The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

This may seem insignificant but not to me.  It shows to the heart of this guy.  Glad we got him and hope he excels.

"On a more heart-warming note, goalie Petr Mrazek brought custom hats for his teammates. Each teammate’s hat has their number on it. "

• Like 3

Training Camp Tweets

1 hour ago

Priskie is week-to-week according to head coach Rod Brind'Amour. "I don't think it's as bad as we feared," he said.

5 hours ago

Day Two of camp. Teravainen with the first shootout shot. All net. Made it look easy.

Mrazek takes shot off mask, leaves ice bleeding, comes back quickly and back in net. No prob.

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Brindy

B-Talk day 2

Mentioned that he was pleased with how most of the team came into camp but that there were just a couple players not where he'd like them to be.  I wonder who they were?

Reporters noted that Fleury said he was going to be "less nice" on the ice and Brindy was happy to hear it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Reporters noted that Fleury said he was going to be "less nice" on the ice and Brindy was happy to hear it.

I'm happy to hear it as well - his game could use that.  I hope it happens.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Looks like all that time on the bike is paying off. Roddy's showing off his backpedaling skills.

Yeah Brind'Amour seemed surprised to hear that. He said, "He (Fleury) said that? He needs to add that element to his game, and the sooner he figures that out, the best for all of us.". Fleury is a pretty big kid. With DeHaan and especially Ferland out, there is a clear role for physicality from a guy like Fleury for sure. And with about 20 guys knocking on the door for that last D spot, I would think the motivation in this contract year would be pretty pretty high for Fleury to find an edge.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah Brind'Amour seemed surprised to hear that. He said, "He (Fleury) said that? He needs to add that element to his game, and the sooner he figures that out, the best for all of us.". Fleury is a pretty big kid. With DeHaan and especially Ferland out, there is a clear role for physicality from a guy like Fleury for sure. And with about 20 guys knocking on the door for that last D spot, I would think the motivation in this contract year would be pretty pretty high for Fleury to find an edge.

Thanks for the actual quote rem.  I just hope he does it in an intelligent way.  The last thing we need is a bunch of stupid penalties, especially with deHaan and (most likely) Faulk not there on the PK this season.

Hurricanes send three down

The team assigned forwards Luke Henman (Blainville-Boisbriand - Quebec Major Junior Hockey League), Blake Murray (Sudbury - Ontario Hockey League) and Jamieson Rees (Sarnia - Ontario Hockey League) to their respective junior teams. 

A collective exhale among Cane fans could be heard, I would think.

15 minutes ago

Martin Necas took a hard spill into the end boards and went into the room to get looked at. Back on the ice now, and he seems to be skating through this drill OK, which is good news for the .

Chip Tweets day 3

15 minutes ago

Teravainen, again, with the shootout goal in his session. Made it look easy, again

Fleury has had a shootout goal in camp and believes his first NHL goal is coming this season. Has played 87 games. "Don't even tell me how many shots I've had," he joked. So don't tell him 103. .

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Chip Tweets day 3

Fleury has had a shootout goal in camp and believes his first NHL goal is coming this season. Has played 87 games. "Don't even tell me how many shots I've had," he joked. So don't tell him 103. . 

Hmm . . . that's not a very good shooting percentage.  Let me get my calculator out  . . .  plus two, carry the 3 .  . .  if my ciphering is correct, I get 0 percent!  :o

Edited by LakeLivin

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Hmm . . . that's not a very good shooting percentage.  Let me get my calculator out  . . .  plus two, carry the 3 .  . .  if my ciphering is correct, I get 0 percent!  :o

Ah, cut Fleury some slack. 😉 He's still more than half-a-season behind the record for most NHL games played without scoring a goal.

If you aren't aware of that record, it's held by the Hurricanes' own Steven Halko, who played parts of six seasons and a total of 155 games without scoring a goal.

In college at U of Michigan, he was recognized as the CCHA "Most Outstanding Defensive Defenseman" for 1994-95, made the CCHA All-Tournament team three times (first team once, second team twice), and captained the Wolverines in 1995-96 when they won the NCAA title; Halko was named to the NCAA All-Tournament team that season.

Edited by JonKerfoot
Spelling

2 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Ah, cut Fleury some slack. 😉 He's still more than half-a-season behind the record for most NHL games played without scoring a goal.

If you aren't aware of that record, it's held by the Hurricanes' own Steven Halko, who played parts of six seasons and a total of 155 games without scoring a goal.

In college at U of Michigan, he was recognized as the CCHA "Most Outstanding Defensive Defenseman" for 1994-95, made the CCHA All-Tournament team three times (first team once, second team twice), and captained the Wolverines in 1995-96 when they won the NCAA title; Halko was named to the NCAA All-Tournament team that season.

Honestly i'd put Fleury at Halko-level, not simply because of the lack of goals (anyone who knows me knows i don't rate defensemen on how many goals they've scored).  I hope he shows a little more this season, particularly after the franchise let go a couple of better defensemen and kept him.

Realm, as you know I normally agree with you, but I think Fleury has been ok at the NHL level.

In 20 games last year he was +4, and +1 in the playoffs. It’s not like he’s costing us when he is out there.

The eyeball test shows me a lot of good things, and he did start to become more involved offensively as he played more.

Which brings me to my final point, nobody in the organization has been moved around or unsure of what his role will be with the team over the last few years than Fleury. IMO he needs more playing time, it’s hard to judge a guy who is up and down, in and out. Some players would be frustrated (see: Saarela), but I think Fleury has been patient and has handled it like a professional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Realm, as you know I normally agree with you, but I think Fleury has been ok at the NHL level.

In 20 games last year he was +4, and +1 in the playoffs. It’s not like he’s costing us when he is out there.

The eyeball test shows me a lot of good things, and he did start to become more involved offensively as he played more.

Which brings me to my final point, nobody in the organization has been moved around or unsure of what his role will be with the team over the last few years than Fleury. IMO he needs more playing time, it’s hard to judge a guy who is up and down, in and out. Some players would be frustrated (see: Saarela), but I think Fleury has been patient and has handled it like a professional.

I agree !  In my opinion   Fleury  will only get better when he is facing tougher competition .   He is at that stage in his career that   he needs  the extra load on in plate  .   What i saw from him  in the AHL playoffs  shown me  that he has no problem with generating offense  and playing sound on defense  .  It's high time for him to start playing  for real not be sent down over minor stuff in practice . 

7 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Post of preseason so far.

I'll just add: Roddy's complaints about Fleury's (alleged) softness have never rang true to my eye test. I guess RBA can't see the corners well from behind the bench, because no Cane in this current group of D (with the exception of Pesce) takes the body first as often to win pucks in the corners, nor is as textbook positioned to protect the puck when he gets to it first in our end. 

Yo-yoing this kid is the only thing holding him back at this point, IMO, from becoming our next shutdown Dman. He needs NHL games.

Edited by top-shelf-1

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Worse, to get respectable, he needs to score on, like, his next 15 straight.

24 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yo-yoing this kid is the only thing holding him back at this point, IMO, from becoming our next shutdown Dman. He needs NHL games.

It looks like i'm in a definite minority where Fleury is concerned, which is fair enough - i'm ready to be proven wrong and if i am i'll admit it with a smile on my face.  I still think McKeown is the stronger candidate at this point, however

I think Fleury played really good last year when he had to step in and play during the regular season.  Didn’t look out of place and was physical at times.  He really wasn’t given the opportunity in the playoffs when he only averaged about 5 minutes a game.  He needs NHL playing time and I think he will be a very solid player.

Francis was overly patient with him and maybe kept him in the minors too long when the Canes actually had openings for dman.  

Re Fleury, I believe what we witness with RBA's criticism of him is a back handed complement if you will, that Rod knows he can be better, and wants to push him to those heights. To my eyes as everyone seems to agree, he never looked out of place at this level, just had awful bad puck luck, but once he starts having pucks going in, we'll see an upsurge in them from this player.