The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

14 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Y'all seem to have serious problems with reading comprehension. 

Wot?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Donnie Waddell was on 99.9 last week and stated (paraphrasing) -  We [the Canes] want an 8-year deal with Aho, no bridge deal or 5-year deal. That has not changed since November. He also stated that the two sides will talk more at the draft. He has no definitive time table to get a deal done.

From that interview I take it that from the Cane's perspective, it's all now about how much the contract will be and the details of structuring the contract (front loaded or not, bonuses, etc.).

Aho may be thinking something different - I have no idea - but I doubt he's interested in a bridge deal either.  Why wouldn't he be wanting max term at the most $?

I think a big potential reason you’re seeing these young players pushing for shorter term contracts like 4-5 yrs are because the cap keeps rising, and the salaries are getting higher.  So by signing for 8 years, they see it as being able to get a higher salary after 4-5 years, so they’d be shorting themselves in the future.

If the Hurricanes’ endgame is to sign an 8 year contract, they’re going to end up giving Aho a lot more than they probably want too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Donnie Waddell was on 99.9 last week and stated (paraphrasing) -  We [the Canes] want an 8-year deal with Aho, no bridge deal or 5-year deal. That has not changed since November. He also stated that the two sides will talk more at the draft. He has no definitive time table to get a deal done.

From that interview I take it that from the Cane's perspective, it's all now about how much the contract will be and the details of structuring the contract (front loaded or not, bonuses, etc.).

Aho may be thinking something different - I have no idea - but I doubt he's interested in a bridge deal either.  Why wouldn't he be wanting max term at the most $?

Yup.  I can't see Aho not wanting to max out the length because of the locked in money.  It's one idea to bet on yourself and think you'll be able to cash in even bigger, but that's a huge risk unless he's just unhappy with the situation in Raleigh.  I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe that.   Also, people need to keep in mind the coming lockout after the 2021/2022 season (or if the NHL stupidly opts out this Sept 1).  Agents are negotiating a lot more signing bonus money over salary for those years.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-lockout-2020-labor-negotiations-signing-bonus-connor-mcdavid-contract/16aq0q9hfyyvg1ipcr83kublgz

Gm's are going crazy with these big spending sprees .   As long as the canes dont follow the trend   the canes should be alright .   Why do i get the feeling after what i just said is going to be  " a few moments later "    and the canes screw up ? lmao 

I'd rather bet big on a long term contract with a rising 21 year old star than a 30 yo UFA. If we give Aho 8 years, he'll be hitting 30 at the end of his deal. It is a good bet that he'll still be very productive then. Of course it's a bet, but everything's a bet really. I really don't know what Aho is looking at, but the comparison with Draisaitl, seems apt at $8.5 million AAV, though prices are rising, so let's say $9 million for 8 years. 

Seems like a lot. And it is. Now. But even 5 years from now, that could be a solid bargain for a top 15 offensive player that also plays both ways, let alone the last 2 years. Top guys will probably be at $15 million/year by then or soon after.

By comparison, look at what San Jose just did signing Eric Karlsson to $11.5/year for 8 years. He'll be 35-36 in the last two years of that deal, and in his 30's for 7 of the 8 years. 

Aho will be signed to an 8 year deal before camp, IMO. We just can't let that fester. Right now we're just trying to negotiate. 

I guess Karlsson’s wife didn’t miss her family near Ottawa that much.

Hell, with that kind of money just clone her family, or better yet, have multiple wives to fill the void if she leaves.

💵 talks.

14 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Hell, with that kind of money just clone her family, or better yet, have multiple wives to fill the void if she leaves.

💵 talks.

Big money buys first class, and even better, private plane charter flights.  So, no problem.

A Trade proposal thrown on out on a message board and posted on Yahoo sports:

Hurricanes get:

- Kadri 4,5M/yr 3yrs

- Nylander 6,96M/yr 5yrs

Leafs get:

- Brett Pesce 4,025M/5yrs

- Julien Gauthier

- 2020 1st

- 2021 2nd

I guess Kadri would have to waive his NTC to here.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Hurricanes get:

- Kadri 4,5M/yr 3yrs

- Nylander 6,96M/yr 5yrs

Leafs get:

- Julien Gauthier

- 2020 1st

- 2021 2nd

I dont like this deal at all !   giving up way too much  imo . also kadri is a scum bag .  i dont want scum bags on the canes  roster ! This trade would be a perfect example of what Failing teams do .   say no to it ! 

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Hurricanes get:

- Kadri 4,5M/yr 3yrs

- Nylander 6,96M/yr 5yrs

Leafs get:

- Julien Gauthier

- 2020 1st

- 2021 2nd

No...****ing...way!!!

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Hurricanes get:

- Kadri 4,5M/yr 3yrs

- Nylander 6,96M/yr 5yrs

Leafs get:

- Julien Gauthier

- 2020 1st

- 2021 2nd

I'd love to have Nylander on the Canes.  No thanks.

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Hurricanes get:

- Kadri 4,5M/yr 3yrs

- Nylander 6,96M/yr 5yrs

Leafs get:

- Julien Gauthier

- 2020 1st

- 2021 2nd

No thanks.  Two guys the Leafs are trying, to some extent, to get rid of to create cap space in exchange for a very good defenseman on a good contract, a 1st round power forward finally ready to contribute, and two future nice draft assets.  No, no, and furthermore, no.

• Like 2

Man I hope we get to fleece a cap strapped team or two like the Rangers did to Winnipeg.

a couple of games of Hayes and Poink for Trouba.  

18 hours ago, Kyrule said:

💵 talks.

Living in the best climate in the world doesn't hurt either.

• Like 1

The metro team below the Canes are stocking up.  Florida is going to be better after free agency.   Going to be another mad scramble for the playoffs next year.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 9:46 AM, coastal_caniac said:

Speaking of reading comprehension......maybe we just don't agree with you.

Which is fine, too.

But if we've been wanting to sign him to a long-term deal since November and it hasn't happened yet, what do you think the problem is? Maybe it's one of the things you list:

On 6/17/2019 at 9:57 AM, coastal_caniac said:

How much the contract will be and the details of structuring the contract (front loaded or not, bonuses, etc.).

Or maybe it's one of two things that you don't: NMC/NTC. Four years into his new deal, Aho is eligible for either one. 

Annnnnd... another argument for a bridge deal. Give him a three-year deal at the money he wants now, and a written guarantee of re-opening/extending after the second year, and it seems to me both sides get what they need now without in any way limiting their ability to get what they want later.

Call me a belt-and-suspenders guy, but if we learned nothing from the Eric and Cam years, surely we learned this much?

Edited by top-shelf-1

TSN was saying that the Jets contacted DW regarding a trade: Ehlers for one of our RHD.

Also, Vancouver is rumored to be offering their 1st rounder (10th) for a solid D-man. 

23 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

TSN was saying that the Jets contacted DW regarding a trade: Ehlers for one of our RHD.

Also, Vancouver is rumored to be offering their 1st rounder (10th) for a solid D-man. 

Interesting. 25/30 goal guy if he can stay healthy. Good size. Young. I'm listening. 

There is some chatter, so take that for what it's worth, but that can't be bad thing. I don't get the impression we're  going to sit on our hands in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by sleekfeeder
  • Like 1

The last thing we need is more draft picks.  Unless we make the deal with an eye on moving WAY up or using it to acquire a top 6 scorer, no thanks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I could see him for Faulk. straight up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

The last thing we need is more draft picks.  Unless we make the deal with an eye on moving WAY up or using it to acquire a top 6 scorer, no thanks.

I’d be ok with shipping an excess D man and prospect to Vancouver for their 10th overall and flipping our other first for a scorer

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Interesting. 25/30 goal guy if he can stay healthy. Good size. Young. I'm listening. 

There is some chatter, so take that for what it's worth, but that can't be bad thing. I don't get the impression we're  going to sit on our hands in the next couple of weeks.

We had better not...cause the teams beneath us in the Metro (save Columbus, which is about to become a dumpster fire) are making some solid moves this off season

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

I wouldn't mind the number 10 pick for Fleury. Don't think that is what they had in mind, but if they would bite on that I would do it. Flipping the number 10 plus for a higher pick seems way more possible than flipping 28, and if we can't flip it we have a good shot at landing the best goalie prospect in the draft.

If they are trying for anyone better than TVR, then I thank them for the offer and move on.

• Like 1