The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

From Pro Hockey Rumors today:

... Frank Seravalli of TSN reports that Carolina GM Don Waddell is “getting calls left and right” on their right-handed group, especially Brett Pesce who the Hurricanes do not want to trade.

...The Hurricanes are in a prime position as the draft approaches. The team found success on the ice this season, but still have four picks in the first two rounds and plenty of cap space to play with. Add in an overflowing prospect pool and more quality NHL defensemen than they can ice on any given night, and Waddell could have the rest of the league eating out of the palm of his hand on Friday night.

Good...address the goaltending and scoring please 

edit: and if anyone brings up Pesce’s name, HANG UP

Edited by AWACSooner

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Interesting because listening to Friedman, he speculates the cap will stay low for two more years, then, with the new TV deal, pop up in year 3. Would some guys want a shorter term thinking to catch the wave 3-4 years out? Maybe Marner.

Makes a guy like Ehlers, locked up for 6 more years at $6 mill look even better.

Now, that wouldn't surprise me a bit. That, and a possible lockout when the CBA expires (or sooner, if weird things happen) in a couple of years is bound to have some effect. We've seen the lockout possibility in some free agents' requests for more signing bonus and less salary.

19 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Now, that wouldn't surprise me a bit. That, and a possible lockout when the CBA expires (or sooner, if weird things happen) in a couple of years is bound to have some effect. We've seen the lockout possibility in some free agents' requests for more signing bonus and less salary.

And that part irritates me.  No work should equal no pay.  

Yah, that sucks big time.  But the Bolts also just freed up cap space because of it

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah, that sucks big time.  But the Bolts also just freed up cap space because of it

I assume they free up space October 2nd.

I will say one thing that would really make me happy, if Justin decides he's had enough, I would love to get Corey Perry. He would definitely change the face of this franchise and give that twerp, Brad Marchand a run for his money in the Eastern Conference. I've had my eye on him for many years, and think his experience could be invaluable to our team. Wouldn't that be a coup, and further I read thatches' got a "burning desire" to go for another Cup. Wonder?????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

And that part irritates me.  No work should equal no pay.  

If this is the way your contract is written, you get paid.  Simple

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I will say one thing that would really make me happy, if Justin decides he's had enough, I would love to get Corey Perry. He would definitely change the face of this franchise and give that twerp, Brad Marchand a run for his money in the Eastern Conference. I've had my eye on him for many years, and think his experience could be invaluable to our team. Wouldn't that be a coup, and further I read thatches' got a "burning desire" to go for another Cup. Wonder?????

I posted the same thing as soon as Perry was bought out, even talked about replacing JW’s leadership. So yeah, I agree. 

Having said that he may be a nice, more affordable add, but I don’t want him to be the scoring forward we still need. I want a more long-term solution in that regard.

If Perry can still skate, sure he would be interesting.  I think that may be his problem now.  They don't have to be Connor McDavid, but they can't be Jaromir Jagr either... I actually would inquire about Jesse P. fro EDM and see if we can use a second rounder and a B-prospect to get him.  Maybe there is some Finn connection that will bring out his best.

And think about this, we have a #1 defensive pairing signed through 2024 for 9.3 Million combined!!!  (Slavin and Pesce).  That is a very enviable position that most teams want to be a part of.  I would not even discuss either guy unless an all-star forward was coming our way (Draisaitl for instance)....  

34 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

I posted the same thing as soon as Perry was bought out, even talked about replacing JW’s leadership. So yeah, I agree. 

Having said that he may be a nice, more affordable add, but I don’t want him to be the scoring forward we still need. I want a more long-term solution in that regard.

I seem to keep stepping on people's toes Kyrule. Sorry I did not see yours but suppose that means that Perry would seem at least 2 jerseys if he became a Hurricane?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

What a worthless piece of you know what---- Ek keeps pushing the notion that Aho is going to get an Offer Sheet, giving it an E4? I hope that if that were to occur, Dundon would come out with guns blazing and start offer sheeting everyone we could?

Edited by KJUNKANE

FWIW, TSN says Edmonton inquired about acquiring Mrazek’s rights and was turned down because DW and Mrazek’s agent are still talking. Man, would I feel better if there was a deal done by tonight.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

What a worthless piece of you know what---- Ek keeps pushing the notion that Aho is going to get an Offer Sheet, giving it an E4? I hope that if that were to occur, Dundon would come out with guns blazing and start offer sheeting everyone we could?

Surely we would match whatever is offered, but that won’t generate any warm fuzzies between the team and Aho for the long term. Seems like we are having trouble signing almost anyone dating back to TD taking over the team. But TD himself made Aho the face of the franchise a year ago. It just looks like we are developing a reputation for driving a hard bargain. Not always a bad thing, but we can’t just trade everyone who needs a contract. Especially not Aho.

Oilers would make sense for Mrazek.  New GM was GM for wings when Mrazek was there.  Hopefully Waddell can still sign him before it’s too late.  

Doesn’t really make sense, they just gave Koskinen a three year contract worth 4.5 million per year.

That was a surprise to most and I doubt they are looking to/can move that contract.

1 hour ago, iceman11 said:

Oilers would make sense for Mrazek.  New GM was GM for wings when Mrazek was there.  Hopefully Waddell can still sign him before it’s too late.

I'm sure Mrazek would jump at the opportunity to play behind that tire-fire of a defense, team, and organization.

Also, seriously - Corey Perry?  No offense, but I laughed when I read some would like him here.  He's a *edit* for one, he can't skate, and he's not played in a year.  Which boxes does he actually check?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Also, seriously - Corey Perry?  No offense, but I laughed when I read some would like him here.  He's a *edit* for one, he can't skate, and he's not played in a year.  Which boxes does he actually check?

As much as I know you are right about the negative checkmarks coastal, still I've liked him for reasons I suppose that some like Marchand? And if his skating had to do with "knee problems", I can think of one other player we'd given up back when, following 2 horrendous knee injuries, and he went on to not only 2 more Cup championships but now is revered in our organization!!! Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

As much as I know you are right about the negative checkmarks coastal, still I've liked him for reasons I suppose that some like Marchand? And if his skating had to do with "knee problems", I can think of one other player we'd given up back when, following 2 horrendous knee injuries, and he went on to not only 2 more Cup championships but now is revered in our organization!!! Just a thought.

But he was also significantly younger and doesn’t have polarizing play 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

But he was also significantly younger and doesn’t have polarizing play 

True AWACS to both, but I know Justin's injury at the time was said to be both medial and lateral collateral ligaments. No matter how young, that is a difficult injury to recover from, and ends many athlete's career? Don't know anything about Perry's injury.

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Perry could be the short-term Ferland we hoped Ferland could be, until we can get to Goat. But even if we get him, I'll hate his Marchard/Pronger-esque ability to irritate. I prefer hockey to pro wrestling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Perry could be the short-term Ferland we hoped Ferland could be, until we can get to Goat. But even if we get him, I'll hate his Marchard/Pronger-esque ability to irritate. I prefer hockey to pro wrestling.

Maybe they blow it up and are willing to trade Getzlaf. That I would be interested in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I said if JW leaves and IF he is healthy. He recently turned 34 and JW just put up his best season in years with 53 points at age 37.

Perry’s point totals in recent years:

55 (in 67 gp)

49 (in 71 gp)

10 (last year when he was injured)

Ferland’s career high is 41.

If he is healthy I see no reason why he can’t be a 50 point guy and he plays with an edge. 

Like JW he is not a gifted skater, never was, yet he puts up points. And where does he score most of his goals? In front of the net.

Normally I am 100% against bringing in an older guy like this, but I think Perry can still play at 34.

Like I said, it may be an option if JW hangs them up and he can be had for cheap.

It’s not like any other FA’s want to come here.

The Hockey News posted an article, five possible destinations for Corey Perry, and the first one listed, the Carolina Hurricanes.

Chicago and Nashville have already publicly stated interest, which means this is a moot point because that means he’s not coming here.

Edited by Kyrule