The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

Boy, Vegas is in deep trouble.  Already up against a cap number that may be coming down and only have 19 people signed (12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 1 goalie).  Don't have William Karlsson (RFA) or Subban (RFA) signed.  Don't see them moving Subban since it would provide no cap relief, they need a backup and Subban likely won't cost much.  How are they going to free up enough cap space to re-sign Karlsson?  Do they somehow get relief if Clarkson is left on IR, retires or is bought out?  He hasn't played in 3 seasons.

43 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

In other news, Pujujarvi’s agent has come out and said he wants a trade 

They get: 

Fleury

Kuokkanen

Our first (#28)

We get:

Puljujarvi

Their first (#8)

Just spitballin'

Remember back when I said maybe the goalies would make it easy on us and make the decision for us? Well.........not quiiiiiiiiiiiite what I was looking for. This just got really interesting and not in a good way.

I never got the feeling Mraz would walk over money. McE maybe. Mraz , no.

Edited by sleekfeeder

If you are a free agent in control of your destiny of course you explore it. Waddell knows this.

I think the big difference this year was goal tending.  A big starter is testing UFA and we just made it to the ECF with a super young team and our AHL team just won it all.  10m be dammed.  I would go after Brob and he is probably is considering us.

15 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I think the big difference this year was goal tending.  A big starter is testing UFA and we just made it to the ECF with a super young team and our AHL team just won it all.  10m be dammed.  I would go after Brob and he is probably is considering us.

I hope you're right BD. He's a goodun'.

18 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I would go after Brob and he is probably is considering us.

Very much doubt this, and quite frankly I wouldn't want him.

19 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I would go after Brob and he is probably is considering us.

CB62D7DB-E491-40B3-A675-13A9CC054558.gif

• Like 1

Varlamov?  But he's coming off a $5.9m AAV contract. Wonder how much he's willing to come down from that number?

Edited by LakeLivin

4 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Yeah probably not but why wouldn't we want a Vezina wining goalie? I'm confused on that.

BD’s assertion that Bob is considering us 

58 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Why is this so far fetched?  We are one of the few teams that needs a numerou uno, we have the defense, and we have the cap.  I'm inclined to beleive if he comes here we are propelled into Stanley cup contention. 

Edited by bluedevil58

10 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Why is this so far fetched?  We are one of the few teams that needs a numerou uno, we have the defense, and we have the cap.  I'm inclined to beleive if he comes here we are propelled into Stanley cup contention. 

Because we are so far down the list of teams requiring his services...he’d have to get the doors blown off by our offer to even consider it.  And given how we will be apprehensive after the Mongo debacle...it just ain’t happening!

13 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Lehner?  Subban is probably going to come available as the Knights are up against the cap big time.  Other than that, I’m drawing a blank 

How about Varly?

The Avs rode Grubauer in their last playoff series, albeit to elimination, but Grubs had better numbers than Varlamov on the year. Plus, the Avs just re-upped Francouz.

Varlamov would give Svech a buddy from the motherland. He's 31 and a UFA. If he's seriously expecting anything like the $5.9 million/yr. he's coming off of, he's not living in the real world. And if he can give us about the same number of games he did the Avs last year (49) Ned would get a real good taste of the NHL (assuming Mraz doesn't come back). Could be a perfect and affordable transition to Ned. 

9 hours ago, cc said:

If you are a free agent in control of your destiny of course you explore it. Waddell knows this.

I agree, but think Roddy's (unrealistic) expectations about team cohesion and commitment and loyalty could mean the door for Petr is already closed.

51 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

How about Varly?

The Avs rode Grubauer in their last playoff series, albeit to elimination, but Grubs had better numbers than Varlamov on the year. Plus, the Avs just re-upped Francouz.

Varlamov would give Svech a buddy from the motherland. He's 31 and a UFA. If he's seriously expecting anything like the $5.9 million/yr. he's coming off of, he's not living in the real world. And if he can give us about the same number of games he did the Avs last year (49) Ned would get a real good taste of the NHL (assuming Mraz doesn't come back). Could be a perfect and affordable transition to Ned. 

I like Varlamov as an option but I don’t know that he is going to accept the Canes offer. If I were guessing, they are looking for a guy that will accept a 2 year, in order to make room for Ned as the starter. The backup we’d sign to a one year deal.  That way we have a slot for Ned next season.

We could also find a starter for one year then have a backup on a multi year deal.  I don’t see V fitting in either scenario.

Isn't Cam Talbot out there? Not that he' a veteran goalie, but maybe an option? I'm not sure what to do here. This seems like a big mess and like we would be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back if we regress in goal. I agree with BD here. It was a stronger point to our season and something we didn't necessarily have to worry about, and it helped pave the way to the post season. 

11 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

And I'll add, Why should Bob coming out of a market similar to ours, where he appears to have been adored, come to this area? Having the "defense" and the "cap" as bd58 framed it likely isn't enough to attract him. I for one relish HCRB's sense of loyalty and if he is disenchanted with Mrazek's apparent lack it as top has suggested above, than I would bet Bob is a "no go".

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

Isn't Cam Talbot out there? Not that he' a veteran goalie, but maybe an option? I'm not sure what to do here. This seems like a big mess and like we would be taking 1 step forward and 2 steps back if we regress in goal. I agree with BD here. It was a stronger point to our season and something we didn't necessarily have to worry about, and it helped pave the way to the post season. 

Talbot may be a 1 year cheap deal reclamation.  I would want a solid backup with Talbot.  Miller or Smith seem like a good one year option to me as well.