The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

Might be good we lost it so Brind'Amour can get to the making of the points with maximal effect.

10 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Could be worse then. 

Somehow I feel the need to explain. I know Reimer let a couple in yesterday, but neither was particularly soft, and while Forsberg let 3 in, he still looked quite good as he was bombarded with quality chances on nearly 40 shots, and two of the goals he had no chance on, and Mrazek has looked good. Ned has looked good in limited time. I've long held that this team is built to win so long as we get league average  goaltending, a thing that we've struggled to get, especially in two consecutive years. So, while the team's effort last night was not pretty, the scariest thing would be if we were getting bad goaltending. The other thing is that there is a tendency for goals to be up early as teams have yet to tighten their D up and goalies find their footing, so given that, it's been either good or average to this point.

I want to see the team up it's game Sunday, because so far we have not seen an A effort from the vets. But given the D breakdowns, on the whole the goalies have been good. I hope we stay with 3 goalies if possible because if I had to pick one concern it would be if Reimer gets there, and I would hate to lose Forsling to waivers only to have him go on and become a really good goalie. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, me too.  IT sucks and I won't sit idly by and let this happen.  What's our plan Top?

This is our plan. *edit* about it on anonymous forums :lol:

Oops, I of course meant to type "*Female canine* about it..."

Edited by top-shelf-1

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Rod had better be lighting these guys up cause this game was pure dog *edit*!

Dude, really? Already?

I couldn't watch last night and came here before checking the result. Reading the above I figured we'd lost 8-0. 

A 2-1 overtime loss is never pure dog feces, let alone in preseason. But even in-season it's a point, and you take it, and you move on.

21 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Dude, really? Already?

I couldn't watch last night and came here before checking the result. Reading the above I figured we'd lost 8-0. 

A 2-1 overtime loss is never pure dog feces, let alone in preseason. But even in-season it's a point, and you take it, and you move on.

Yes, it was our A squad vs their B- squad.  Passing and stick handling were almost ECHL level for our vets last night, with several missed open nets on one timers because players weren’t passing properly. 

17 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yes, it was our A squad vs their B- squad.  Passing and stick handling were almost ECHL level for our vets last night, with several missed open nets on one timers because players weren’t passing properly. 

We did the same thing to Tampa Bay. So what?

So as a game it wasn't exactly an edge of your seat affair. It was an opportunity to observe players and try to figure out what we are thinking as Brindy and company finalize the roster. Not that my opinion matters it has never stopped me or any of us from weighing in. With that in mind here was my take away.

Aho, Staal, and Mrazek look good to go, They look game ready. TT and McGinn are close.

I thought our backup goalie decision had been made but after last night I'm not sure

I have been as critical of Fluery, maybe more so as anyone else but I thought he played reasonable well last night and playing on the right side of the D. I think with Slavin, Gardiner and Edmundson looking like they have locked down the left side we are giving Fluery a long look to at least fill in for the injured TVR.

Edmundson was good in his first outing as a Cane.

Finally it is tough, especially on a video stream to get a real handle on all that is going on. I guess I will just trust Brindy and company that the team will be good to go on opening night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Somehow I feel the need to explain. I know Reimer let a couple in yesterday, but neither was particularly soft, and while Forsberg let 3 in, he still looked quite good as he was bombarded with quality chances on nearly 40 shots, and two of the goals he had no chance on, and Mrazek has looked good. Ned has looked good in limited time. I've long held that this team is built to win so long as we get league average  goaltending, a thing that we've struggled to get, especially in two consecutive years. So, while the team's effort last night was not pretty, the scariest thing would be if we were getting bad goaltending. The other thing is that there is a tendency for goals to be up early as teams have yet to tighten their D up and goalies find their footing, so given that, it's been either good or average to this point.

I want to see the team up it's game Sunday, because so far we have not seen an A effort from the vets. But given the D breakdowns, on the whole the goalies have been good. I hope we stay with 3 goalies if possible because if I had to pick one concern it would be if Reimer gets there, and I would hate to lose Forsling to waivers only to have him go on and become a really good goalie. 

Based on limited viewing my backup would be Forsberg over Reimer. Very small sample size though.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We did the same thing to Tampa Bay. So what?

Didn’t have our big guns all playing for that one 

I'm just happy that we have Canes hockey back. Let's Go Canes! Who's ready for Pig Power?

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

So, I'm a little confused.  RB sees rust in yesterday's game, and wanted more chemistry.  Today, the day before an early in the day last preseason game, there is no practice.  Is there some logic to what's happening here?

43 minutes ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

So, I'm a little confused.  RB sees rust in yesterday's game, and wanted more chemistry.  Today, the day before an early in the day last preseason game, there is no practice.  Is there some logic to what's happening here?

I would not be concerned.  The team goals are for a long run, and what is most important now is to sort out the final roster and have the newer guys integrating into the team chemistry.  We hope Gardiner will energize the power play, and TVR will stabilize the back end.  Also, Dzingel is hopefully ok.  Let's see how the first 5-10 regular season games go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Didn’t have our big guns all playing for that one 

No, I'm saying our prospects did it to their big guns (first preseason game, in Tampa).

Edited by top-shelf-1

2 hours ago, WilmingtonCaniac said:

I think so: Overload. Beyond the pressures of camp and cuts, sometimes the best way to get back to your game is to get away from it for a bit. These guys play so much that a day off feels like a couple. Plus the early start.

I guess it is an interesting question as to how many games in preseason the veteran's need together.  It sure seemed difficult to assess the prospects when they were all scraping around together.  May be more mixed games.  Funny thin is that the 1st game veteran's plate together I thought they looked pretty good although their effort was off.  This last ibe just looked discombobulated.  Hopefully they look better tomorrow.  And even more hopefully they look better against Montreal on opening night.

Listening to veteran's  talking on interviews, it seems most want 2-3 games.  

7 minutes ago, remkin said:

Listening to veteran's  talking on interviews, it seems most want 2-3 games

I think the real key is the balance between how many games are necessary to develop the needed chemistry vs attempting to avoid injury before the season even starts. Not sure there is one answer to that, but for this particular team with many new parts, I'd suspect it will take a little longer? A team with not so many new faces probably needs less preseason sharpening?

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

No, I'm saying our prospects did it to their big guns (first preseason game, in Tampa).

Against Stamkos and Shattenkirk...no Point, no Kuch, no Vasi

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Against Stamkos and Shattenkirk...no Point, no Kuch, no Vasi

And you think after their ignominious exit in the first round last year that made them feel better?

Camps are largely about coaches testing how guys will react in pressure situations. They're a process. If they meant anything, the Canes wouldn't have stunk it up for the first half of the season last year. This is where the kinks get ironed out. If they'd actually lost by a touchdown, yeah, maybe cause for a smidge of concern. But 2-1?