The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

I like seeing the board give Fleury some love. Not that he's shown great things, but that it is so well known that most NHL D men take a long time to find their best NHL game. The guys with offensive flash have a huge advantage in that regard since that is easy to see, and offsets the D issues. But if you don't bring a ton of offense, it takes a while to establish your D cred for most players. It's easy to focus on the few guys who seem to make the transition smoothly, but most NHL D men take around 4 full NHL seasons to "get it" fully at this level, according to, well, NHL defensemen who have talked about it. 

We tossed a lot of this at Hanifin too when he had few games under his belt. But then one wonders if Hanifin might not have benefited from at least a year in Charlotte. But he didn't and it showed for at least 2 seasons, if not more.

McKeown has put up extremely solid shutdown numbers in Charlotte, and sure seems like a great 3rd pair option too. McKeown and to a lesser extent Fleury have been the biggest casualties of the Canes building such a deep D. But in a strange, long term cap management kind of way, the team could actually suffer from having too many veteran D men because it is inhibiting us from developing these guys from the system. 

I'm not really complaining, but we've continued over the years to sign guys or trade for them to bolster the D, to the point that we're not only blocking guys, but we're practically giving them away (see DeHaan) to make room for more (see Gardiner). It has produced what appears to be a pretty amazing D, so I'm not complaining about that part. But we have really yet to do the vaunted flipping of D for O, or even G. 

I've long maintained that the one good thing to come out of this "slow-play" of Fleury would be to sign him to a longish deal on the cheap. He's an RFA next year. If we can see steady, solid play, especially if he brings an edge, from him, we should consider a pre RFA deal for him IMO. Teams need to have guys on team friendly deal in the cap era. 

Meanwhile, down in Charlotte, Jake Bean and Chase Priskie along with McKeown, and Jesper Sellgren. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

It looks like i'm in a definite minority where Fleury is concerned, which is fair enough - i'm ready to be proven wrong and if i am i'll admit it with a smile on my face.  I still think McKeown is the stronger candidate at this point, however

I would agree if he had the NHL games under his belt. And while it is an absolute travesty that he doesn't, I'm glad he was there to lead them to the Calder Cup. I think part of the struggle with Fleury is that we figured he'd be more of an offensive force based on his juniors play, while McKeown is an obvious shutdown guy so far.

Hard to believe but there is actually a hockey game tomorrow! OK, preseason, but there is a game. 

• Like 3

A story in the N&O about Necas. Yes, obviously, I'm very excited to see him in action, and the article is mostly flattering, but here's a weird quote:

Asked Monday if he liked what he has seen out of Necas in the first four days of training camp, Brind’Amour said, “No.” Brind’Amour didn’t elaborate and then said more good things than bad about Necas.

I still think that Brind'Amour was talking directly about Necas when he groused that he'd rather have guys training in the offseason than winning their Calder Cup. I wonder if some of it is sort of based on that. I continue to maintain that Necas' speed and offense creating will be hard to ignore, and if we don't get a guy like Kase on a Faulk trade, I still bet on him making it. The article mentions that Necas has added 20 lbs from his first arrival here, and that has to help. 

The article doesn’t need a subscription just scrolling past a lot of ads. Roddy said it all comes down to putting it all together. He needs someone willing to go in the dirty areas.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

EEofqOXWsAEd-1x.jpg

Fleury, McGinn, Pesce, Wallmark and Martinook join an otherwise "all prospect" team. 

By default that puts Necas with the "mostly regulars" team. 

On Brindy and Necas. The guy from CanesCountry who is reporting from camp, said he though Necas looked a step behind on some drills. Maybe that was it. 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

On Brindy and Necas. The guy from CanesCountry who is reporting from camp, said he though Necas looked a step behind on some drills. Maybe that was it. 

I am wondering how the final forward spot is shaping up so far.  Experienced guys such as McCormick and Gibbons versus rookies such as Necas, Geekie, and Gauthier.  The couple of quotes I have read have not lead me to believe that Necas has raced to the lead.

Hurricanes Lineup

Martinook-Wallmark-McGinn
Pritchard-Geekie-Markison
Kuokkanen-Luostarinen-Gauthier
McCormick-Suzuki-Gibbons

Fleury-McKeown
Bean-Pesce
Sellgren-Wood

Reimer
Forsberg

3 hours ago, beboplar said:

I am wondering how the final forward spot is shaping up so far.  Experienced guys such as McCormick and Gibbons versus rookies such as Necas, Geekie, and Gauthier.  The couple of quotes I have read have not lead me to believe that Necas has raced to the lead.

Yeah, I think he's going to have to show it in game. 

My stream isn't working. I guess they think the Outer Banks is still part of England

Working now

2 minutes ago, OBXer said:

My stream isn't working. I guess they think the Outer Banks is still part of England

Working now

I gotta listen to it via WRAL app

The sound and video are at least 1 minute off. Annoying

Fixed

23 minutes ago, cc said:

gauthier is an evident presence.

thanks for the update.  with ferland gone, williams gone, saku gone, physical presence could go a long way towards making the roster.