The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Training Camp 2019

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

The depth really is impressive.  Now, if a couple of players can rise to the next higher level (including current NHLers like Svech and Foegele as well as prospects like Goat, Bean, Geekie, etc.), we should be legit Cup  competitors for a good while to come. 

Don't know why but I have a sense that Kuokk and Wallmark won't both be on the Canes together for any length of time.   

Yeah, I'm starting to see that too, with Kouk the odd man out. Wallmark has a bunch of NHL games now and while his +/- could have been better last year (-8), it was also his first full NHL season. Given the ice time he got 28 points is nothing to sneeze at, nor his 5 in 15 playoff games, perhaps an early indicator that the more pressure for him, the better. I think he can take a step this year, but that yeah, he probably has to if he wants to stay. More pressure. Let's see what he does with it.

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Yeah, I see Kuokk as a real longshot this season, especially since he's on a 2-way and still waiver exempt.

Kuokkanen is Cherry-Picker Central in Charlotte.  I don't see him fitting RB's criteria unless he learned to backcheck over the summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

If it were to come down to Bishop and Goat this season I wonder if the fact that Goat is on a 2-way and waiver exempt might factor into the decision? (factor in, not decide it)  Long term, Goat obviously has a much higher potential ceiling, but Bishop has already proven that he can successfully hold down that 4th line spot.

I think both make the team (again, early call). The only other forward prospect who has made me sit up and take notice so far is Luostarinen, and he has no AHL time yet. My guess is that we'll want guys from the bigger ice to have at least one year on NA ice before they play in the NHL. Aho didn't, but he is clearly an exceptional talent.

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

That's a lineup full of people that have to prove something to make the team.  The only players I see that are really sure things for making the team are Gardiner, Martinook, and McGinn.

Also, interesting that Goat is getting his 3rd straight game.  I might be reading too much into it, but I would guess he is truly on the bubble and RB wants to see all he can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cclifford10 said:

That's a lineup full of people that have to prove something to make the team.  The only players I see that are really sure things for making the team are Gardiner, Martinook, and McGinn.

Also, interesting that Goat is getting his 3rd straight game.  I might be reading too much into it, but I would guess he is truly on the bubble and RB wants to see all he can.

And several that have virtually no chance to make the team (Helvig, Shinkaruk, Gibbons, Markison). 

I'd agree with your take on Goat; the brass is looking at him very closely.

Also: if there is a "waiver loophole" (I'm pretty comfortable there isn't), it has now closed.  McKeown, Forsling, and Claesson are now for sure subject to waivers if they're sent down.  I didn't include Fleury as I can't realistically see the Canes exposing him.  If the Canes don't want him on the roster they'll trade him for something, even if it's a 6th round pick and a case of Gatorade (not that I think the return would be that low).

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

It was mentioned elsewhere, but at this point I'll stick with this. Bishop has a deeply grooved inside track to be the extra forward. I think that as it stands the "regular" line up spot is down to Necas and Gauthier. And it is a very interesting competition IMO. 

Necas has the higher ceiling and is by far the more creative, faster, and more disruptive player. I still stand by this guy as a potential star player. He has that "it" where he is visibly able to create in the NHL at a potentially elite playmaker. 

But Gauthier is farther along the development curve, with a full extra AHL year under his belt. The AHL is a good example of the long term head to head, which Necas is leading (factoring in one less year of development). Necas had no trouble with the AHL, Gauthier needed a year to get down being a professional pre NHL player. For a good while Necas was at a ppg right out of the box, despite stepping up in league and down in ice surface size. This is not easy, and I put a lot of stock in a guy handling the AHL his rookie year. (See Foegele). 

Year 1: Gauthier: 16G, .38 ppg.  Necas: 16G, .81 ppg. 

But, Gauthier is in year 2 where he put in 27 goals. Still, only 14 assists year 2, vs. Necas 36 assists year 1.

But we're talking this year, so the battle is between year 3 Gauthier and year 2 Necas (post AHL years). 

It's also interesting because them both being right shots is about the only thing they have in common. Gauthier is physically huge, Necas bigger than he was, but still a bit of a string bean. Gauthier's skill is putting puck in net and who rarely passes up a shot, while Necas is a dynamic playmaker who passes first. Gauthier has better hands than some might think, and can make plays near the net to get a good shot off, and he's big enough to park it there if he decides to. Necas is a free range smooth mover (himself and the puck). Necas can be a master passer, game thinker, while Gauthier is prone to passes to nowhere (though in tight Gauthier can make nice set up passes or centering passes).

Gauthier is the camp breakout guy, which puts the spotlight more on him. Necas is the it guy, that the media has already projected as our next big thing. 

Brind'Amour has said more positive about Gauthier for this camp to my ear, but he's mentioned (separately) that both guys have things to work on to translate their game to the NHL, and he has said many generally good things about Necas. Given the "n" of one season as HC, I see Brind'Amour going with one rookie, and then one guy with a more proven lower line NHL game (Bishop) vs two scoring rookies. Just a guess of course, but it is also because I don't think Brind'Amour wants the guy who misses to be sitting in the press box, but rather back in Charlotte on a top line. Just seems like Bishop might be the guy for the press box, occasional start.

I still put my nickel on Necas making it out of camp, but Gauthier has pushed himself right into the contest, and easily could win. I just think we haven't see the best of Necas. Gauthier has on other advantage IMO. He plays a simpler game. Necas has the potential to be a "sees the whole ice creative maestro, but that also can take longer to get down to fewer mistakes. Where as Gauthier, just needs to keep his game pretty simple and go make things happen near the net. 

Ultimately I see both guys getting substantial NHL games this year, and if there is an injury both guys could start out, but otherwise I'd bet on one or the other to start. In the longer term, the great news is that both guys, playing a very different game will probably be long term pieces of this team.

Also, while the marque battle is between Necas and Gauthier, there are a lot of guys on tonight's roster that are much better prospects than we've been used to having deep in our line ups:

Suzuki will not make the team this year, but this is a very high end kid. If he can learn the 200 foot game and compete level, this could be a Matt Barzal level steal late in the first. It will be interesting to see what he can do.

Jake Bean has been sort of buried in all of the D man news, but this is still a high end D prospect. While there may not be room for him this year, not sure we can keep him out next year.

Morgan Geekie. He came on so strong in Charlotte last year, that if this were a Cane's team of old, he might be pushing for a slot. I think he will get another year of AHL marinade, but this is a very good player who could be an early third round steal. This guy could pass right by Kuok this year.

Speaking of Kuok...this guy did not look out of place in preseason last year at all. I think his late season injury will keep him out of contention, and defer to realm on him being not a 200 foot guy, but he sure seemed to be looking good a year, even two years ago. 

McKeown. I guess in today's NHL, defensemen who excel at defense are not highly regarded (unless you're name is Pesce), but it is a shame that this guy hasn't even sniffed the NHL. Despite the +/- not being beloved, this guy was plus 64 the last two seasons, vs a median around +8. He was #1 on the team by +6 last year and #2, but ahead of #3 by +12 two years ago. He was frequently mentioned by our announcing crew as a standout during the Calder run. I don't know why he can't be a cheaper TVR TBH, and one that we home grew. Get him up, get  him NHL games, then trade him if need be. Anyway, he's on the roster today. 

I'd add in both goalies, and then Wallmark. Not because Wallmark isn't pretty much inked in, but because I'm very curious as to how much he can breakout this year. Not as a star, but as a bigger producer. 

And I want to watch Luostarinen because Top has liked him and I didn't see the first game, and he has an even weirder name than usual. 

Finally, I think there is still a battle royale for the last D spot if Faulk ends up being moved. I think Fleury is in. But Clausen vs McKeown vs Forsling for that last slot if Faulk goes. I think they've all looked solid. I guess Clausen is an obvious choice for a healthy extra spot either way. 

I think we might carry 8 D to start the season just to avoid the waiver.  There always early season injuries that would either make them more valuable to us or increase the trade market for one of them

23 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

I think we might carry 8 D to start the season just to avoid the waiver.  There always early season injuries that would either make them more valuable to us or increase the trade market for one of them 

That's a possibility.  Waddell also mentioned the possibility that we could start the season carrying 3 goalies until the backup spot becomes clear. Gotta believe the front office is really busy right now.

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

That's a possibility.  Waddell also mentioned the possibility that we could start the season carrying 3 goalies until the backup spot becomes clear. Gotta believe the front office is really busy right now.

I'm assuming waivers would factor in here? Ned down, Forsberg battling Reimer? 

I gotta say: last year's success with Mrazek plus veteran back up has to be inside track to Reimer. BUT Forsberg has some potential as a breakout guy who finds his game. He has shown flashes and is big and athletic, but at 26 probably is in "prove it" time. If Reimer and Forsberg both find their game and we like Forsberg, and Reimer becomes tradeable, we could free up cap space. 

Let's get crazy. If we moved Reimer and just say McGinn, then traded Faulk to Winnepeg, we'd free up $10.3M in cap space. We could probably fit Laine in. OR, just trade Reimer and then Faulk, that's $8.2M, room enough for Ehler's $6M/year AAV. Have to sweeten the pot for Ehler's - Faulk, but would be tempting. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

50 minutes ago, remkin said:

We could probably fit Laine in.

All of the discussion/distraction that seems to be building about this player, rem, I say PASS.

55 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm assuming waivers would factor in here? Ned down, Forsberg battling Reimer? 

I gotta say: last year's success with Mrazek plus veteran back up has to be inside track to Reimer. BUT Forsberg has some potential as a breakout guy who finds his game. He has shown flashes and is big and athletic, but at 26 probably is in "prove it" time. If Reimer and Forsberg both find their game and we like Forsberg, and Reimer becomes tradeable, we could free up cap space. 

Let's get crazy. If we moved Reimer and just say McGinn, then traded Faulk to Winnepeg, we'd free up $10.3M in cap space. We could probably fit Laine in. OR, just trade Reimer and then Faulk, that's $8.2M, room enough for Ehler's $6M/year AAV. Have to sweeten the pot for Ehler's - Faulk, but would be tempting. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

You might think so, but who knows?  Dundon showed last year that he'll pay an NHL salary for AHL goaltending, so if they think Ned might actually be ready now, as well as the long term answer in net for the Canes, I wonder if they might carry Ned for a while to give him a shot? 

I'm guessing that while Forsberg has potential as a breakout guy, he wouldn't have any appreciable value in a trade. Not sure if he'd get picked up off waivers or not.

Given his cap hit, would Reimer even get picked up off of waivers? I'd think we'd have to retain on him for any shot at trading him.  

Preseason Preview:  Canes v Caps by Michael Smith

Julien Gauthier, who will dress for his third straight game.

"We're giving him a chance to see what he can do. There's probably a good chance you'll see him again," Brind'Amour said. "You can judge in practice all you want, but it's a different animal when you get out there in a game. That's where you need to see these guys play."

Hurricanes Lineup

McGinn-Wallmark-Gauthier
Lorentz-Suzuki-Markison
Kuokkanen-Geekie-Necas
Shinkaruk-Luostarinen-Gibbons

Gardiner-Forsling
Bean-Claesson
Fleury-McKeown

Reimer
Forsberg

It looks like only radio tonight  WRALSportsFan.com

17 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Julien Gauthier, who will dress for his third straight game.

Hurricanes Lineup

McGinn-Wallmark-Gauthier
Lorentz-Suzuki-Markison
Kuokkanen-Geekie-Necas
Shinkaruk-Luostarinen-Gibbons

Gardiner-Forsling
Bean-Claesson
Fleury-McKeown

Reimer
Forsberg

Wow, that's a pretty weak forward lineup.  Outside of Bean and McKeown the D at least has NHL experience, even if they're our not our A listers.  I wonder if Brindy wanted a weaker lineup to make sure those two goalies get tested?  Sounds like we significantly limited shots against in the first 2 games.

I think it is great to test the yutes to see where their progress is. I think there is room for a few surprises to step up....4th line far from cast in stone. Regarding D...Good to test everyone... all good stuff.

58 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Wow, that's a pretty weak forward lineup.  Outside of Bean and McKeown the D at least has NHL experience, even if they're our not our A listers.  I wonder if Brindy wanted a weaker lineup to make sure those two goalies get tested?  Sounds like we significantly limited shots against in the first 2 games.

It is a chance to take another good look at the prospects. More training camp cuts will be coming soon. Although it is always nice to win I'm sure we are looking more at the prospects game and identifying their progress and what many need to work on. 

3 hours ago, remkin said:

Supposedly Buff has put in a huge offer for Laine.     The offer includes RHD Rasmus Ristolainen, forward Conor Sheary, and two first-round picks.

The deal would be contingent on an obvious extension with Laine. That's a big ask in my opinion and something the Canes should not even entertain. https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-buffalo-sends-mega-offer-to.html?m=1

Edited by slapshot02

58 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Supposedly Buff has put in a huge offer for Laine.     The offer includes RHD Rasmus Ristolainen, forward Conor Sheary, and two first-round picks.

The deal would be contingent on an obvious extension with Laine. That's a big ask in my opinion and something the Canes should not even entertain. https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/09/rumor-buffalo-sends-mega-offer-to.html?m=1

Well...I'm not a massive Laine fan to be sure, but Faulk plus McGinn, and we do have two first rounders this year so giving one up and one next year......throw in one of our extra seconds. If it comes down to Laine signing an extension, he might be more inclined to do it here with Aho and TT to play with. 

Plus Ristolainen is one of the few D men who make Faulk's plus minus shine. The guy is -143. And Faulk scores more goals.

Also not thrilled to see Buffalo get another 40-50 goal scorer...

It's not going to happen, but it would be interesting. We'd still get a first rounder this year, and Suzuki and Necas and Gauthier coming up..

5 hours ago, remkin said:

OK, now that I've taken some bandwidth. Is this game being streamed somewhere?

A few times a year I get the benefit of living in the viewing area of the Caps. Got the game on Fox sports Washington right now

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

Not to beat the dead horse, but man imagine if the Canes could have gotten that much for more-talented Skinner...

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

It's on NHL TV, but best I can tell you have to buy at least a one month pass for $25. I sprung for it, and I'll try to post some thoughts.

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I think it is great to test the yutes to see where their progress is. I think there is room for a few surprises to step up....4th line far from cast in stone. Regarding D...Good to test everyone... all good stuff.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

It is a chance to take another good look at the prospects. More training camp cuts will be coming soon. Although it is always nice to win I'm sure we are looking more at the prospects game and identifying their progress and what many need to work on. 

To me it looks like they're auditioning Goat on what could well be the actual 4th line this season.  One line putting the more promising Chex together.  And two lines that are more or less a "parting gift" to the forwards playing on them.  I'm not complaining; I'm aware that this is about ascertaining what we've got to work with more than anything else.