The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

DW wants to get Aho's contract done today

go, I'm confused here. Was the reference to "today" using that term meaning ASAP or literally TODAY? Going on then you say, "will talk more at draft", so I'm assuming DW was not being literal in saying "today"?

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

go, I'm confused here. Was the reference to "today" using that term meaning ASAP or literally TODAY? Going on then you say, "will talk more at draft", so I'm assuming DW was not being literal in saying "today"?

DW wants the deal done now but it isnt.  DW said him and Aho's reps will talk more at the draft.  To answer your question I think he meant ASAP when he said today. 

3 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

Edmonton is looking to move Jesse Puljujrvi. Granted it hasn't worked out for him with the Oil; but he's not the only first rounder that underperformed up there. He played with Aho, in the Finnish league, and in the world juniors, and was the 4th overall pick in 2016. A low risk deal would be sending one of our 1st round underperformers, Hayden Fleury,  in a hockey trade, straight up.  Sometimes a change of scenery can be good for both players and teams in a trade. 

From my perspective the problem is that Pulju becomes subject to waivers this year.  That means we'd need to keep him on the Canes roster or likely lose him to a "shallower" team and sacrifice whatever we gave up to get him. If we had less depth, I might take that risk, but given the kids we currently have in our system I wouldn't want to "commit" a roster spot to Pulju at the cost of Fleury.  If we could get him cheaper it might be worth a shot . .

Edited by LakeLivin

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/whos-the-next-jordan-binnington-the-top-10-ahl-players-poised-for-an-nhl-breakout-in-2019-20

Article on AHL "veterans" who might break out this year ala Binnington for the Blues.  Two Checkers made the list.

Andrew Poturalski, C, 25 (Carolina)
There might not be a single player who was more impressive when it mattered in the AHL this season than Poturalski, an undrafted center with four years in the organization. And sure, a good season at 25 may scream “career AHLer” in the vein of Darren Haydar, but Poturalski’s rise this season was quite impressive. He smashed his previous career-high point total of 52 two seasons ago with a 70-point campaign before scoring 12 goals and 23 points in 18 playoff games en route to Charlotte’s first Calder Cup. As an unrestricted free agent, Poturalski, who played two games with the Hurricanes in 2017, could earn a spot in a team’s bottom-six next season and it would be wise for the Hurricanes to keep him around for some added scoring depth for next season.

Alex Nedeljkovic, G, 23 (Carolina)
The Hurricanes are expected to roll with the same goalie duo they had this season, but Nedeljkovic’s fantastic season with Charlotte could make things interesting. A second-round pick in 2014 (37th overall), Nedeljkovic took a few years to find his game, but after winning the Calder Cup and the top goaltender award (after leading everyone in wins for the second consecutive season), the time is right to give him a shot. His one NHL start with the Hurricanes this year resulted in a victory, but the team still needs to sign the pending RFA to a deal.

4 hours ago, AssistantGM said:

Edmonton is looking to move Jesse Puljujrvi. Granted it hasn't worked out for him with the Oil; but he's not the only first rounder that underperformed up there. He played with Aho, in the Finnish league, and in the world juniors, and was the 4th overall pick in 2016. A low risk deal would be sending one of our 1st round underperformers, Hayden Fleury,  in a hockey trade, straight up.  Sometimes a change of scenery can be good for both players and teams in a trade. 

I would like that trade for both teams....pending the health of TVR and CdH.

I brought up Poturalski deserving a shot a bit ago. It went over like a lead balloon. I think of a Derek Ryan late bloomer type. I do think it will be hard to crack our lineup and if we do go get a 2C, pretty close to impossible. 

The more I think about Puljujarvi, the more I think not. Even if they gave him to us, he'd have to push someone out. But who?

Then I think about a guy we already have in Charlotte, Jullian Gauthier. Gauthier's 27 AHL goals project to 13 NHL goals. That's three more than Pulji has projected over 82 games per year. I don't see much in Puljujarvi's game that is any smarter than Gauthier's game. And at least Gauthier hasn't been tested in the NHL. He might be much better. Puljujarvi has been tested in the NHL, and not so good. 

Gauthier's AHL numbers compared to Puljujarvi's are better year for year in goals, and about the same in points. 

And Puljujarvi plays little D and isn't physical. He was injured a good part of last year too. 

He is an interesting project, because he has serious skill and might just need a confidence reboot and a change in scenery could help and I guess reuniting him with Aho, but that means top line. Really, the best thing would be to let him go to Charlotte, but I don't think that's an option. 

I think we'd have this problem, where to play this guy. He's not a grinder, defensively responsible or physical. So he has to be in the top 9. But especially if J Williams is back, and we make a move for a 2C, we are full up. 

Hard to see it working, and to me, he still skates funny.

28 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hard to see it working, and to me, he still skates funny.

Edited 20 minutes ago by remkin

Well we can't have any of that, hahaha

Purely for speculative discussion purposes, Cardiac Cane made a trade proposal. I'd do it, but I doubt Edmonton would. For the record, I'm find myself shaking my head a lot at Cardiac Canes, and mostly don't go there as much as Canes Country, but for the discussion mill:

A blockbuster trade with Edmonton: https://cardiaccane.com/2019/06/14/carolina-hurricanes-edmonton-is-the-perfect-trade-partner/

In sum:

To Edmonton: Pesce, Fleury, Saarela, McKeown.

To Carolina: Draisaitl, Lucic, Puljujarvi.

I cannot imagine the Oilers trading Draisaitl. I've wanted us to get this guy even before it was obvious to most how good he was. I would make this move as fast as Waddell's signature dried on the Nino-Rask deal. It would make us perma contenders for years (assuming we keep goalie under control). We'd have perhaps the most desirable "2C" in the game. Frankly it would make Aho the 2C. 

I just can't imagine the Oilers doing it.

I wouldn’t want any part of the horrible Lucic contract. That is contract is horrible.  Maybe if there was only a year left, but not with the term left on it.

So Edmonton moves half their offense and doesn’t get any back?  Yep, Rem, ain’t happening.

On top of that they have 8 defenders on NHL contract next year, giving them three more doesn’t make sense.

trade proposals like this is why I haven’t read cardiac on a regular basis.

Edited by gocanes0506

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

From my perspective the problem is that Pulju becomes subject to waivers this year.  That means we'd need to keep him on the Canes roster or likely lose him to a "shallower" team and sacrifice whatever we gave up to get him. If we had less depth, I might take that risk, but given the kids we currently have in our system I wouldn't want to "commit" a roster spot to Pulju at the cost of Fleury.  If we could get him cheaper it might be worth a shot . .

I think Pulij is not someone I want to waste any assets on. He is slow and a very poor skater and to this point is not producing. We can do better than to take on a project for a guy who is a miss.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Purely for speculative discussion purposes, Cardiac Cane made a trade proposal. I'd do it, but I doubt Edmonton would. For the record, I'm find myself shaking my head a lot at Cardiac Canes, and mostly don't go there as much as Canes Country, but for the discussion mill:

A blockbuster trade with Edmonton: https://cardiaccane.com/2019/06/14/carolina-hurricanes-edmonton-is-the-perfect-trade-partner/

In sum:

To Edmonton: Pesce, Fleury, Saarela, McKeown. 2019 2nd round pick, 2020(?) 1st round pick

I cannot imagine the Oilers trading Draisaitl. I've wanted us to get this guy even before it was obvious to most how good he was. I would make this move as fast as Waddell's signature dried on the Nino-Rask deal. It would make us perma contenders for years (assuming we keep goalie under control). We'd have perhaps the most desirable "2C" in the game. Frankly it would make Aho the 2C. 

Rem, you forgot the 2 draft picks from the Canes.  Even with those, that proposal is ridiculous.  How does something like that even get published, lol?  (I know, because the internet) 

Draisaitl just put up 50 goals and 105 points on one of the worst teams in the league.  At 23yo he's already one of the top centers in the NHL.  Value wise you could start with Slavin and add and the Oil would still decline because they are currently even more shallow on offense than defense (McDavid, Drai, RNH, maybe Chiasson, and then?).  Imo, any halfway realistic trade proposal for Drai starts with Aho (or maybe Svech) and adds to the point of overpayment, which the Canes shouldn't do.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

So Edmonton moves half their offense and doesn’t get any back?  Yep, Rem, ain’t happening.

On top of that they have 8 defenders on NHL contract next year, giving them three more doesn’t make sense.

trade proposals like this is why I haven’t read cardiac on a regular basis.

I don't see it either. From their end. 

I'd take Lucic's salary if it meant getting Draisaitl. All of it is to get Draisaitl. That is a 1C really. We could trade all non Necas prospects and just about our entire draft if we had that guy. In fact, throw in draft picks and prospects not named Ned, Bean or Necas too, because put Draisaitll on this team and goalie is the only issue for years.

EDIT, Lake, they can have the draft picks too. Frankly we won't need them.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

In sum:

To Edmonton: Pesce, Fleury, Saarela, McKeown.

I would be happy if Slavin and Pesce were Canes for their entire careers.  I agree the team needs to improve to get to the next level, but dealing Pesce is a move in the wrong direction.  Lucic and Puljujarvi are two assets that are not going to help.  So, while Edmonton might not pull the trigger on this deal, I say hurray.

We are going to get better.  A few of those Charlotte Checkers are going to grow into NHL players, and good ones.  We need to make one Dman for Oman trade, and if the team signs Faulk to an extension, then the obvious candidate to barter with is Hamilton.  Yes, he came on late in the season.  That just raises his trade value.  One good trade could be the key to the offseason.

Yeah, but a true 1C pushing Aho to 2C and Staal to 3C. I don't want to trade Pesce either, and he's clearly the piece of that that is giving to get, but Draisaitl is big and top of the league skill. If we could keep the band of Aho, TT, Svech and Draisaitl together? Wow. And that doesn't even include Necas or Staal. We would have the best top 10 forward in hockey. Hell, we'd have 4 point per game forwards. 

Just for fun:

TT-Draisaitl-Williams

Nino-Aho-Svech 

Necas-Staal-Foegele

Martinook

Just breaking it down more in my dreams: Draisaitl is already a top 1C, Aho would be a top 5 2C, and Staal might well be the best 3C in the game. Then Svech will be one of, if not the most elite power forward. Necas will be amazing, and TT is already a ppg slick winger. Fold in some Nino and Foegele with more offense (my prediction), and maybe one more year of Williams? I mean, how is that not amazing? How about some Martinook? 

But we'd still have Slavin, Dougy, DeHaan, Faulk, TVR and Bean.

Heck we could even let Lucic bang around on the fourth line before we eventually buy him out. 

I'd miss Pesce, but come on! 

It won't happen, but come on.

I could be wrong, but trying to be objective as possible I don't think the Canes have a player they wouldn't give up for Drai.  And that includes Aho, Slavin, and Svech, painful as losing any of them would be.  But it's kind of a moot point, because neither the Canes nor Oilers make a "hockey trade" for one of those 4 (it would require a significant overpayment on the part of a trading partner, imo).  

If that deal on Cardiac Canes were available I'd take it so quickly it would make your head spin! :twilight-zone::spin:

Edited by LakeLivin

I dont think Carolina is getting the type of return they want on a defender move.  I think that is why we have seen them pull back on that some.

I hope we could get a guy like Pavelski if SJ really is going to offer Karlsson 11 million a year.  SJ would have 13 million in cap space with 5 roster spots to fill and Meier and Lebanc to re-sign.  

Lebanc put up 56 points while only getting 14 minutes a game.  Unless, SJ goes bridge on both of those Dudes would Lebanc be available as well?  

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

Says their offering "secondary forwards". I'd argue we don't need those and certainly not for the names they want on D. (Faulk, DeHaan, Hamilton), 

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

Remkin, you voted for Faulk didn’t you?

Voted for him for? 

If you mean the guy I'd trade, yes. But that is made much harder by the fact that he had a great year and only has one year on his deal, and we have so many good D men. But Faulk for Saad was proposed in the past, though I'd argue it has not aged well, though I guess it's not crazy, IMO we need a center.

• Like 1

I was just messing with you Rem.

Not sure what is going to happen with our D, but I’m ok with keeping our defense intact. If we can’t go the FA route, I would be offering our #1 pick (and others) along with prospects to try and get the help we need.

We put together an impressive D-corps, they are relatively young, and we have control over them/have them under pretty good contracts for the next few years with the exception of Faulk and TVR (and DW said he is looking to extend Faulk).

Defense and hard work became the identity of our team, our strength. I know we need scoring help but unless we land a Big Fish, then I would just as soon keep our group together. My general feeling is that despite our recent success, that our defensemen are still under-valued by other GM’s.

Also, I don’t understand how the defenseman that has scored the most goals in the NHL over the last two seasons keeps getting his name thrown around. Not only that, when it is thrown out there, it’s like he’s just a guy, a decent player. The suggested returns I see for him are laughable, especially when you consider what we gave up to acquire him.

Makes no sense.