The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

On 6/10/2019 at 5:39 AM, Kyrule said:

I think Wallmark is a borderline NHLer, and a fourth line center at best. His skating is poor and it really holds him back. He and Karlsson are nowhere near the same caliber of player.

We need to find another center to go along with Aho and Staal, that would push Wallmark down to the fourth line or the press-box. I believe this year his contract is a one-way.

Necas will likely start on the wing if he sticks. 

Agree with all of this (as I often do Kyrule, other Foegele caller). 

Posted similar in a longish post in the Calder Cup thread. 

The more I think about it, and the more I listen to Brind'Amour waffle on Aho as the 1C, the more obvious it is that our biggest need (assuming we figure goalie out) is a skilled center, ideally a distributor that can charge up the PP too. 

Based on this table from pension puppets: https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2011/9/27/2452941/common-misconceptions-how-much-should-that-forward-score, Jordan Staal, actually does come close to average 2C numbers, but the difference between average and poor on that metric is small, and some seasons he falls to poor. Average 2C is 49 points, 19 goals. Jordan has been just under that most years. But J brings the D too. 

But if J was the 3C, he'd be one of the best. "Good" 3C numbers are 40 points and 15 goals. Jordan beats that year in and year out, and I still think he has bigger upside when he gets his mojo going. He would be the best 3C in the NHL probably.

Interestingly even last year with a tail off at the end, Aho put up "good" 1C numbers. Good is 34 goals, 85 points. Aho did 30 and 83. OK just off that, but well above the average of 70P 27G. And Aho was hurt the last 20 games. We are good at 1C.

3C: Wallmark was below the cutoff for "poor" 3Cs: 31 points, 12 goals was considered poor and he's below that.

If we can find a good 2C and push Jordan to 3C, while boosting the PP, we will rock down the middle. (And a wing too).

The numbers for a good 2C: 53 points, 21 goals. But a poor 1C is 60 points, 23 goals. So a guy that is say 58 points, 20 goals, (36 assists) would be great as one of the best 2C's not in a twin tower city (Pittsburgh, Edmonton). That would be #3 on the team in assists after Aho and Turbo, and better than most "good" 2C's. 

Those guys are out there. Can we get one? If so, we'll be in very good shape.

• Like 1

You people realize that Wallmark had his rookie year  right ?  and you all come off like he has been playing with the canes for years .  Let the kid develop  with us ! instead of losing faith and thinking that  he would never get better as a player how about try giving  a guy a chance .   Keep in mind ,  During that stint when  Staal was out due to injury  Wallmark stepped  up and Showed signs he can play the role  of a shut down center .   That is incredibly difficult to do and especially  on the penalty kill  .    A  Freaking rookie did that for us and  you all turn your nose up like it's nothing .   *edit* ???  I say give the kid  another 2 years   and then see how things pan out .  No reason to poop sandwich the bed before sleeping in it yet ! 

Edited by Canesfanforever

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

You people realize that Wallmark had his rookie year  right ?  and you all come off like he has been playing with the canes for years .  Let the kid develop  with us ! instead of losing faith and thinking that  he would never get better as a player how about try giving  a guy a chance .   Keep in mind ,  During that stint when  Staal was out due to injury  Wallmark stepped  up and Showed signs he can play the role  of a shut down center .   That is incredibly difficult to do and especially  on the penalty kill  .    A  Freaking rookie did that for us and  you all turn your nose up like it's nothing .   *edit* ???  I say give the kid  another 2 years   and then see how things pan out .  No reason to poop sandwich the bed before sleeping in it yet ! 

You realize we aren’t selling off Wallmark. I only said that the only center we would have to offer for Zucker. Either way Wallmark needs to be our 4C not the 3C

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Karlsson is a solid 2 way guy and was 10th in Selke voting last year.  

That's not the kind of close im talking about .   Im strictly talking close like Barkov  / O'rielly  / Bergeron  kind of close . 

2 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

That's not the kind of close im talking about .   Im strictly talking close like Barkov  / O'rielly  / Bergeron  kind of close . 

Except those guys arent on sale right now because their team can’t afford them.

we need a 2C. Its either Karlsson at 7-7.5, Pavelski for the same but 3 years, Duchene at 9.5, or get Haula for a year.

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

You realize we aren’t selling off Wallmark. I only said that the only center we would have to offer for Zucker. Either way Wallmark needs to be our 4C not the 3C

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Now if we got Karlsson from Vegas maybe we could do a deal around Wallmark and a good prospect. Although I don’t think they would accept that.

I'M pretty sure you   were talking about Karlsson  .   Nice try . 

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Except those guys arent on sale right now because their team can’t afford them.

we need a 2C. Its either Karlsson at 7-7.5, Pavelski for the same but 3 years, Duchene at 9.5, or get Haula for a year.

No on Karlsson ,  Pavelski  is staying with the sharks and he is 35 ,  No on Duchene and also  Duchene is not worth 9.5 , are you serious ? lol   and  Maybe on Haula  !  

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

No on Karlsson ,  Pavelski  is staying with the sharks and he is 35 ,  No on Duchene and also  Duchene is not worth 9.5 , are you serious ? lol   and  Maybe on Haula  !  

Who is the 2C then?

also, yes, Duchene will get between 9-9.5.  Gross overpayment but that is the market now

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Who is the 2C then?

also, yes, Duchene will get between 9-9.5.  Gross overpayment but that is the market now

That should never be Carolinas market . Let other Gm's be stupid  and Sign huge contracts and pay the price in doing so .  I'd  like the canes being  smart with their cap space so  they dont run into any problems in the future .  And you are asking  who the canes should be looking at for center ?  Why not Anders Lee  or perhaps  Kevin Hayes  ?  I dont know why philly would waste   a 5th round pick on a guy  who is still a UFA   and as for NYI  who knows if Anders Lee   stays with the islanders but  he  could easily be replaced from the islanders because of the talent they have there .  

There is a line between giving up on Wallmark and trying to get better. There is a price to staying with a guy who never gets there too. Yes, he was a rookie. And that's been mentioned by me and others. I also mentioned that Wallmark has more upside than McKegg IMO. But he is not the answer to improving the PP, and this is the position we have the most apparent need. 

Wings: TT, Williams, Svech, Nino, Foegele, Necas, Martinook, McGinn are set IMO.

Thus, I agree that the best thing is probably to move him to 4C. Let him show something from there, but bump up the skill at 2C and 3C by adding that guy. BTW that guy is not Duchene for me. He does make offense, but he is less steady two ways, and he may be a locker room issue. Paying him the mega bucks is a bit like paying that to Skinner IMO. 

I'm looking for a 50-55 point, 30 assist type guy who at least plays two ways decently, and is paid at that rate. Kevin Hayes would be pretty much that guy except for the pay part (I know we will not get him, but just the prototype). Ryan Dzingel was on that pace last year too. RNH was there, but last year moved to better. That would be a huge upgrade, but probably no longer available. But if we could.....

OK the Oilers probably can't trade RNH anymore now that he broke out a bit. BUT maybe....if there were a deal to package a D man and get him, he'd be even better than I imagined...

Just dreaming for a moment on RNH, because rumor is that this guy could have been had in the past. Playing with McDavid pumps anyone's numbers, and now it's nearly impossible to see Edmonton trading him, but it would be a "sell high" thing. I think he did a lot of scoring on McDavid's wing, and his numbers would probably normalize a bit as our 2C, but we do have some really nice wingers for him (Svech, Nino, TT, etc). He put up 28 goals and 41 assists (69 points). HUGE jump for him. Though he was on a similar pace in an injury shortened year before.

At 2C for us that probably falls back some, but still, as mentioned, we don't have McDavid, but we do have skilled wingers. Say he puts up 25 goals 35 assists. 60 points. That is just perfect. That is just under first line numbers and exceptional second line numbers.

He's at $6million/year for 2 more years, hopefully could re sign him at some point. He just turned 26. 

OK, Edmonton isn't looking to trade him anymore, but man, he'd be worth going for even if we have to give to get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

That should never be Carolinas market . Let other Gm's be stupid  and Sign huge contracts and pay the price in doing so .  I'd  like the canes being  smart with their cap space so  they dont run into any problems in the future .  And you are asking  who the canes should be looking at for center ?  Why not Anders Lee  or perhaps  Kevin Hayes  ?  I dont know why philly would waste   a 5th round pick on a guy  who is still a UFA   and as for NYI  who knows if Anders Lee   stays with the islanders but  he  could easily be replaced from the islanders because of the talent they have there .  

As far as the bolded- because they plan on signing him and want a 4 week negotiating head start.

I don’t think we should sign Duchene but the list is the available 2Cs. Lee will be re-signed shortly as Lou won’t allow 2 captains to walk.

I do see Lou trying to move a defender to make room and overpay Duchene. They will be really tough down the middle with Duchene, Lee, and Nelson.

reinforcing the need for a solid 2C like Karlsson.

I like Wallmark but Geekie looks like a very suitable / better replacement if Wallmark could get us a 25 goal scorer like Zucker.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I like Wallmark but Geekie looks like a very suitable / better replacement if Wallmark could get us a 25 goal scorer like Zucker

Im head over hills in love with Geekies  game  .  I think the Canes went above and Beyond  picking him up and Recently signing  That defenseman   Sellgren .  Deeply impressed  with those guys .   other notables are Roy ,    Poturalski , Kuokkanen , And of Course Necas .   I think this year  a few of those  baby jerks become men  on the canes roster .  Everyone else i didnt mention might need more time in development  .   As for goalie ? well  if Mrazek can be signed to a reasonable contract  and also for McElhinney  , then do it .  But if not then this is the year the Canes  really should consider bringing up  Ned to the main Roster  and letting him in as a possible Back up  for who we can keep .  I think it's in Mrazeks  best interest to want to stay in Carolina  and for a reasonable cost but i could see him  checking the market out and possible  signing a contract with another team if he is not happy with what we want to pay him .   Would it hurt the canes ?   It would sting but  the canes would manage to get by .   McElhinney seems like he wants a home to stay put  and at his age  he is not   checking out who would be the highest bidder for his services .  

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Moved all the Skinner talk to the “Once we were Canes” forum

Sorry about that, GoCanes. I should have dragged myself over there....

And here I was about to comment to Rem's post with the name of that 55 point guy is Jeff Skinner.  Not sure who we will sign TBH.  Maybe Brobosvky and a 55 point guy?

Ok, I am going to throw a name out there and please don't bash me. I am still learning where you guys get your info and how you are looking at things, so please, just tell me what you think.  The name is:  Braydon Point (Lightning).  His numbers are crazy and while Tampa will probably sign him, do you think there is a way would could pick him up? 

Thanks for your knowledge!

28 minutes ago, Goalieman_nc said:

Ok, I am going to throw a name out there and please don't bash me. I am still learning where you guys get your info and how you are looking at things, so please, just tell me what you think.  The name is:  Braydon Point (Lightning).  His numbers are crazy and while Tampa will probably sign him, do you think there is a way would could pick him up? 

I think we would all love Point.  TB will sell their farm to move Palat, Miller, and Callahan before they let Point walk.

• Like 1

Carrick put out on Twitter it has been a great way 5 years in Charlotte and what a way to end it.  

I assume we wont qualify him and he’ll become a free agent.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goalieman_nc said:

I agree with GoCanes that Tampa won't let him go. He's been mentioned as an offer sheet target, but those are much talked about, almost never happen, and only once worked. He's exactly what we need and he'd put us to the top instantly. But it is very very hard to see how we could get him.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Carrick put out on Twitter it has been a great way 5 years in Charlotte and what a way to end it.  

I assume we wont qualify him and he’ll become a free agent.

Possibly   but  that all depends on what he is looking for .  I can only speculate what team would have need of his services  in the nhl  and not be  used as just a  7th d-man  .  And last time i checked  there is a few teams looking for a defenseman of his skill sets to play with them  next season . The   Hurricanes pretty much have those positions filled   up .  

Carrick's chance of cracking the big clubs lineup is about zero! Fleury, Bean, and even McKeown are ahead of him on the depth chart; and unless we make a trade to open a spot, only injuries to TVR and de Haan will give them an opportunity next season. He's pretty solid performer, so I hope he finds an NHL roster spot in the future.

Per mynhltraderumors.com Pierre Lebrun believes we are shopping Hamilton but not Pesce. I looked at his Twitter and couldnt find it so maybe he said it on tv/radio. Anyway, what are your thoughts? If we are trading him we need a MEGA forward IMO. Any D that can get almost 20 goals nets you little/nothing unless the forward you get in return is good for 30+ goals IMO. If we trade him for Zucker, for example the total gain in scoring is zero. The ONLY situation  maybe where this isnt the case is if we get a second line center that allows Staal to move down to the third line. However, the only center we are rumored to want doesnt want us (Kadri).

Also the website says this about Ferland:

"According to Evolving Wild, the forward’s projected salary is approximately four years at an AAV of about $4.18 million. Unfortunately, the late-season swoon hurts his chances at a bigger payday."

I think that sounds right $$$ wise. Dont know why we cant get a deal done. Waddell said this week though that he hasnt had communication with Ferlund's agent. 

3 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Also the website says this about Ferland:

"According to Evolving Wild, the forward’s projected salary is approximately four years at an AAV of about $4.18 million. Unfortunately, the late-season swoon hurts his chances at a bigger payday."

I think that sounds right $$$ wise. Dont know why we cant get a deal done. Waddell said this week though that he hasnt had communication with Ferlund's agent. 

Because we’d be at 75 million without improving the squad.