The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

48 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Brindy after last nights game

B-TALK

After 2 games, he is beaming most about the goalies and the goat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Didn’t love what I saw from Necas last night. Some lazy/sloppy passes in front of his own net. You might get away with that in the AHL but will get burned more often than not playing that way in the NHL.

From Cardiac Cane, "Standouts from tonight's game: Julien Gauthier, Alex Nedeljkovic, Petr Mrazek, Steve Lorentz, Clark Bishop, Andrei Svechnikov. Foegele looked solid as well. Necas left quite a bit to be desired, makes HCRBA's comment(s) on him the other day make a bit more sense."

Despite the naysaying about Necas, the skill is also evident. But listening to Brind'Amour talk about Bishop and others saying "those guys played a game that can translate in a couple of weeks". That says to me that Necas has to show he can "translate" his skill to a game that works for the coach in the NHL. Then again, Brindy said he does like that right shot on the PP that Necas brings, and the PP is important. 

Tough to handicap who steps into what is likely one spot. Gauthier has to be the guy who has jumped up the most, but Brindy also said that the coaches need to 'work on some things to help him (Gauthier) get to this level', so it's not a slam dunk for him either. Necas clearly shows the skill, and can help the PP, but has a short window to convince the coach that he has figured out the things that work and don't work in the NHL. And if neither of them impresses the coach enough he could easily go with Bishop, who may not be as elite, but does know how to play in the NHL, and just push another guy up (Martinook or McGinn). 

At this point, I'd say that last forward position is down to Necas, Gauthier and Bishop, with the early buzz going to Gauthier.

Again, just two preseason games, but it does look like we have an abundance of NHL D men, at least capable of that bottom pair. I thought Forsling looked fine. Fleury, McKeown...Priskie with the unfortunately timed injury, Claesson looked fine too. 

Can we pass some through waivers? Who knows? Have to think at least a couple will be claimed. 

More reason to trade Faulk. 

22 minutes ago, remkin said:

Despite the naysaying about Necas, the skill is also evident. But listening to Brind'Amour talk about Bishop and others saying "those guys played a game that can translate in a couple of weeks". That says to me that Necas has to show he can "translate" his skill to a game that works for the coach in the NHL. Then again, Brindy said he does like that right shot on the PP that Necas brings, and the PP is important. 

Tough to handicap who steps into what is likely one spot. Gauthier has to be the guy who has jumped up the most, but Brindy also said that the coaches need to 'work on some things to help him (Gauthier) get to this level', so it's not a slam dunk for him either. Necas clearly shows the skill, and can help the PP, but has a short window to convince the coach that he has figured out the things that work and don't work in the NHL. And if neither of them impresses the coach enough he could easily go with Bishop, who may not be as elite, but does know how to play in the NHL, and just push another guy up (Martinook or McGinn). 

At this point, I'd say that last forward position is down to Necas, Gauthier and Bishop, with the early buzz going to Gauthier.

Bishop seems like the guy they may turn to as the 13th forward.  When you consider Haula may not be an 82 game player, Bishop can fill in at center as well as wing probably.  Besides Necas, Gauthier is also a RH shot (and so is Geekie, correct?), so that does not give him the upper hand on that basis.  I agree it is early, but some things you can't teach, like being big and playing big.  If Gauthier is willing to park his body in front of their net on a consistent basis and fight battles in the corners, that would be huge.  The team has waited on Gauthier longer than Necas, so who knows.

19 minutes ago, beboplar said:

Bishop seems like the guy they may turn to as the 13th forward.  When you consider Haula may not be an 82 game player, Bishop can fill in at center as well as wing probably.  Besides Necas, Gauthier is also a RH shot (and so is Geekie, correct?), so that does not give him the upper hand on that basis.  I agree it is early, but some things you can't teach, like being big and playing big.  If Gauthier is willing to park his body in front of their net on a consistent basis and fight battles in the corners, that would be huge.  The team has waited on Gauthier longer than Necas, so who knows.

Agree on Bishop as the extra forward, but not necessarily on Gauthier = Necas on the PP (the point that they are both R shots is true though). Mainly because Brind'Amour specifically called out Necas as a good option on the PP, and Necas was on the first unit, Gauthier second. Gauthier's passing is not close to what Necas brings, though Gauthier could establish a net front. They are both right shots, but IMO, the PP is advantage Necas at this point, as I doubt Gauthier gets much PP time even if he made the team, but Necas probably would. That is an edge to Necas, but then a lot other early signs are advantage Gauthier.

But Bishop is just about perfect for the fill in role of healthy extra, so in that case early handicapping would be between Gauthier and Necas with both having pluses and minuses. Assuming everyone's healthy, seems likely that one of them goes down, and one stays up with Bishop as the extra. Coaches want guys that are NHL ready as much as possible, and Bishop checks that box.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Despite the naysaying about Necas, the skill is also evident

Absolutely agree. I think the question is if he is showing enough to make the team at the beginning of this season. I hope he does.

i like Bishops toughness, he is not afraid to go to the corners, and he had a nice goal. I think Svech scores over 30 goals this year.

7 minutes ago, dinz said:

i like Bishops toughness, he is not afraid to go to the corners, and he had a nice goal. I think Svech scores over 30 goals this year.

Svech has also stepped up his physical play.

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

Svech has also stepped up his physical play.

Supplemented with boxing lessons I hope?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Supplemented with boxing lessons I hope?

He took boxing lessons last summer, before his fight with Ovi.  I wonder if that gave him a false sense of confidence he'd have been better off without? :P

He needs to take non boxing lessons: "How to skate away from the big oaf trying to sucker you." 

9 hours ago, OBXer said:

I didn't see the entire game but from what I saw I had the same impression. I'm not sure I would describe it as lazy but at times he looked out of place

I can't know (of course), but I wonder if he's feeling like that, too. This is a speed team but with two notable exceptions (who happen also to be our two most elite players, Aho and TT) not a small one, and Necas is still small. If he's elite he either needs to start bringing it or stay in the A until he's able to. Last night was a golden opportunity for him, and after the two periods I saw, all I came away wanting to see is Gaut and Svech on the same line. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

addendum:

The other roster players who are under a buck ninety, McGinn and Wallmark, know how to throw hits and how to take them. So do Gaut and Bishop, both of whom have had more time in the A, and neither of whom is underweight. Gaut is 227. I think after watching him for fifteen years as both a coach and a player, we know what side Roddy likely comes down on. Bishop extra healthy, Gaut your new winger.

Necas was playing with seasoned NHLers all night, against prospects, and wasn't even noticeable.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Calder Cup winning Gauthier should look good against AHL'ers and I'm glad he does but it'll be more about how he does when the NHL'ers start drawing into the lineup.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Calder Cup winning Gauthier should look good against AHL'ers and I'm glad he does but it'll be more about how he does when the NHL'ers start drawing into the lineup.

True, but he's off to a good start, and the Bolts lineup the night before was fairly heavy with NHLers.

It's a little too early to anoint him as the next new Cane, but after two games, he's the guy that seems most determined to earn 10 games to find out. A lot could change over the next four, and beyond Necas, who at this point IMO has been all hat no cattle, and Bishop, a dark horse but a guy who gave us a string of good games at a critical moment last year, I think any of Kouk, Lorentz, and Luostarinen can also challenge. And that's before we get Maenalanen back, if it happens.

You gotta love the org's depth on both sides of the puck. Impressive.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

True, but he's off to a good start, and the Bolts lineup the night before was fairly heavy with NHLers.

It's a little too early to anoint him as the next new Cane, but after two games, he's the guy that seems most determined to earn 10 games to find out. A lot could change over the next four, and beyond Necas, who at this point IMO has been all hat no cattle, and Bishop, a dark horse but a guy who gave us a string of good games at a critical moment last year, I think any of Kouk, Lorentz, and Luostarinen can also challenge. And that's before we get Maenalanen back, if it happens.

You gotta love the org's depth on both sides of the puck. Impressive.

The depth really is impressive.  Now, if a couple of players can rise to the next higher level (including current NHLers like Svech and Foegele as well as prospects like Goat, Bean, Geekie, etc.), we should be legit Cup  competitors for a good while to come. 

Don't know why but I have a sense that Kuokk and Wallmark won't both be on the Canes together for any length of time.   

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

He took boxing lessons last summer, before his fight with Ovi.  I wonder if that gave him a false sense of confidence he'd have been better off without? :P

I guess boxing lessons really can't help if you get hit with a punch like that, and then a 230 lb guy fall on you.

Kuok has an uphill battle coming off injury missing the whole Calder run. I think his is a longer road, and Wallmark has his spot for now barring injury, I'd handicap his as a long shot out of camp. 

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

I guess boxing lessons really can't help if you get hit with a punch like that, and then a 230 lb guy fall on you.

He didn't need Boxing lessons, rather BRAWLING lessons, if he's going to go there.:dizzy:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, remkin said:

Kuok has an uphill battle coming off injury missing the whole Calder run. I think his is a longer road, and Wallmark has his spot for now barring injury, I'd handicap his as a long shot out of camp. 

Yeah, I see Kuokk as a real longshot this season, especially since he's on a 2-way and still waiver exempt.  But even longer term, I see him and Wallmark perhaps competing for the same spot.  That's just a feeling, I don't even know what it's based on. 

If it were to come down to Bishop and Goat this season I wonder if the fact that Goat is on a 2-way and waiver exempt might factor into the decision? (factor in, not decide it)  Long term, Goat obviously has a much higher potential ceiling, but Bishop has already proven that he can successfully hold down that 4th line spot.

I'm loving these "depth problems", btw.  We've come a long way from our best hope being a Chris Terry or Ryan Murphy.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1