The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cclifford10

Predictions

Its always fun to speculate leading into a new season so I thought I would start a thread focused on season predictions.  

Everybody is talking about the canes defense, but I predict the Canes will be a top 10 offensive team this season.  Last season Columbus was the tenth highest scoring team with 256 goals scored.  Below is my goal scoring predictions.  For now it includes Faulk.

Aho - 35

Svech - 30

Turbo - 25

Haula - 20

Dzingle - 20

Necas - 15

Staal -15

Foegele -15

Nino - 20

McGinn - 12

Martinook - 8

Walmark - 10

Hamilton - 17

Slavin - 10

Gardiner - 7

Pesce - 10

Faulk - 12

TVR/Fluery - 5

That is 286 goals for, which would have tied Toronto for 4th in team scoring last season.  I don't think any of these predictions are out of the question and some may actually be a little low?

I made some similar predictions on here somewhere, but not sure where. But overall I think your predictions are very reasonable for each guy, but as a group a couple of guys usually fall off their highs. That said, if everyone up there hits those numbers we'd be near the very top of the league with more than 286 goals because a few guys will come up and pot a few, typically around 8-10 goals. We'd hit around 294, which would be second only to Tampa. That is not impossible, but would require everything to come together. 

You have Aho, TT, and Pesce on new career bests, but not crazy. IMO Staal, Dzingle and Haula will outperform your numbers. 

Imagine if we added Kase?

But I've gone on in several places about our incredible depth with our skaters, at least, (but possibly in goal too). It really is something I've not seen here since the cup team. Even last year did not start with as much depth as we can roll out there this year. 

So predictions. I predicted we will score more goals than last year. But I'll go on to say we will score more goals than 2/3 of the league, or say around 260 goals and comfortably break 3 goals/game average. I would not be at all surprised if we came close to your 286, but again, it would all have to really come together. 

I was going to post something about which guys are likely to take a jump up vs fall back, but really I can only project a couple of guys to possibly fall back (maybe Turbo on total points, and Nino, maybe Hamilton in goals, but that's just because they did so well last year). So then I wanted to focus on guys who should jump up this year. But on that note, I've mentioned the obvious Svech and slightly less obvious Foegele, both of whom came on late and in the playoffs, which are great signs, more than once, and I've been pretty high on Necas. So that's all out there. 

I've discussed my excitement for somewhat lower key but nice potential bumps up from Dzingel and Haula. Covered already. 

The potential synergy to bump the PP from Haula, Dzingle and finally a PP QB in Gardiner? Check. Discussed. 

But one under the radar guy who could put up much better numbers this year? Jordan Staal. 

Brind'Amour will tell anyone who listens that Jordan is the ultimate undervalued guy. He's even called him the best player on the team. And everyone on this board knows of the guy's character, and puck possession, faceoff prowess, and two way game, a lot of underrated type things. Take out his first shortened season here, and over 6 seasons on a stubtantially minus team, he has managed to be an even player, despite checking the top centers in the league. 

Really though it's just a matter of staying healthy. Jordan scores .21 to .24 goals/game like clockwork, basically double his replacement if he's out. 

I think Jordan will be the de facto 3C. The media talk like he's the 2C and poor Haula relegated to 3C. But my opinion is that Haula will end up drawing the more skilled offensive wingers. Haula, in his last full season, scored .38 goals/game just missing 30 goals. Jordan has never done that.

But outside of bragging rights for which line you center, it actually makes me feel better about Staal in the 3C role. The top tier point production for a 3C is 15 goals and 40 points. Staal beats that in an average year. Oh, and does all of the other stuff. 

So it gets back to depth. And we have it.

Good stuff from over at Hockeybuzz....must be true right?!

Todd Cordell

John Hynes will be a Jack Adams finalist.

He’s not publicly recognized as an above average coach – many fans have actually called for his head at different times throughout his tenure – but I think he is a really sharp guy. He just hasn’t had much to work with.

Luckily for Hynes, this year is a much different story. Jack Hughes, Nikita Gusev, Wayne Simmonds and P.K. Subban are joining what was already a pretty good, (mostly) young, core led by Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt, Kyle Palmieri, Damon Severson and Will Butcher.

Voters always love the feel good stories where a coach leads a non-playoff team back to the promise land. I think Hynes will be able to do that this season, and I think he’s going to get a lot of votes as a result.

Sean Maloughney

Some people felt the last round wasn't bold enough so here we go.

The Hurricanes win the Metro.

The Bunch of Jerks made a number of smart good trades over the past year and have one of the most talented young forward cores in the league paired with a talented D core. Svechnikov is entering his second year and his numbers in year one suggest he will take off this season, especially with more top 6 time. New additions Nino Neiderietter, Dzingel and Haula will provide the secondary scoring and just to double down, Aho will finish top 5 in league scoring.

James Tanner

My bold prediction for the Metro is that the New York Islanders finish dead last in the NHL. It will demonstrate that their 100 point season last year was one of the flukiest things to ever happen in the NHL, and give Lou Lamoriello a result that equates perfectly to his skills as a manager in today's game. The Carolina Hurricanes will win the division by a wide margin, and the Flyers will make the playoffs.

I'm certain of exactly one thing: Aho with the hattie on opening night, to prove Les Habitants put BS words in his mouth over the summer, about being excited to join them.

For what it's worth Dom at the Athletic's model has the Hurricanes winning the Metro this year. He hasn't posted our breakdown yet, but he put up the Pens today and they were projected 2nd in the Metro. 

On 9/14/2019 at 9:21 AM, cclifford10 said:

Its always fun to speculate leading into a new season so I thought I would start a thread focused on season predictions.  

Everybody is talking about the canes defense, but I predict the Canes will be a top 10 offensive team this season.  Last season Columbus was the tenth highest scoring team with 256 goals scored.  Below is my goal scoring predictions.  For now it includes Faulk.

Aho - 35

Svech - 30

Turbo - 25

Haula - 20

Dzingle - 20

Necas - 15

Staal -15

Foegele -15

Nino - 20

McGinn - 12

Martinook - 8

Walmark - 10

Hamilton - 17

Slavin - 10

Gardiner - 7

Pesce - 10

Faulk - 12

TVR/Fluery - 5

That is 286 goals for, which would have tied Toronto for 4th in team scoring last season.  I don't think any of these predictions are out of the question and some may actually be a little low?

Okay, I know I'm a little late but here are mine.  I do agree with most of those but I will add tweaks here:

Aho: Agreed

Svech: 25 (factor in possible sophomore slump)

Turbo: Agreed

Haula: 25

Dzingle: 25

Necas: Agreed

Staal: 20

Foegele: Agreed

Nino: agreed maybe 25

McGinn: Agreed

Martinook: I'd say 10 (if he plays on 4th line all season, same as last season if he moves to 3rd)

Wallmark: Agreed

Hamilton: After last season I'd think he'll get 20

Slavin: Agreed

Gardiner: Agreed

Faulk: Agreed (not with team but I understand your predictions included him with team).  In his place I'd say Edmundson gets 3

TVR/Fleury: Agreed