Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Recommended Posts

I see three possibilities if we aren't talking. We have no interest, or we've put a number out there, Pawn Stars style, and Ferland did not like it. I think $4 million for him is fair. It's possible we even offered him something like that, but he didn't like it. Or #3, we're really looking to get through the draft, and see what deals we can make before looking at Ferland. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 11:12 AM, remkin said:

The more I think about it, and the more I listen to Brind'Amour waffle on Aho as the 1C, the more obvious it is that our biggest need (assuming we figure goalie out) is a skilled center, ideally a distributor that can charge up the PP too.  

 

This is a little bit concerning. Are there any centers out there with the physicality of J. Staal, but with better scoring touch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

 

This is a little bit concerning. Are there any centers out there with the physicality of J. Staal, but with better scoring touch?

If you can find a way to wake him up  then yes  Malkin !  Another would be Kopitar !  And another  after that would be Couturier  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Because we’d be at 75 million without improving the squad.

He is essentially Ruutu and this is the deal we gave him ten years ago... I dont understand your point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

If you can find a way to wake him up  then yes  Malkin !  Another would be Kopitar !  And another  after that would be Couturier  

NO ****ING WAY on Malkin.  He is a goon and an Uber punk!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

If you can find a way to wake him up  then yes  Malkin !  Another would be Kopitar !  And another  after that would be Couturier  

I really doubt either Malkin or Couturier has an interest in Raleigh, and although there was a time I really really would have loved Kopitar, I think his time has come and gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

He is essentially Ruutu and this is the deal we gave him ten years ago... I dont understand your point. 

After all the expected moves, we’d be at 75 million without improving the scoring on the team if we keep Ferland.  

 

and yes he is Ruutu and has just as much of a chance to be a burden with this next contract.

 

i don’t see Ferland as someone who returns to a this non-ceiling spending team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

With the Blues Binnington going to get paid this offseason, would Allen be available?  

Possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No to Allen...he was the main reason they were in last place in January and Binnington came in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

No to Allen...he was the main reason they were in last place in January and Binnington came in 

While true, the question is Allen vs Nedeljkovic? Seems we don't have a lot of choices? Hopefully we can acquire someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came across some guy on youtube who thought  that the canes would trade  one of our goalies "  probley ned "  for James neal .  and the funny  part is this was coming from a preds fan !?!?!?!?  What ?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 7:31 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Because we’d be at 75 million without improving the squad.

I agree with GoCanes! Ferland is a fierce player but injury prone. We need more consistency with scoring than physical play. If we want physical, we can get it at a cheaper cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eberle signs five year contract with Isles, most “experts” thought he was leaving. Financial terms unknown.

 

Niskanen traded to Flyers for Gudas. Flyers will retain salary on Gudas. Niskanen is 32 and is signed for two more years at 5.75 million per. I believe this is the last year on the Gudas contract.

 

Caps freeing up cap space (no pun intended).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Eberle signs five year contract with Isles, most “experts” thought he was leaving. Financial terms unknown.

 

Niskanen traded to Flyers for Gudas. Flyers will retain salary on Gudas. Niskanen is 32 and is signed for two more years at 5.75 million per. I believe this is the last year on the Gudas contract.

 

Caps freeing up cap space (no pun intended).

Eberle signed for 5 x 5.5 mil per

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading where Pierre McGuire keeps insisting that the Canes are ready to move on from Dougie? I hope not, as I really saw him settle in on the back half of the season. Guess if Faulk is getting close to signing then the cards may be dealt but I surely would like to trade him for our 2C need, not Dougie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Reading where Pierre McGuire keeps insisting that the Canes are ready to move on from Dougie? I hope not, as I really saw him settle in on the back half of the season. Guess if Faulk is getting close to signing then the cards may be dealt but I surely would like to trade him for our 2C need, not Dougie.

I agree not wanting his scoring to go away, but the only way I see trading him being worth it is if we get our legit 2C. That would allow us to get more from our second and third lines by moving Staal down to third. Anything less and Im skeptical. Or maybe even for a goalie/multi player trade? But things get cloudy there....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmonton is looking to move Jesse Puljujrvi. Granted it hasn't worked out for him with the Oil; but he's not the only first rounder that underperformed up there. He played with Aho, in the Finnish league, and in the world juniors, and was the 4th overall pick in 2016. A low risk deal would be sending one of our 1st round underperformers, Hayden Fleury,  in a hockey trade, straight up.  Sometimes a change of scenery can be good for both players and teams in a trade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think...

Nino-Aho-TT

Svech-2C-Williams

Foegs-Staal-Marty/Necas

Saku-Wallmark-Mcginn

 

Slavin-Pesce

DeHaan-Faulk

Fleury-TVR

Bean

 

Or something like that...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, AssistantGM said:

Edmonton is looking to move Jesse Puljujrvi. Granted it hasn't worked out for him with the Oil; but he's not the only first rounder that underperformed up there. He played with Aho, in the Finnish league, and in the world juniors, and was the 4th overall pick in 2016. A low risk deal would be sending one of our 1st round underperformers, Hayden Fleury,  in a hockey trade, straight up.  Sometimes a change of scenery can be good for both players and teams in a trade. 

I've always been intrigued with the idea of getting Puljulrvi cheap and turning him around. I still have some intrigue with the idea, but I think even Fleury is overpayment. Fleury has not been great, but he's been more functional than Puljujarvi. True Fleury is 2 draft classes older, but he's also a D man who take longer, and he's been held back on ice time by a very deep D here. 

 

I do like the concept of trading underperforming picks for each other, but only if we've seen something in the guy we're getting. 

 

Puljujarvi has 17 goals and 37 points in 139 NHL games. That pro-rates to 10 goals and 22 points over a full season. For a guy whose job is to score. I can still see the little smirk on Jarmo Kekalainen's face as he passed over his countryman, who was ranked 3rd overall, to pick Pierre Luc Dubois. And WHAT a move that was as Dubois put up 27 goals, 61 points last year. I'd let Jarmo pick for us. And to my eye Puljujarvi skates weird. Hey, guys have different styles and I haven't watched that much, but I don't usually notice that, so it's something. 

 

Still, he was a very high draft pick and at one point had some OK numbers buried in his numbers (ice time, zone starts, etc, someone showed he was more productive than he seemed, but that was before last year). Maybe one of our high seconds and a B prospect, or something. There is upside, but a LOT of downside, even if he did like playing with Aho in Juniors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Just think...

Nino-Aho-TT

Svech-2C-Williams

Foegs-Staal-Marty/Necas

Saku-Wallmark-Mcginn

 

Slavin-Pesce

DeHaan-Faulk

Fleury-TVR

Bean

 

Or something like that...

I like the forwards. But I hate losing Dougy. That's 18 goals from the back and a top pairing guy. 

 

That 2C, would have to be upper range 2C for me to smile at it. For me that's 60 points and 25 goals. Less than that? Don't trade Dougy for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand why the canes would trade Hamilton.  If so, why make that trade with Calgary at the draft?  Losing Ferland and having to trade Fox already is making the trade not look too good from a Canes point of view.  I still believe that Dougie was the best player in the trade.  No need to move him especially with TVR and Dehann out for extended period of time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW on 99 the fan today:

 

DW's points:

 

Keep our guys under contract that we want to keep.

Ned: Could play here next year.  DW would prefer him to be one of the three capable of starting as he has one more year of waivers eligibility.

2 UFA goalies: have exchanged numbers with both.  Didnt say we were close on either.  "Still have work to do on both of them."

DW hopes JW would have a better answer about playing or not over the next 2 weeks.  Not necessarily signed but helps to know whether we need to add 1 or 2 guys on the roster.

DW has had several conversations with Faulk's representation about an extension.  JF's reps havent given the Canes a number.

DW said that the guys we had were great this season but we werent good enough.  We will look to improve goal scoring for next season

DW wants to get Aho's contract done today.  We want a 8 year deal with Aho, no bridge deal or 5 year deal.  Been that way since November.  Will talk more at the draft.  No timetable.

 

My recap: we are looking to add 1 guy in the goal scoring column.  May go for two if Justin doesnt come back and it doesnt sound like Justin is any closer to making a decision.  Based on DW's tone, I think we've had a lot of movement in getting Aho re-signed.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

I like the forwards. But I hate losing Dougy. That's 18 goals from the back and a top pairing guy. 

 

That 2C, would have to be upper range 2C for me to smile at it. For me that's 60 points and 25 goals. Less than that? Don't trade Dougy for it.

Not only that, but as rem is pointing out, scoring from the back end spreads out the opponents defense, thus if you don't have it, all of opponents defense can be concentrated toward forwards? Now saying that, if Bean could replace that scoring then that might work.

 

But then as iceman says, the Calgary trade really looks like a bust unless we got an outstanding 2C, as in final analysis that trade would Lindholm/Hanafin for the 2C plus 2 2nd rounders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...