The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Trades, Player moves and Free Agency

13 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

The rumor was posted on Hockey Buzz but was attributed to Kypreos on XM. Don’t know who he is and I can’t believe there’s anything to it, but like last year, it does not seem we can get anyone signed. Are they all unreasonable? Aho, Faulk, Mrazek, McE ? This is concerning.

Kypreos is former Hartford winger and sports commentator for Sportsnet. He said Aho turned down the $6 mil for 8 years offer. Eklund attributed the Aho trade rumor to someone in the Vancouver Canucks org saying "I was told"

I do share your concern that we haven't been able to sign anyone but still early days

4 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Kypreos is former Hartford winger and sports commentator for Sportsnet. He said Aho turned down the $6 mil for 8 years offer. Eklund attributed the Aho trade rumor to someone in the Vancouver Canucks org saying "I was told"

I do share your concern that we haven't been able to sign anyone but still early days

Well, that makes me feel better but did we think Aho would take $6 million for 8 years? He was pronounced by Dundon to be the only untouchable player on the team last year. Why are we screwing around and not getting him signed? It shouldn’t have taken this long or come to this. And last year we traded guys who needed contracts. The optics of this are very concerning to say the least.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

He may have turned down a 8 x 6 million in October/ November.  Aho said no thanks we’ll talk after i put 80 this season.

Let’s hope that is what happened. Still, get him signed yesterday.

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

As expected Aho isn’t available.

That's the only thing I'm looking for, just some positive vibe?

A successful day one at the draft with the selection of Ryan Suzuki. Today could be a lot more interesting. We might get a sense today if DW has some deals in the works to shore up our offence, likely around one of Faulk or Hamilton for a top six winger. Or, maybe he looks at Puljujarvi for picks. He is an interesting wildcard based on his history with Aho. A big-bodied winger with good wheels. That would help, for sure, but the bigger problem remains 2C.  Not sure there is all that much available, maybe we take a flyer on Carter or Turris. Or, go all in for Nazim Kadri. We also need to figure out who our tenders will be next season. Jonathan Quick is an interesting option if Petr decides to seek greener pastures and can likely be had for picks and prospects. Lots of moving parts right now.

13 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

Are they all unreasonable?

No. Their agents are.

Our new owner said early on he's not going to do stupid things. So far he hasn't, and has had success, so we shouldn't be surprised that he's not doing stupid things now.

Anybody looking at Faulk's numbers the last five years and saying the guy deserves a raise doesn't understand the concept of rewarding performance. He got a sweetheart deal much too early, and despite bestowing the (very questionable) mantle of All-Star on him, twice, the return we've been offered has been consistent: low.

We're fond of saying around here that hockey is a business. Well, if you analyze the Faulk situation as the business world would, his salary (price) is clearly out of step with his market value. Teams are offering low returns in proposed trades because of the contract he is on. When they factor in what he is still owed, they can't justify letting go of the player(s) we sought in exchange. His fans may not agree, but his fans don't have to pay him--our trading partners do. The entire business world (companies that survive, at least) gives raises based on performance, not potential. I'm glad we have an owner who actually understands that, and is determined to run things that way.

Aho has been good, but he's not Crosby--yet. If he wants 8 million, that means he's doing the same thing Gaudreau did when he was an RFA: seeing how much he could get. Ultimately, he got $6.75 million for six years, and it took until October to close the deal. Even though I'd prefer a bridge deal at around six for Aho, because I think he will be worth $8 million in another three years, the team has to work with what his agent is seeking, which (as always, with agents) is "as much as possible, right freakin' now!" So I have a feeling we may see something very similar to the Gaudreau resolution play out with SeaBass, because his performance thus far has been equivalent.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

Your reasoning as always top, is spot on. I lost it a bit last night as I suppose seeing all the negativity building, including reports (likely false) over Aho, wanting to make something happen with Faulk and the constant harangue of the "cheapness of Tom Dundon" just boiled over. The pick, Ryan Suzuki, brought me back to reality. Funny though, I have long advocated that owners need to be less impetuous with spending, which as I view this recklessness down the road, escalates to the point of the most hated thing about our sport for fans, IMO, work stoppage. For any on here who've not experienced that glitch, they are not fun. So for me to fall into the camp of "whatever it takes to get Aho plus a goalie in camp is sort of disingenuous? I'm back on track now, I think?

I suppose my only lingering regret at the moment is the fact that a trade for Faulk, which I've been on board with for quite some time, will be done in somewhat the same atmosphere as we experienced last year with Skinner. Thus we get low balled because he's only got one more year on his contract. As much as I've shuttered when he's on the ice, I did see a noticeable difference in his play, particularly his D, last year. It's just a shame that we can't get full value for him right now, and further, that teams now see that his negotiations are going poorly putting us (Waddell) in further compromise. That he's a top 4 RHD hopefully will offset some of the dealing from weakness that Waddell must now undertake.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2019 at 2:57 AM, KJUNKANE said:

I will say one thing that would really make me happy, if Justin decides he's had enough, I would love to get Corey Perry. He would definitely change the face of this franchise and give that twerp, Brad Marchand a run for his money in the Eastern Conference. I've had my eye on him for many years, and think his experience could be invaluable to our team. Wouldn't that be a coup, and further I read thatches' got a "burning desire" to go for another Cup. Wonder?????

If JW doesn't resign...yes we still need veteran leadership. Instead of Perry I'd go all in on Joe Pavelski. He would be great in Carolina and would fill in our need for a center nicely. SJS probably has room to resign him but I would go all in if available.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

If JW doesn't resign...yes we still need veteran leadership. Instead of Perry I'd go all in on Joe Pavelski. He would be great in Carolina and would fill in our need for a center nicely. SJS probably has room to resign him but I would go all in if available.

But that's just if, slapshot, I would bet that SJS will resign and if not, I'd doubt that we could attract him here? I'd love it if I were wrong.

I love it when posters have to qualify there opinion with "if you don't see it my way your not paying attention, or you don't understand" or other such nonsense.  :shakeshead:  Give me a break.

On Aho, I suspect he will end up around just under 8-mil AAV.

• Like 2

Carolina trades 2020 6th round pick to Toronto for Patrick Marleau, a conditional 1st round pick in the 2020 draft, and a 7th round pick in the 2020 draft.

Elliotte Freedman tweets that we will buy out Marleau and he possibly will return to SJ.

Edited by spyglass88

1 minute ago, spyglass88 said:

Carolina trades 2020 6th round pick to Toronto for Patrick Marleau, a conditional 1st round pick in the 2020 draft, and a 7th round pick in the 2020 draft.

Im not a fan of the move. Im sure this is only the first move.

doesnt help us now.

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

doesnt help us now.

Just edited my post to include Freedman's comment that we will buy him out. So we'll get a conditional 1st + 7th for a 6th + buyout. Looks like DW is trying to put together some package of picks for a trade?

4 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Elliotte Freedman tweets that we will buy out Marleau and he possibly will return to SJ.

Wait...what?

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

doesnt help us now.

Especially since reports are that we're buying him out so he likely still returns to SJ... We essentially bought a first rounder from them. Not exactly a "help us now" type of move. 

Just now, Stealth-ch1 said:

Especially since reports are that we're buying him out so he likely still returns to SJ... We essentially bought a first rounder from them. Not exactly a "help us now" type of move. 

If we package that for a “help us now” player, then this just became a highway robbery trade 

• Like 1

Im wasn’t interested unless johnsson or Kapanen was coming back to help us now.

conditional 1st or not it doesn’t help us now.

also Toronto’s pick will be bottom half anyways.

Capfriendly says that the conditional 1st round pick is this: if the Leafs pick is top 10 in 2020, we'll instead receive the Leafs 1st round pick in 2021. 

Pierre LeBrun is saying that we'll try to convince Marleau to play for us, but if answer is no we'll buy him out (he only has one year left on his contract).

Edited by spyglass88

2 minutes ago, Stealth-ch1 said:

... I'm so confused now

Just now, spyglass88 said:

Capfriendly says that the conditional 1st round pick is this: if the Leafs pick is top 10 in 2020, we'll instead receive the Leafs 1st round pick in 2021. 

Others are saying that we'll try to convince Marleau to play for us, but if not we'll buy him out.

So we trade a 6th and pay a player way past his prime to no longer play here and get a first because of it?

F**K YAH!