The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

47 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Doesn’t matter if he’s there...he’s insurance on Dzingle

Oh I agree if Dzingel is out for any time Necas is next in line. Necas just has been to inconsistent for my liking. Looking forward to seeing our starting line up next game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I've been unimpressed with Fleury.  What's his deal?  Are we expecting too much at his age and with him being a top 10 pick?

I remember the very first time I saw Fleury was at the prospects camp the year he was drafted. He supposedly was a big deal, being drafted so high, but I was unimpressed after seeing him on the ice. Why? Everything about him said "I'm so good that I don't have to work hard." He lacked drive and intensity. He just wasn't hungry.

Edited by spyglass88

I only saw the 3rd so I was interested to read the posts to try and get an overall impression of what everyone thought. What I did see in the third was a lot of individual effort as opposed to a team game. Perhaps understandable as player try to make their case they deserve a longer look. Unfortunately the biggest news of the night is the Dzingel injury.

I was most interested in McKeown. From what I saw I don't think he either helped or hurt his cause. What I took as an early cut when he was put on waivers was apparently a brilliant move to clear him through waivers while other teams are still evaluating their own prospects and before the try to fill holes when they finalize their rosters. We now have 30 days to evaluate him before we make a decision. If TVR isn't ready you would suspect McKeown is being seriously considered for the spot..I'm not sure he will grab it and is as likely to be sent down sooner rather than later.

I think what prospects dress next two game will tell us who we are seriously looking at.

10 hours ago, remkin said:

The shot that rang off the post doesn't count as a shot on net. As mentioned above he made a very sweet pass back to Dzingel early, which Dzingle didn't finish. Very easily could have had 2 points on a night when no one got any. He also made a few other nice plays. He's a pass first guy too. I'm pretty sure he took a couple of other shots that didn't make it to the goalie. You can just see the way he's thinking the game and can disrupt things with his passing and skating. He drew a penalty too.

That said, and as a guy who still fully expects big things from Necas, Gauthier was at least as good again, possibly better, and as such is well ahead to this point IMO. If it comes down to one slot, I'd say Goat, though there are two preseason games still.

I appreciate the insight.  I read about Dzingel's leg being bent back awkwardly, which does not sound good.  I was also reading about Nino, who apparently was there, but not there, yesterday.  The forward group may not be as solid as we have been hoping for, but then again, it was mostly Charlotte bound players suiting up last night.  Both Necas and Gauthier will probably survive the next round of cuts.

I still think the team needs an additional forward or two this year.  Losing Williams hurt.  If Dzingel is out at all, that will hurt.  

I really thought the Faulk trade would bring the forward the team needed for this year, not 3 years from now.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I only saw the 3rd so I was interested to read the posts to try and get an overall impression of what everyone thought. What I did see in the third was a lot of individual effort as opposed to a team game. Perhaps understandable as player try to make their case they deserve a longer look. Unfortunately the biggest news of the night is the Dzingel injury.

If you watched the 3rd, you saw what the rest of the game was like - individuals, not team play, each trying to make his case.  If there was a system in place, I didn't see it.

Would have liked to see some of Ned.  Hope the goalie situation is still up in the air.

This was the first game that I got to see, thanks HULU.  I'm more than ready to see what the real team can do.  This wasn't it by a long shot.

I liked the D prospects from last night in this order:

sellgren - good stick, makes smart plays. Needs to get a little stronger, avoids contact

Forsling- good plays out of his end, doesn’t mind contact. Play reading needs improvement

Fleury- got physical when given the opportunity. Play was sloppy last night. Looked worse being paired with Bean. Also I think he didn’t look good being the #1 defender against an all nhl squad. 

Bean- makes good passing reads. The rest of his game last night was less than ideal. Both breakaways were on him last night.

Its one game but Sellgren would be my choice to make the roster at 6th defender spot.  He still needs to get stronger and use the body.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

I was most interested in McKeown....What I took as an early cut when he was put on waivers was apparently a brilliant move to clear him through waivers while other teams are still evaluating their own prospects and before the try to fill holes when they finalize their rosters. We now have 30 days to evaluate him before we make a decision. If TVR isn't ready you would suspect McKeown is being seriously considered for the spot..I'm not sure he will grab it and is as likely to be sent down sooner rather than later.

I think what prospects dress next two game will tell us who we are seriously looking at.

The bold is an interesting take. Never thought of that. 

I agree on Mckeown. I do see the fairly smooth play of Sellgren and it is intriguing. My thought is this. All skaters, but especially defenders, are nearly impossible to evaluate when they are playing on an mostly non NHL player team vs. mostly NHL players if that NHL player team is bringing the effort. That's what I saw last night. The ice and intensity were heavily tilted the wrong way. That ends up putting huge pressure on defenders to defend and forwards to make plays. It is an odd reflection of some previous Canes' teams. The shots look pretty close, but the chances and the pressure were all the other way. With that much pressure, ie the other guys pressing forward and forcing plays, not a single defender looked overall good. But in those "no show games" that even good teams have during the season, no one looks totally good. 

Likewise it is hard for forwards to make plays when the ice is tilted the wrong way too. So while Necas wasn't dominant, the few nice chances he did create should be, IMO weighed a bit more heavily, but also the ones Goat made. Not even the veterans looked that great really. 

This is why, IMO, the only player who had a really good game was Forsberg, and it was because he was under siege. Presents a big opportunity for a goalie trying to show something. Yes, he let in 3, but the prime chances were legion, and two of the goals he really had no chance on. But if Forsberg is the main positive, this is still pretty good because despite the last two disappointing prospects pre-season games, and even if Dzingel is out for a while, our biggest question mark remains in goal. Forsberg has the potential to be a find, and last night he looked like one.

An Athletic article that is a survey of an anonymous panel of GMs, Coaches, asst GM's and goalie coaches asked to rank every team's #1 goalie, puts Mrazek at #26. One removed from the lowest tier of 4 bad goalies. 

Just food for thought. I think there's a lot of bias in this type of thing. The bigger names definitely got more love than they deserve, and Mrazek is, in fairness, one season removed from a really bad year, and has a difficult-to-shake reputation as up and down. I will admit I really wanted Lehner. But I do not have anything on figuring out goalies.

Never stopped me though, so, right now, I feel good about Mrazek. His most recent run has been very good. If the "panel of experts" weighed his last months and most of the playoffs, he'd have to be higher. I also like Reimer to get back to form, which is good back up. 

But Mrazek also is injury prone, so I do think it will be very good to see good things from Forsberg and Reimer and even Ned. We need to have a plan B, C and D. So, I say keep three goalies for a while since someone will probably pluck Forsberg if we try to put him through waivers. 

We didn't play our top 5 Defensemen and our 4 best forwards and they played everyone but Josi, so we were at a disadvantage.  Concerned about Dzingel for sure, but we will see.  Looked like a high-ankle sprain to me.

- Gauthier was OK but I was expecting a bit more.  

- Necas showed better than I was reading on this board.  He had some slick passes and that shot off the post was a laser.

- Fleury and Bean were not good

- Sellegrin was OK but needs more size and strength.

- I liked Geekie, but I see what they are saying about his skating.

- Forsberg was lights out the first two periods and then human in the 3rd.

Last night Tripp made reference to Nino skating on his off wing and he is much better on the left side. If so Nino may end up back as he was last season when he was pretty darn good. Of course this is pre-season so everyone is getting into game shape in their own ways. It does emphasize how left shot dominated we are. This could be a problem but as Brindy said last year when queried about left/right shot Dmen  if you can play hockey, you can play hockey so we will see.

2 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

I thought Bean might stick but after last night I think it is obvious he needs a little more AHL time. I don't think overall he has been bad this pre-season and he looks like he will meet expectations but not yet

Looks like Priskie is skating in regular jersey. Probably get him a look before going to Charlotte? And Edmundson. 

19 minutes ago, ironman87 said:

Forsberg was lights out the first two periods and then human in the 3rd.

1st my disclaimer, I didn't see the game either in real time or replay, so basing the following on what I've read here, But saying that, just curious if the statement ironman87 made above may have some meaning? What I'm asking is: Does anyone who saw the game think his 3rd period lag speaks to conditioning? Alternately, could it be an expression of Forsberg's realization that he was playing in front of Swiss cheese defense, thus was frustrated to keep the team in the game?Now if the latter, that would be of concern to me, but I just don't think that could be the case at this time, especially if he wants a place in the lineup? 

Edited by KJUNKANE

27 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

1st my disclaimer, I didn't see the game either in real time or replay, so basing the following on what I've read here, But saying that, just curious if the statement ironman87 made above may have some meaning? What I'm asking is: Does anyone who saw the game think his 3rd period lag speak to conditioning? Alternately, could it be an expression of Forsberg's realization that he was playing in front of Swiss cheese defense, thus was frustrated to keep the team in the game?Now if the latter, that would be of concerto me, but I just don't think that could be the case at this time, especially if he wants a place in the lineup? 

I have to disagree with the contention. Forsberg was good all game. All three shots that got by him were very high risk. Yes, two of them were in the third, but he was still strong IMO. This was one of those games where the shot totals were completely misleading. Reine stopped 32-32, but only a few of them were high risk. I'd love to see the "expected goals" stats for this game, because I think they'd tell a more accurate tale.

The three goals allowed:

one was a huge D breakdown on a PP. A great, backwards. royal-road-crossing pass from the corner to a sniper left completely alone to walk in right in front of the net, (as Foegele anticipated a more traditional pass back to the point, and left his man wide open). Then the shot itself was a lazer into the high near-corner, it actually went in off the pipe. It was a perfect shot.

two: a double deflection freaking floater knuckle ball, pin ball, crazy shot. 

the last one, was a cross ice pass right in front of the net. And the shot went through his legs as he came over to try to make a big save whilst hung out to dry.

But against that were tons of prime chances he stopped. The ice was tilted to him. And even with those three very not-soft goals his save % was .925 for the game. 

12 minutes ago, remkin said:
Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 7m7 minutes ago
MoreBrind’Amour says Dzingel felt better today but will be longer than day to day.

I guess, could be worse? Not sure. Seems a bit cryptic. I'd have to guess sprain, but I'm just guessing here. Would surely seem to rule out the last two preseason games anyway.

I felt better the day after back surgery.  But I was out for 6 months.  :)

As for McKeown, I do believe it was a brilliant move to pass waivers during the busy period and keep him from being sucked up off the wire.  Way to go committee.

Edited by wxray1

2 hours ago, remkin said:
Chip AlexanderVerified account @ice_chip 7m7 minutes ago
MoreBrind’Amour says Dzingel felt better today but will be longer than day to day.

I guess, could be worse? Not sure. Seems a bit cryptic. I'd have to guess sprain, but I'm just guessing here. Would surely seem to rule out the last two preseason games anyway.

I would assume that any xray was negative.  Probably doesn’t feel good enough to be healed in a couple of days. My guess is he’d be back in the 2nd week of the season.

1 hour ago, thickburglar said:

What's the deal with streaming the Canes on Hulu? 

Regional sports networks on Hulu + live tv in North Carolina - FSN, FSC.  Included with subscription.  Has my go to mix of live channels for others - History, Discovery, etc.