The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

There is a silence before a possible storm called "Setting the Cap".  If it gets set under 83 Mill as rumoured all Hell might break loose.  Those with space vs those without.  We are in a good place and I am willing to bet a businessman will work this to advantage.  Well see soon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

When is the cap set?

Last year was the 21st.  so soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Darling hasn’t been bought out because we don’t have a 3rd goalie on contract.

That's exactly what I'd read, gocanes.

And rem, I think I'd read somewhere that the Cap will be set in the next few days? Seems they should do it prior to draft, no, and that way allow for some moves being made around draft? That would seem most humane, but perhaps they aren't interested in "humane"?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

If the cap is 1.5 million lower, a few teams are going to crap themselves.

Golden Knights for 1 apparently who are said to be at $83.1 mil presently. Lets see, do they have an extra goalie we could take off their hands? 

Random goalie thoughts:

1. No way Darling is being counted on for anything after he couldn’t even get a start in Charlotte the last 3 months of last year. After everything he did last offseason to prepare himself and still crapped out, surely there is no thought of keeping him on any basis.

2. I wasn’t happy with Mrazek as our FA pickup last year and he had a very good year. 

3. Mrazek can’t talk to other teams until June 23 if I’m not mistaken. What he is hoping for and what is really out there may not be the same. I don’t think we are out of the running for him yet. He just didn’t take whatever we offered without testing the market.

4. Mac will be in demand as a backup, including probably back in Toronto. He was never likely to come back to Raleigh. If he does, great, but don’t expect it.

5. Ned was goalie of the year in the AHL. I suspect management is comfortable with him as a backup if nothing better presents itself.

6. Most importantly, I’m pretty sure Waddell and company know we are toast without solid goaltending and have a plan in place. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

He just didn’t take whatever we offered without testing the market.

And who could blame him.

Corey Perry bought out by Ducks.

If JW doesn’t come back maybe he could be a cheap veteran/leadership option. I think he will still be in demand IF he’s healthy.

4 hours ago, iceman11 said:

Seriously, the Canes don’t want to pay anybody.

Or, the Canes have never had this much talent that they're going to have to pay, pretty much all at once.

Budgeting is complex. There's a difference between paying someone and paying someone stupid money. IMO, paying Aho like he's already McJesus--he isn't--would be stupid at this stage. He's 21 and tiny. His heart is huge, he has the best hockey head of anybody on the team, and he wants to win, but all that--and $5--will get you a tall Frappucino. After he's got two more years of the grind under his belt, 20 more pounds of muscle on his frame, and has proven he can be what we need him to be year in and year out? Fine, let's get stupid. 

Paying Mraz like a #1 when he has never been anything like one, and when the league-wide trend is increasingly toward having two good keepers instead of a Lundqvist and a prayer? Also stupid.

I'm surprised at how quickly many of us seem to have forgotten that this is a mid-market (at best) franchise. It can't count on gate to float the boat. If we start throwing money around like Edmonton, we'll guarantee that we're approximately as successful as Edmonton. If, on the other hand, we plan carefully and make sure guys are all in and structure contracts with the longer-term obligations coming in mind (Svech, Ned, Geekie, maybe Necas), we'll have the talent--and the money to pay it--to ensure being very good for a very long time.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cc said:

And who could blame him.

Not me. He’ll probably never be in a better negotiating position. But the fact remains he started less than 50 games last year, and hasn’t been able to hold the crease anytime in his career. If someone wants to give him Darling term and money based on last year, I hope it’s not us (and I’m happy for Petr). I still hope after he sees what’s out there he comes back to us on a better deal for the team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I concede these very good points gocanes, but after a taste of a year in which the goalie question took a back seat, I pray there's a plan B as rem calls it as I surely don't think Ned is ready for a full NHL season, and God help us if Darling comes back?

Let me add that if M & M leave, I hope DW is formulating a plan to move up in the draft and pick up Spencer Knight?

I don't believe there is any chance (zilch, zero, nada) that Darling is being considered at all for a spot on the Canes roster.  His numbers in Charlotte were terrible, and if it was not for his contract he probably would have been demoted from there. 

Edited by reelpirate5

54 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Or, the Canes have never had this much talent that they're going to have to pay, pretty much all at once.

Budgeting is complex. There's a difference between paying someone and paying someone stupid money. IMO, paying Aho like he's already McJesus--he isn't--would be stupid at this stage. He's 21 and tiny. His heart is huge, he has the best hockey head of anybody on the team, and he wants to win, but all that--and $5--will get you a tall Frappucino. After he's got two more years of the grind under his belt, 20 more pounds of muscle on his frame, and has proven he can be what we need him to be year in and year out? Fine, let's get stupid. 

Paying Mraz like a #1 when he has never been anything like one, and when the league-wide trend is increasingly toward having two good keepers instead of a Lundqvist and a prayer? Also stupid.

I'm surprised at how quickly many of us seem to have forgotten that this is a mid-market (at best) franchise. It can't count on gate to float the boat. If we start throwing money around like Edmonton, we'll guarantee that we're approximately as successful as Edmonton. If, on the other hand, we plan carefully and make sure guys are all in and structure contracts with the longer-term obligations coming in mind (Svech, Ned, Geekie, maybe Necas), we'll have the talent--and the money to pay it--to ensure being very good for a very long time.

I dont always agree, but when I do, its 100% on the above. IMO Aho still has some growing to do, and though Im a Pete Maz fan, Im not sold on him as the number 1. I actually thought Mac was the better number 1. 

So, assuming that Mrazek and McE are gone. Any thoughts about how we intend not to slip back to worst in the league goaltending?

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Golden Knights for 1 apparently who are said to be at $83.1 mil presently. Lets see, do they have an extra goalie we could take off their hands? 

VGK as you mentioned

Pens would have 4.8

TBL 5.3 needing a RHD and 4 RFAs

TML have 7.4 with all the needs and RFAs

SJ, Calgary, Capitals, Arizona!!!!, and Oilers would be in a hard place to improve their roster with 1.5 million less.

1 hour ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Mgmt has shot off #1 contracts a few times in recent memory that worked out (cough, cough) real well. 

As Pamlico said, we don't always agree, but do this time.  Nice post.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, remkin said:

So, assuming that Mrazek and McE are gone. Any thoughts about how we intend not to slip back to worst in the league goaltending?

Lehner?  Subban is probably going to come available as the Knights are up against the cap big time.  Other than that, I’m drawing a blank 

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Subban is probably going to come available as the Knights are up against the cap big time. 

image.png.fce014b508f398573a9741e0abf4b3cf.png

4 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Lehner?  Subban is probably going to come available as the Knights are up against the cap big time.  Other than that, I’m drawing a blank 

Broboskvy.

6 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Broboskvy.

Don’t think he has the slightest interest in coming here, plus $10 million x 7 years is a little out of our budget. Maybe DW is looking at a trade, though I’ve no idea for whom. Or maybe he’s counting on Mrazek coming around if an offer for stupid money doesn’t come his way by July 1st. He finished the year well and had a nice run in the playoffs but still did not start 50 games (has he ever?). And he’s struggled with consistency his whole career. Not sure the market for Petr is what he expects. I do hope the plan is not to limp from one reclamation project to another year after year. The combination of what Mrazek and McE gave us barely got us into the playoffs. Any step back in goal and all the other moves are not going to be enough.

20 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Broboskvy.

Left Bob off cause it’s just not happening...