This reasoning (mine) though doesn't make much sense, in that we will risk sending him down rather than keeping and putting him into a place unsuited to his talent? 

I was just thinking that if he was really on the radar, he would be one of the prospects that played in the next game before RB skates his real lineup for the last games.

McKeown has played well enough in the AHL to deserve a look but maybe not well enough in pre-season to get the chance, at least with us. I think Bean has now passed him on the depth chart and we appear to be grooming him for a chance to crack the lineup in the near future.  On the right side you have Hamilton,Pesce,Faulk, TVR, and Bean ahead of him. Faulk could get traded, TVR is a steady and proven bottom pair Dman, Pesce,  well he is a quality Dman who seems to be getting better all the time, and Bean is projected on the strength of a all around game to be nearly NHL ready. That's a lot of bodies to jump.

If McKeown clears waivers and it isn't certain he will I would expect he might be a trade candidate. If he clear waivers and he skates in the A it is nice to have another Dman who can fill in at the NHL level. If we were a rebuilding team I suspect he would of gotten a shot but we aren't a rebuilding team anymore. We are cap team, a playoff team and cracking our lineup should be tough.

Yeah, I agree it will be interesting to see if someone claims McKeown. They have to put him on their roster, they can't send him down. He has 10 NHL games, all two years ago. I'm sure some teams are looking at our depth and if they are short D men, might take him, but again, they have to keep in on their NHL roster or lose him. 

I'll say this. To my eye in limited play, Bean has more upside, but is also less steady. Right now, it would seem that we are looking for a bottom pair, and steady should win over upside (but less steady). Also, does Bean have to clear? I thought he didn't. 

My guess is that we really have just too much D, and we think we can slip McKeown through waivers.

No Faulk at the scrimmage and Civian is making quite a few Ehler's jokes today. Can't tell if extreme sarcasm or she actually knows something though lol.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

No Faulk at the scrimmage and Civian is making quite a few Ehler's jokes today. Can't tell if extreme sarcasm or she actually knows something though lol.

Something to watch.

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

Also, does Bean have to clear? I thought he didn't. 

No he doesn't so there is no rush sending him down. He had a good pre-season game. I suspect he will be in the final cut but he has earned a longer look.

45 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

That’d be a robbery of a trade if it was a 1 for 1...

Faulk has been a good player for the Canes. Was here for a lot of the lean years and through numerous coaching changes.  However, the Canes weren’t going to pay him what he was looking for after the Gardiner contract so in the best interest of asset management he needs to be traded.  Can’t afford to lose him for nothing in free agency.