The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

Yeah that is the A team, including the A prospects. 

It will be very interesting to see how Necas does. If he has been a step behind in drills, and Brind'Amour called him out by saying "No" to the question did he like what he's seen from Necas so far? With a coach like Brind'Amour and spots so tight, it doesn't help Necas to start in the hole. He will need to sparkle on the ice. 

Interesting about Gauthier looking good. He came on in Charlotte last year. He has skill, size and can score. If he makes a habit of going to the net, well, coaches love that a lot more than being a step behind in drills...

I still like Necas to take the spot, but Brind'Amour surely won't give it to him, he's going to have to earn it. 

After looking at tonite's lineup, I was speculating (to myself) that Gauthier was the only player suiting up twice in a row.  Is that correct?  The team, as it is made up, sure has a place for a young, energetic, physical right winger willing to rush the net.  I am not looking to keep Necas down on the farm, but with the additions of Dzingel and Haula and the deletions of Ferland and Williams, whomever brings that element has an advantage in making this year's squad.  I think the 4th line is set with Marty/Wallmark/McG;  Svech and Nino bring some grit to the top 2 lines.  It would not surprise me to see lines of Svech/Aho/Turbo and Nino/Haula/Dzingel, so the 3rd line would look like Foegele/Staal/????  Could be Necas, but then again Gauthier may see the door open and make a rush for it.

6 minutes ago, beboplar said:

After looking at tonite's lineup, I was speculating (to myself) that Gauthier was the only player suiting up twice in a row.  Is that correct?  The team, as it is made up, sure has a place for a young, energetic, physical right winger willing to rush the net.  I am not looking to keep Necas down on the farm, but with the additions of Dzingel and Haula and the deletions of Ferland and Williams, whomever brings that element has an advantage in making this year's squad.  I think the 4th line is set with Marty/Wallmark/McG;  Svech and Nino bring some grit to the top 2 lines.  It would not surprise me to see lines of Svech/Aho/Turbo and Nino/Haula/Dzingel, so the 3rd line would look like Foegele/Staal/????  Could be Necas, but then again Gauthier may see the door open and make a rush for it.

Absolutely. I think Necas has the skill and high end game to be a star, but Brind'Amour is not going to just anoint him. He will have to show it in games and practice. On the other hand, as Foegele showed last year, a guy can make this team in camp, and Gauthier, also a first round pick with more AHL seasoning has a chance. Necas can always be sent back to Charlotte. 

I think you're right about the fourth line, and while the coach says pre season lines don't matter, I think there's a reason he pulled those three guys to be the top line on the B squad: they are going to be a line in the season. And that is a very interesting 4th line, because it really has 3rd line skill on it. Especially if Wallmark steps up from his rookie year. 

I think we'll ice a 3rd line with 2nd line skill and a 4th line with 3rd line skill. 

• Like 1

Just musing, but if Necas makes it over Gauthier or others, then maybe the lines look like this?

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Foegele-Staal-Nino

Marty/Wallmark/McG

Each of these lines has a younger guy with two more veteran players, Necas' speed fits well with Dz and Haula, and F-S-N seemed to work well together last year. 

Just a thought. Not sure what the pairings might be if it's Gauthier rather than Necas. 

11 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Just musing, but if Necas makes it over Gauthier or others, then maybe the lines look like this?

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Foegele-Staal-Nino

Marty/Wallmark/McG

Each of these lines has a younger guy with two more veteran players, Necas' speed fits well with Dz and Haula, and F-S-N seemed to work well together last year. 

Just a thought. Not sure what the pairings might be if it's Gauthier rather than Necas. 

To my eye that is the line up I'd go with. Just the notion of Dzingel/Haula/Necas flying down the ice, balanced by the physical, yet crafty skill of the Staal line, and the just flat out elite skill of that top line just feels right. 

Of course, lines don't aways work the way they seem they should, but I like yours in my head at least.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Im glad Gauthier is getting another shot.  He had a very strong game last night.  I think he has the best shot, so far, to take Necas' spot.  From what I read, Geekie did well too.

Gaut didn't do much to impress me last season, but i did like what i saw of his game last night (connection was pretty bad for us so we only saw chunks of the first 2 periods in between bufferings and whatnot and we gave up during the second intermission so we missed the third).  If he's ready to grab a spot, i'm ready to watch him take it.  Geekie looked good last night as well, but unlike Gaut he did impress me last season.

23 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Foegele-Staal-Nino

Marty/Wallmark/McG

I am not that familiar with Haula's game.  Supposedly he is a speedy skater, as are his potential line mates you have drawn up for him.  However, while Dzingel has some grit, feels like this line would get pushed around.  That's why Nino on this line felt right.

38 minutes ago, beboplar said:

feels like this line would get pushed around

The other team would have to catch them first 😀

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

The other team would have to catch them first 😀

Either that or rough them up coming off their own bench.......

Am I to assume that tonight's stream on Canesvision is georestricted to broadcast area means I can't get it if I'm in the region? What about the Lightning streaming it? 

Basically, can I watch this thing at home?

4 hours ago, cc said:

Matter of opinion-  I for one love em.  But its not what on the sweaters that matters anyway.  Its not a fashion show.

I will never miss the sightless eye. It was okay for about 15 minutes in the early aughts. Now it just looks dumb.

Ah just bought a ticket, might as well go. The secondary market is, shall we say, much more reasonable than the box office. 

Hurricanes Lineup

Dzingel-Aho-Niederreiter
Foegele-Haula-Necas
Svechnikov-Staal-Teravainen
Lorentz-Bishop-Gauthier

Claesson-Forsling
Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Faulk

Mrazek
Nedeljkovic

6 hours ago, spyglass88 said:

Turbo-Aho-Svech

Dzingel-Haula-Necas

Foegele-Staal-Nino

Marty/Wallmark/McG

Those have been my projected lines for a while now.  All four lines would be tough to play against for one reason or another.

57 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hurricanes Lineup

Dzingel-Aho-Niederreiter
Foegele-Haula-Necas
Svechnikov-Staal-Teravainen
Lorentz-Bishop-Gauthier

Claesson-Forsling
Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Faulk

Mrazek
Nedeljkovic

Can't say I understand the Gardiner / Faulk pairing.  I would think you would be looking for Pesce / Gardiner chemistry....

7 hours ago, hag65 said:

Key points?  (For us cheap-azz chumps)

Good article. I'd like to see Necas shoot more as he has a good shot. Defenders tend to expect the pass.

22 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Can't say I understand the Gardiner / Faulk pairing.  I would think you would be looking for Pesce / Gardiner chemistry....

I think it means if they cant find value for him in a trade then he will play out this season in Raleigh. I dont think the committee neccesarily wants to trade Faulk I think they just realize 1. Their own depth 2. His contract status and 3. Of tradable guys he should bring the best return. 

But at the same time they will not dump him for trash. I dont think this is a Skinner situation where they felt Skinner was a detriment to the team.

Edited by Derailed75

Getting the feed here in Jacksonville for the moment. First thing I notice when I get it up and running is they are giving away bags, AND THEY AREN'T CLEAR. Wonder if that will cause problems later?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

Getting the feed here in Jacksonville for the moment. First thing I notice when I get it up and running is they are giving away bags, AND THEY AREN'T CLEAR. Wonder if that will cause problems later?

They sent out a communication on that.       http://app.response.canesmail.com/e/es?s=1468279136&e=19391&elqTrackId=dc2f56e9e98745bab3f7cd93d153bd73&elq=b7fc2bfef2f449ae908dd36ac37ca08c&elqaid=2266&elqat=1      

Notice we are using Gardiner and Hamilton on the power play units. I liked Gardiners play. Faulk looked good. Necas looks a little nervous or something. Overall nice play